Windows 10: Hard drive errors where to find the log as to what the cause is?

Discus and support Hard drive errors where to find the log as to what the cause is? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I think my hard drive is finally going because everyday I have to run a scan and it repairs something but what I don't know. Where is the log located... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by debgram, May 4, 2021.

1. debgram Win User

Hard drive errors where to find the log as to what the cause is?

I think my hard drive is finally going because everyday I have to run a scan and it repairs something but what I don't know. Where is the log located so I can check as to what the cause of my errors are? I did order a new one this time a SSD. I just need to get through the next few days until I get it. Thanks Windows 10 20H2 MB ROG STRIX B360-F gaming 16 GBs Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz

:)

debgram, May 4, 2021

2. Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, May 4, 2021
  3. axe0 Win User
    BSOD: Possibly caused by Errors on Hard Drive. Not sure...

Hi Jesse,

As you suspected the hard drive is having problems, it is possible that the hard drive is the root cause as the crash was caused by a memory access violation but that cannot be said with 100% certainty until it has been tested as a memory access violation has multiple causes.

Please try to run following tests, read it carefully and provide the requested photos/screenshots, to identify what the situation is with the hard drive.
    Please note that the tests may cause the system to crash again due to the bad blocks, if this is the case then I recommend to backup the data that cannot be lost and replace the hard drive a.s.a.p. or let it be replaced if there is warranty covering this.

Hard drive errors where to find the log as to what the cause is? [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    HDD TEST

Hard drive errors where to find the log as to what the cause is? arrow.png
    Run SeaTools to check the integrity of your HDD. SeaTools for DOS and Windows - How to Use - Windows 7 Help Forums
    Run following tests
    1. Short Drive Self Test
    2. Short generic
    3. Long generic
    If the short generic fails, no need for the long generic.

Note Do not run SeaTools on an SSD as the results will be invalid.
    Post screenshots/photos of the test results

Run chkdsk
    Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

Run HDTune to
    • scan for errors, no quick scan but full scan
    • check the health,
    • benchmark.
    It may take some time, but please take the time you need to perform it properly.
    When above is done please make screenshots of the following
    • the error scan,
    • the health,
    • the benchmark incl. following
      • transfer rate,
      • access time,
      • burst rate,
      • cpu usage.

The event logs has many of these logs that started to show up 4 months ago.
    Code:
    Code:
    Event[10414]:   Log Name: System   Source: disk   Date: 2016-05-21T17:23:14.316   Event ID: 153   Task: N/A   Level: Warning   Opcode: N/A   Keyword: Classic   User: N/A   User Name: N/A   Computer: Cindy-PC   Description:  The IO operation at logical block address 0x1c6d598 for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000029) was retried.  Event[10415]:   Log Name: System   Source: disk   Date: 2016-05-21T17:23:17.695   Event ID: 7   Task: N/A   Level: Error   Opcode: N/A   Keyword: Classic   User: N/A   User Name: N/A   Computer: Cindy-PC   Description:  The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

axe0, May 4, 2021
  4. Hard drive errors where to find the log as to what the cause is?

Error Log Reading

Hi ankurshaswat.

Sorry I can't tell from logs but all data appears to be very old. Like September. Here is a list of quick fixes that can help from an MS article.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...dy_UpgradeTips
    Quick fixes The following steps can resolve many Windows upgrade problems.

• Remove nonessential external hardware, such as docks and USB devices.
    • Check all hard drives for errors and attempt repairs. To automatically repair hard drives, open an elevated command prompt, switch to the drive you wish to repair, and type the following command. You will be required to reboot the computer if the hard drive being repaired is also the system drive.
      • chkdsk /F
    • Attempt to restore and repair system files by typing the following commands at an elevated command prompt. It may take several minutes for the command operations to be completed. For more information, see Repair a Windows Image.
      • DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
      • sfc /scannow
    • Update Windows so that all available recommended updates are installed, and ensure the computer is rebooted if this is necessary to complete installation of an update.
    • Uninstall non-Microsoft antivirus software.
      • Use Windows Defender for protection during the upgrade.
      • Verify compatibility information and re-install antivirus applications after the upgrade.
    • Uninstall all nonessential software.
    • Update firmware and drivers.
    • Ensure that "Download and install updates (recommended)" is accepted at the start of the upgrade process.
    • Verify at least 16 GB of free space is available to upgrade a 32-bit OS, or 20 GB for a 64-bit OS.

Once you done all of the above could I suggest you follow this tutorial to install the upgrade. While non destructive I would recommend backing up all data off device.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Then repost the logs please.

Caledon Ken, May 4, 2021
Thema:

Hard drive errors where to find the log as to what the cause is?

1. Hard drive errors where to find the log as to what the cause is? - Similar Threads - Hard drive errors

2. Where are my hard drive files????

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are my hard drive files????: My one drive kept getting full so i kept deleting things thinking i was deleting one drive cloud files and i just noticed my harddrive folders missing. I did not spprove that why would you do that???? I want my files back microsoft!!!! They ste on my hard drive because i want...
  3. Where are my hard drive files????

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where are my hard drive files????: My one drive kept getting full so i kept deleting things thinking i was deleting one drive cloud files and i just noticed my harddrive folders missing. I did not spprove that why would you do that???? I want my files back microsoft!!!! They ste on my hard drive because i want...
  4. Trying to find out what was this log error about

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to find out what was this log error about: LED KEEPER 2 KEEPS CRASHING LEADS TO PC STUTTERING FOR FEW SECONDS. MOUSE , KEYBOARD , AUDIO , RGB, EVERYTHING STOP WORKINGTHIS IS THE ERROR I FOUND IN EVENT VIEWER RIGHT WHEN MY PC HAS AN INTERMITTENTLog Name: ApplicationSource: .NET RuntimeDate: 27-Jan-24 5:29:19 AMEvent...
  5. Trying to find out what was this log error about

Trying to find out what was this log error about: LED KEEPER 2 KEEPS CRASHING LEADS TO PC STUTTERING FOR FEW SECONDS. MOUSE , KEYBOARD , AUDIO , RGB, EVERYTHING STOP WORKINGTHIS IS THE ERROR I FOUND IN EVENT VIEWER RIGHT WHEN MY PC HAS AN INTERMITTENTLog Name: ApplicationSource: .NET RuntimeDate: 27-Jan-24 5:29:19 AMEvent...
  6. Finding my hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Finding my hard drives: The June MS updates crashed my Windows 10 and I couldn't find any way to recover it, so I had to reinstall Windows. I had two multi-TB physical drives with multiple partitions each. I had 2 system partitions for Windows and a backup Windows, a huge data partition, and a data...
  7. Finding my hard drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Finding my hard drives: The June MS updates crashed my Windows 10 and I couldn't find any way to recover it, so I had to reinstall Windows. I had two multi-TB physical drives with multiple partitions each. I had 2 system partitions for Windows and a backup Windows, a huge data partition, and a data...
  8. Finding my hard drives

9. Failing flash drive causes windows not to find driver for hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Failing flash drive causes windows not to find driver for hard drive: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2...LoUc1hsNy1jUBl The only thing different from the specs in the link is that I added a pci e Nvidia Quadro nvs 310 ddr3 GPU. I was doing a clean install of Windows 10 on my Dell optiplex 755 large case and when the install process got to...
  10. BSOD: Possibly caused by Errors on Hard Drive. Not sure...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD: Possibly caused by Errors on Hard Drive. Not sure...: For more on this BSOD (Crash), please refer to C Drive Missing in Windows 10 - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums. Attachment 81014 51031