Windows 10: Hard drive dock

Discus and support Hard drive dock in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a hard drive dock and just got a new computer. What will happen if I try to put my old hard drive in to the usb hard drive dock? will it be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by bha19, Feb 16, 2016.

1. bha19 Win User

Hard drive dock

I have a hard drive dock and just got a new computer. What will happen if I try to put my old hard drive in to the usb hard drive dock? will it be usable or do I need to format it first?

:)

bha19, Feb 16, 2016
  2. G.Ilex Win User

Connecting a WD Xtrnal hard drive to Lumia 950 XL

That will not work. The phone can't provide enough power to spin up that drive or any hard drive.

That wil only work when you use the Display Dock, that can provide the needed power.

But only if the drive is recognized by the phone, not al hard drives work on the dock.

G.Ilex, Feb 16, 2016
  3. Marc Cai Win User
    Hard drive dock restarting

Hello,

It is a good idea to use a drive dock that will serve as drive expansion bay. Regarding your concern, what type of storage drive are you using? Is it a USB thumb drive or an external hard drive? There are a few reasons why the drive plugged on a dock will keep
    on restarting. the most common is the connection of the dock to the PC is loosing, or can be that the hardware has worn out.

Try to use the dock over another PC so we can isolate the case.

Awaiting for your update.

Marc Cai, Feb 16, 2016
  4. swarfega Win User

Hard drive dock

Is the drive used or new? If its brand new then you may have to format it.

swarfega, Feb 16, 2016
  5. Do you mean an external Hard Drive case? Well typically hard drives for desktop are 3.5" and HD for laptops are 2.5" so the case has to match. They also have the mini MSATA drives and they have external cases to fit them. If you put the drive into the case and plug the USB cable into your USB port it should be recognized and assigned a drive letter by your compute. Now if that drive was used as a boot drive it will still have Windows on it. Having Windows on it won't be a problem unless you change the boot order in BIOS but Windows will take up space.

orlbuckeye, Feb 16, 2016
  6. It should be recognized as an external, and let you access the files. If you use the same user account, you won't have any issues. If you use a different user account, you may have to take ownership of the files before accessing them.

DeaconFrost, Feb 16, 2016
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

What sort of computer is it -- if it's like a NAS / miniserver / microserver then it will have a number of HDD bays where you can just mount the HDD into the caddy (usually 4 screws is all that's needed) and then insert into the bay. Depending on the machine (Hot swappable or Non Hot swappable) you might need to re-boot -- and if it's RAID you'll have to add the HDD to a RAID array.

If it's an external device that you connect via USB port on the computer then Windows will simply recognize it as an external HDD. Windows can INSTALL but not BOOT WINDOWS from this type of device - unless you have a Windows to Go system. Linux can boot from an external USB device.

If external but connected to an Esata port if you are lucky enough to have that type of external connection the computer should recognize it as a "normal HDD" and WINDOWS will be able to be installed on it and also boot from it.

Without knowing the computer you are connecting this to - it's difficult to give a more specific answer.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2016
  8. bha19 Win User

Hard drive dock

Never mind I think I solved my own problem

bha19, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hard drive dock

1. Hard drive dock - Similar Threads - Hard drive dock

2. Repeatable crash with external drive dock

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repeatable crash with external drive dock: I've found an issue with windows hard crashing while using an external drive dock. This originally occurred on windows 10 on a separate computer, but i've discovered it also occurs on a new computer on windows 11, and will occur with different drives in the dock. The only...
  3. Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hates my external usb dock hard drive.: Long story short: In 2018 I Installed Windows 10 on an internal HD, and the system had an external USB dock with a 4TB drive attached. After 2 days of use, Windows 10 decided to helpfully 'repair' the 4TB drive. Forcing me to buy a 8TB drive to clone the 4TB drive, then...
  4. Windows plays connect/disconnect sound for hard drive docking station, but no drive appears

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows plays connect/disconnect sound for hard drive docking station, but no drive appears: I have a hard drive docking station, a Thermaltake BlackX Duet and it works fine for almost every drive, but I got a stack of hard drives that use to work in the docking station, but do not anymore. Windows 10 plays the sound as if the drives are connected, but no new drive...
  5. How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.: Hello, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Everything is working fine and the dock is recognized and seems to be working normally, except that it has a feature...
  6. How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to allow sleep mode for external hard drive docks.: Hello, I'm running the latest version of Windows 10. I have a new INATECK FD2005 external dual drive dock connected via USB to my Dell XPS 8910 desktop. Everything is working fine and the dock is recognized and seems to be working normally, except that it has a feature...
  7. Windows 10 and Sabrent docking station not reading Western Digital hard drive

Windows 10 and Sabrent docking station not reading Western Digital hard drive: I just purchased a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 and a Sabrent docking station to transfer my files off my Western Digital harddrive. It was recognized at first and I copied over several files however when I tried to access the My Documents folder on the WD harddrive it stopped...
  8. File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer won't recognize the presence of my USB external hard drive dock.: Hi Folks, Had a disaster with my hard drive (again.... second failed drive in as many years... not impressed with Dell.....) I managed to get the machine up and running with a drive from my old Asus laptop. Installed Windows10, downloaded & installed the apps I like to...
  9. BSOD KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE when ejecting hard drives from dock

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE when ejecting hard drives from dock: I'm at my wit's end on this one, have been trying to solve for months. I have a lot of data stored on internal SATA hard drives that I use a USB 3.0 dock to access. Whenever I properly eject a drive from the dock (using the remove USB device function in Windows) or just...
  10. Maximum drive size in a dock?

Maximum drive size in a dock?: I have a Dell T3400 with SATA 3 drives internally, and an outboard drive dock connected via USB 3.0. How can I determine the maximum drive size I can use in the dock? (Dell--and my own experience--say the internal drives can be up to 2 TB, but I don't know if that's a real...