Windows 10: Hard Drive doesn't display after power cut during boot.

Discus and support Hard Drive doesn't display after power cut during boot. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So, this one might be an interesting one for you guys and gals here. Sometimes overnight I leave my PC on to render videos for YouTube. I did that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TIGHazard, Jul 14, 2017.

1. TIGHazard Win User

Hard Drive doesn't display after power cut during boot.

So, this one might be an interesting one for you guys and gals here.

Sometimes overnight I leave my PC on to render videos for YouTube. I did that last night. This morning I got up and the PC was running slowly, which can be understandable. So, I hit shutdown and let it cool down.

Later this morning I turn the PC back on and just as the circles are spinning on the boot screen. POOF! Power cut. 30 minutes later, power is back on.

Attempt to turn on the PC. Motherboard displays it's branding, but no circle. I hit F11 and check the boot order. Instead of the HDD being displayed as "Microsoft Windows 10" as it usually is, it's displayed as a series of numbers and letters. Selecting it just makes a black screen appears - no recovery screen here.

I have no recovery media for Windows 10 (not sure if the Windows 8 recovery media will work in this instance, probably not). I do have a bootable "USB drive". It's actually an app on my phone called DriveDroid and it says will boot ISO images (I'm using Lite Linux right now to post this and download appropriate ISO's)

The only problem is that the official recovery tool is down on MS's site, so I'm not sure if this will work with the app (It was the second result on Google)

Additionally, I don't know if this will help, but attempting to access the HDD using Lite Linux brings up this text

Error mounting /dev/sda4 at /media/linux/2682EC8C82EC6233: Command-line `mount -t "ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999" "/dev/sda4" "/media/linux/2682EC8C82EC6233"' exited with non-zero exit status 14: The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
    Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
    Failed to mount '/dev/sda4': Operation not permitted
    The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown
    Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume
    read-only with the 'ro' mount option.

I have no idea what any of that means but i'm posting it to see if it will help in any way.

Thanks.

:)

TIGHazard, Jul 14, 2017
  2. IndyKenro Win User

Hard drive issues after 8/2/16 Windows 10 update

Hi,

Immediately after updating to Windows 10 build 1607 (i think?) on 8/2/16, my hard drive will become unrecognizable once the pc has been on anywhere from 5-20 minutes. Restarting the pc doesn't restore the drive but cutting off the power does. So every single
    time this occurs, I must unplug the pc and try to get some work done within that short time frame before the drive becomes unrecognizable again. Doesn't seem like a mechanical issues with the hard drive or sata cable since everything works perfectly after
    power is cut off and the pc is turned back on. Checked bios screen (bios is updated) and the hard drive isn't even listed as a boot option after it fails. Just before it becomes unrecognizable, the screen turns blue and there a brief message advising "we found
    a problem with your pc" then it just reboots to the bios screen. I did a clean reinstall of windows 10 but that didn't correct the issue as i'd hoped.

I'd appreciate any poss. solutions.

Thanks in advance.

IndyKenro, Jul 14, 2017
  3. If I unplug the HDMI cord from my secondary monitor (which is nonetheless numbered "1"), my primary monitor, which is DVI (nonetheless numbered "2"), immediately cuts out!

This is a problem because I have to lend out my HDMI monitor. However, without the HDMI plugged in, my computer will not display at all to my DVI monitor. I can enter the BIOS, but as soon as Windows boots, the DVI cuts out. However, if I connect a monitor
    to my HDMI port, the display immediately pops back up to my DVI monitor (even without a power cable attached to the HDMI monitor)! It doesn't matter whether I have the display extended or duplicated, if I unplug the HDMI, the DVI will not display-not even
    after a hard reset with only DVI plugged in. Additionally, if from the display options I select, "show only on 2" (my primary DVI monitor), the display cuts out just like I had unplugged the HDMI. Help! (Radeon 7800 graphics card, Windows 10)

BullofBashan, Jul 14, 2017
  4. Hard Drive doesn't display after power cut during boot.

What make is your HD? See if you can boot into safe mode?

Josey Wales, Jul 14, 2017
  5. TIGHazard Win User
    It's a Seagate. And I still get the black screen.

TIGHazard, Jul 14, 2017
  6. If you go to the Windows Media Creation Tool and create USB key.

Failing that download and create ISO disk.

