Windows 10: Hard drive displays more storage than it can hold.

Discus and support Hard drive displays more storage than it can hold. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So recently I went to check the storage on my hard drive, to see if its running out of space. But when I checked it it showed that my desktop folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NathanM6, Dec 22, 2020.

1. NathanM6 Win User

Hard drive displays more storage than it can hold.

So recently I went to check the storage on my hard drive, to see if its running out of space. But when I checked it it showed that my desktop folder had anywhere between 2.82 EB of files in it to 11.7 EB.
    All of the folders on the hard drive seem to have inflated sizes on the built in storage tab in settings.

Is this just a visual error or something different?
    My hard drive still displays it's actual storage above it its just the individual folders.

Hard drive displays more storage than it can hold. bdf44201-eaf0-4900-8ab6-3adaf5e3cf9a?upload=true.png

:)

NathanM6, Dec 22, 2020

2. Hard Drive Storage

I have a 500Gb Hard Drive, running Windows 10 Pro version 1909. My c drive is nearly full, I have checked every area on the pc and nothing adds up to the 486Gb I'm supposed to have available. I have gone to Settings > System > Storage - it shows that 401Gb
    is being taken up by Apps and features but when I click on this and show the list of installed apps with their sizes, I have added up the entire list and it comes to 25Gb total. It doesn't show what's eating up the rest of the 400Gb of space. I have deleted
    everything I can and have only been able to free up 11Gb so far so my c drive is still showing red. At this point is the only other step to reload the pc, or does anyone have any suggestions as to what it might be and how to fix?

Thanks,

Heather

Heather Clemons, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Best 2.5-inch hard drive for storage and gaming?

1TB 5,400 RPM:
    • Seagate 1TB BarraCuda $54.78
    • Seagate 1TB Firecuda Gaming $65.50
    • WD Blue 1TB $56.89
    1TB 7,200 RPM:
    • WD Black 1TB $73.95
    • HGST Travelstar 7K1000 1TB $59.93
    Which one is the best 2.5-inch hard drive for storage and gaming?.

The hard drive is for the Fractal Design Node 202 Mini ITX case.

RodoGodo19, Dec 22, 2020
  4. pjscott51 Win User

Hard drive not displaying correct storage

I'm running Windows 10 pro 64bit with a Asus P9X79 motherboard.

I have 4 WD black 4TB hard drives installed.

Each of the hard drives show a total storage of 2.72TB. I realize that with a hard drive you never get the full amount of the displayed drive but it seems like I show have over 3TB of storage.

Can someone please tell me if there's something that I've done or need to do to get more storage from the drives?

Thanks,

Paul

pjscott51, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Hard drive displays more storage than it can hold. - Similar Threads - Hard drive displays

2. Can't hold key for more than 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't hold key for more than 30 seconds: So, basically, my problem is that I can't hold a key down for more than around 30-40 seconds. For example: If I'm holding down W in a videogame, my character will stop walking after 30 seconds and I will have to press W again to continue walking. This is really annoying in...
  3. Can't hold key for more than 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't hold key for more than 30 seconds: So, basically, my problem is that I can't hold a key down for more than around 30-40 seconds. For example: If I'm holding down W in a videogame, my character will stop walking after 30 seconds and I will have to press W again to continue walking. This is really annoying in...
  4. Can't hold key for more than 30 seconds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Can't copy to external hard drive more than 30 GB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't copy to external hard drive more than 30 GB: I bought a new 2.5" SATA external case of 8TB. But when trying to copy files from my computer, it only copies 30 GB and then it shows error 0x80070570.I use windows 10 on my PC.I checked with Window's check disk and there is no problem. I tried to format the external hard...
  6. Hard drive storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive storage: I need to clear a significant amount of storage space from my hard drive. How do I do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-storage/16d4e2cc-69ae-4b0e-8a86-337326091d29
  7. Can A Microsoft Account can hold More than 1 registered windows?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can A Microsoft Account can hold More than 1 registered windows?: I have purchased a new laptop and it has come with licensed windows 10 pro activated, then what will happen if I will try to login with my Microsoft account that is already linked with another windows 10 pro license? Can I have multiple windows product keys registered with...
  8. Hard Drive Storage

Hard Drive Storage: I have a 500Gb Hard Drive, running Windows 10 Pro version 1909. My c drive is nearly full, I have checked every area on the pc and nothing adds up to the 486Gb I'm supposed to have available. I have gone to Settings > System > Storage - it shows that 401Gb is being taken up...
  9. Reserved Storage took more storage than System Files

Reserved Storage took more storage than System Files: So I've finished installing Windows 10 version 1903, To see that I only have 5 GB left on my SSD. (It's a 32 GB SSD.) So I've figured it was only Windows Update files. So I ran Disk Cleanup. After I ran Disk Cleanup, I only have 9 GB. Now I wanted to see what was going on. I...
  10. Hard drive used space more than doubled...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive used space more than doubled...: Can't figure this out. Have a Tablet 2 in 1 with W10 and 32GB SSD. Have not installed any programs. A few days ago the size of the used space on he drive was 7.8 now, it is 16.6GB. Any clues? 63598