Windows 10: Hard drive disappeared after Windows update

Discus and support Hard drive disappeared after Windows update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently updated my desktop to Windows 10 Pro 1903 from 1803. I was having some issues so I updated it using the Media Creation Tool on a USB, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by c.laranjeira, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Hard drive disappeared after Windows update

I recently updated my desktop to Windows 10 Pro 1903 from 1803. I was having some issues so I updated it using the Media Creation Tool on a USB, I booted using the USB and decided to reinstall Windows only (the other option was to upgrade but that wasn't applicable at the time). I found it odd that only one drive was showing up when I had to choose which drive to install Windows on. But none the less I chose the one appearing drive, my raid volume (which was my original plan), and went ahead with the install. It finished normally, I setup Windows, it said that all my data from before the update would be moved to "windows.old" which was fine by me. It booted up, I entered my password as normal, got to the desktop, which was blank except for some Windows apps. I then wanted to check if my other 3TB Seagate Barracuda was still initialised as a drive (it has all my games on it and was separate to the raid volume). I checked disk management and it didn't appear, nothing on a separate line, nothing to indicate that there was in fact another drive installed. I thought to check device manager, but under disk there was only my raid volume. I decided to check the bios, all that appeared was my two raid 1 drives. I then tested to see if it was a hardware problem, either the cable or the drive itself. I turned the pc on and felt the drive, it was spinning, everything was connected properly.

I tried installing the Seagate Seatools application to see if that would recognise the drive, and nothing.

I can say with certainty that is isn't a hardware problem as it was working perfectly fine prior to the update.

I don't know if it will help but here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon e5-1603 0

GPU: Galax GTX 1060 6GB OC

Motherboard: some HP one I have no idea

Storage: 2 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda HDD (Intel Raid 1) + 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

RAM: 16GB DDR3

And the pc is an HP Z420 workstation if anyone's wondering.

Thanks in advance.

:)

c.laranjeira, Oct 18, 2019
  2. little cat, Oct 18, 2019
  3. $immond$ Win User
    Windowed Hard Drives

On the contrary, showing off "slow tech" by adding a window to a hard drive is a "dumb" idea. Do you really want to be showing off a whole "7200-10000 RPM of power" or would you rather show off a plain SSD drive? (If you really desire to "show off")

Adding any window to any drive is just stupid. I just suggested an easier option for you since manufactures don't put windows on the latest hard drives.

$immond$, Oct 18, 2019
  4. Hard drive disappeared after Windows update

Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

Hard drive disappeared after Windows update

1. Hard drive disappeared after Windows update - Similar Threads - Hard drive disappeared

2. Hard Drive Keeps Disappearing after Windows 11 Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Keeps Disappearing after Windows 11 Update: Hard drive keeps disappearing. On re-boot it re-appears. Then it's ok for a bit and disappears again. C drive is ok. It's the D drive that keeps disappearing. It's an internal drive. I just did the Windows 11 update on 2/8/2023. That's when the issue started. Don't have the...
  3. Hard Drive Keeps Disappearing after Windows 11 Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive Keeps Disappearing after Windows 11 Update: Hard drive keeps disappearing. On re-boot it re-appears. Then it's ok for a bit and disappears again. C drive is ok. It's the D drive that keeps disappearing. It's an internal drive. I just did the Windows 11 update on 2/8/2023. That's when the issue started. Don't have the...
  4. After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.: Windows update installed automatically which was security update KB5010342. I made 3 partition on Disk 1 but only one visible other 2 is gone. Disk 1 is inserted by cd rom port like additionally.I do uninstall everytime, then it becomes allright back again like i was normal....
  5. After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.: Windows update installed automatically which was security update KB5010342. I made 3 partition on Disk 1 but only one visible other 2 is gone. Disk 1 is inserted by cd rom port like additionally.I do uninstall everytime, then it becomes allright back again like i was normal....
  6. After installing windows update partition on additional hard drive is disappeared.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Hard drive disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive disappeared: hi, my hard drive which I've used for about 5 months has just disappeared as soon as I've put intake fans onto my pc. I've tried trying a new SATA cable and nothing works. It doesn't even show up in my disk management. Could someone please help?...
  8. Hard drive disappeared after a windows update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive disappeared after a windows update: Last night I shut down my laptop and it said it had an update that it had to do before it shut down, then the next morning when I turned on my laptop my hard drive was completely gone I watched some tutorials on how to fix it but most of the tutorials required disk management...
  9. Hard drive disappeared

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive disappeared: Something is screwed up with my computer. My D drive is just gone, my computer continues to constantly crash, and it’s very slow. I have norton installed and whenever I do a scan it says there are no viruses. I have restarted it multiple times and nothing happened. And when...
  10. Windows hard drive disappeared

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows hard drive disappeared: Something is screwed up with my computer. My D drive is just gone, my computer continues to constantly crash, and it’s very slow. I have norton installed and whenever I do a scan it says there are no viruses. I have restarted it multiple times and nothing happened. And when I...