This link also provides a route to safe ISO's

Need safe 1511 ISO

Hopefully there is a 1607 or 1703 iso.

Once booted, shift F10 to get to command prompt. Run chkdsk against main drive, no switches, to see what is reports. Your Windows 8.x should work for chkdsk.

Drive may be locked due to unnatural shutdown of Windows. Have to find tutorial on subject.

While this won't help this issue you need to have a UPS in line with wall outlet. Especially if you have street power issues.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jul 14, 2017
  7. Josey Wales, Jul 14, 2017
  8. TIGHazard Win User

> If you go to the Windows Media Creation Tool and create USB key.

Attempting to run that now after about 8 hours of trying to get Linux to format the USB correctly. Interestingly, Lite Linux gave an error attempting to open the drive, Ubuntu just opened the drive straight away (copied some files onto an external and they're fine)

> Once booted, shift F10 to get to command prompt. Run chkdsk against main drive, no switches, to see what is reports.

The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect

The volume BITMAP is incorrect

TIGHazard, Jul 15, 2017
  9. Berton Win User
    The MCT USB feature will automatically format/reformat the Thumb drive as FAT32 but speaking from experience it's best to use a Windows computer to do it. [I run Win10 CU, Win10 IP, Win7 and Linux Mint 17.] Some computers I've worked with wouldn't boot USB so the .iso download can be important in creating the bootable DVD. If doing an Upgrade I've had success in accessing the .iso file saved on other media/second partition then Mount it in File Explorer to run setup.exe.

Berton, Jul 15, 2017
  10. Excellent news that you can get files.

Have you looked into repairing MFT?

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard Drive doesn't display after power cut during boot. - Similar Threads - Hard Drive doesn't

2. hdd not found after power cut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hdd not found after power cut: there was a loud bang near my pc, and all the electric went off in the house at the mains.turned it back on and my extension lead with power surge protector would not work, swapped it to another and pc powered on, but went to bios, only my 2nd hd showing up and not my main...
  3. Windows doesn't boot after forced power off during updates installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows doesn't boot after forced power off during updates installation: Hello,I powered off my laptop during the updates installation as it got stuck, and now windows doesn't boot spinning wheel once computer is turned on.I tried to create a bootable USB and undo updates, and also run a repair, but it didn't help both processes were not...
  4. Windows doesn't boot after forced power off during updates installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows doesn't boot after forced power off during updates installation: Hello,I powered off my laptop during the updates installation as it got stuck, and now windows doesn't boot spinning wheel once computer is turned on.I tried to create a bootable USB and undo updates, and also run a repair, but it didn't help both processes were not...
  5. Windows doesn't boot after forced power off during updates installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Display cutting out randomly after hard drive swap

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display cutting out randomly after hard drive swap: I recently removed a 1TB hard disk from my PC and installed a 2TB SSD in its place. Both the old hard disk and the new SSD serve as secondary storage for games on my PC, my OS is installed on a 256GB SSD which I have not touched. The only thing I changed was which SATA power...
  7. Laptop doesn't boot with 2 hard drives installed after latest update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop doesn't boot with 2 hard drives installed after latest update: Hello, I am new here, but I've seen some helpful responses to other issues I've found through Google, so I thought I'll give this a shot. So I decided to finally migrate to Windows 10 in January, since Windows 7 support stopped. I bought myself a new SSD drive to use...
  8. Hard Drive - If the power is cut, can that be bad for it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive - If the power is cut, can that be bad for it?: I use SynBackPro to make two "mirror" copies of one folder on my C: to two 1 TB hard drives: Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX WD Black I have the hard drives on a power strip. I power them on and off, about once per day, to make a daily backup. After the copy has been...
  9. Hard drive doesn't boot or show up in bios after Windows update!

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard drive doesn't boot or show up in bios after Windows update!: This is my first post in the forums so I hope I'm posting in the correct section! Went to work today and shut my computer down and it had some updates well when I come home my computer was on a blank screen so I rebooted it and it came up with the bios but it was unusually...
  10. D: Drive Gone After Power Cut

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D: Drive Gone After Power Cut: So let me preface this by saying that I am no means a computer expert, and probably will not be able to provide the most useful information, but I will try. Basically my gaming laptop (Msi gs70 Stealth) turned off suddenly when I accidentally knocked out the charging cable...