Windows 10: Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space

Discus and support Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I migrated my SSD and two WD Blue 2TB hard drives to a new build. The two drives were originally a mirrored array. I wiped them in anticipation of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GP40X, Jun 3, 2020.

1. GP40X Win User

Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space

I migrated my SSD and two WD Blue 2TB hard drives to a new build. The two drives were originally a mirrored array. I wiped them in anticipation of the move to the new machine (old case had 9 3.5 drive bays, new case had 2). I converted the drives to basic disks and cloned my old data drive (not C drive) to one of the discs. I planned on setting up a new mirrored array in the new machine. The two HDDs were slightly different in size and I had to shrink the new cloned drive to the same size as the slightly smaller disk I was trying to add to the array. No matter what I did, I could not get the drives to mirror (when I clocked on mirror after getting the drives to the same size, I could not locate it in the mirror drive screen). I finally saw something that said to use storage space to get it to set up so I started to set up the drive (WD Blue) then closed storage spaces without completing the set up because it looked like it would wipe the data on my data drive. When I closed the storae spaces screen, the allocated drive disappeared from Disk management and I can not seem to get it back. The HDD shows up in BIOS and in Device Manager but it will not show up in Disk management. I have already performed rescan disk and tried to refresh Disk management multiple times. Any Ides what I did wrong or what I am missing? Running WIN10 Pro 64 bit version 1909 (OS Build 18363.778). Thanks In Advance

:)

GP40X, Jun 3, 2020

2. Hard Drive Storage

I have a 500Gb Hard Drive, running Windows 10 Pro version 1909. My c drive is nearly full, I have checked every area on the pc and nothing adds up to the 486Gb I'm supposed to have available. I have gone to Settings > System > Storage - it shows that 401Gb
    is being taken up by Apps and features but when I click on this and show the list of installed apps with their sizes, I have added up the entire list and it comes to 25Gb total. It doesn't show what's eating up the rest of the 400Gb of space. I have deleted
    everything I can and have only been able to free up 11Gb so far so my c drive is still showing red. At this point is the only other step to reload the pc, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be and how to fix?

Thanks,

Heather

Heather Clemons, Jun 3, 2020
  3. Windows is taking up too much hard drive space.

Hi Trisha,

Windows might have been accumulated large drive space due to installed apps, temporary files, or etc. For us to identify which item mostly accumulates your drive space, we suggest that you check it here:

• Click on Start.
    • Type Storage, and then press Enter.
    • Under Local Storage, click on This
      PC (CHard drive disappeared after using Storage Space :).
    • On this window, you will see which item mot accumulate your drive space.

We also recommend that you follow the steps given on this article on how to
    free up drive space in Windows 10
    . Click on every drop down to view the steps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, Jun 3, 2020
  4. Questmore Win User

Why all storage space of pen drive and external hard drive not available for storage

Hi All.....

Why all storage space of pen drive and external hard drive not available for storage in windows operating system.Why windows operating design or develop like that I able to use all storage space of pen drive and external hard drive for storage purpose.

Questmore, Jun 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Hard drive disappeared after using Storage Space - Similar Threads - Hard drive disappeared

2. Storage Spaces Disappears After Replacing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Spaces Disappears After Replacing Boot Drive: My Win 10 Pro system has eight physical disks: one boot drive, one CD-ROM, and six HDDs in a Storage Spaces array. Everything works fine. The boot drive was getting full, so I replaced it with another drive with twice the capacity. Both drives are SSDs, and I "cloned" the...
  3. Storage Space Disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Space Disappeared: Hello, After a sudden power outage in my area today, my Storage Space configuration no longer works. I had one pool consisting of about 8 drives, and it was divided into 6 storage spaces. None of the physical drives appear directly in Windows, and only 4 of the storage...
  4. OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space

OneDrive Using Hard Drive Storage Space: Why is OneDrive taking up space on my hard drive? The storage info says OneDrive is using 33 GB. I needed a new computer and bought one a few months ago. Had to get one with 128 GB because computers were sold out everywhere. I figured that since I have OneDrive, only the apps...
  5. Hard drive space disappeared after cloning

Hard drive space disappeared after cloning: My 500 GB hard drive space kept shrinking so I installed a 1t ssd m2 Western Digital and used Acronis to do a clone. On the 'old' hard drive the space used was around 453g. After the clone to the new 1t ssd I had the same thing..453g. I extended the partition on the 'new' ssd...
  6. External hard drive not detected after using as storage space for Windows 10 update

External hard drive not detected after using as storage space for Windows 10 update: I cannot access my external hard drive after I tried to use it for storage space for a Windows 10 update. How can I access my files without reformatting my drive? When I go into disk management the option to choose a driver is not available....
  7. Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size

Storage Spaces with hard drives of different size: I have read a lot about storage spaces and I do use it since it has been available to bundle my hard drives. Now I want to reduce the amount of drives, but I'm not sure whether I need to do it all at once creating a new pool with a new drive and moive the files or if I could...
  8. Hard drive storage space

Hard drive storage space: What is the maximum amount of storage space Windows 10 can recognize \ utilize? I am setting up external hard drives for multiple storage locations and I want to know what the limit is that windows can recognize and use at any given time. I contacted support and was told the...
  9. Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?

Is it possible to use part of hard drive with storage spaces?: I'm trying to create a storage pool for parity with 4 3TB drives and use 3TB of a 4TB drive that also has my OS. When I go to create the pool the 4 3TB drives show up but the unallocated space on the 4TB with my OS doesn't show up. I have done some research and heard...
  10. Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disappearing hard drive space with SFC /Scannow: I am using sfc /scannow on Windows 10 Pe environment. The SFC /Scannow fails to repair the corruption. Everytime i use it, i notice that i am losing aobut 2 to 2.5 gb of space. My WINSXS is about 27 GB(is this normal?). Any suggestion? 94175