Windows 10: hard drive failed and the efi partition was deleted

Discus and support hard drive failed and the efi partition was deleted in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; the hard drive in my pc failed yesterday i managed to get almost everything back but the efi partition is lost so i can't boot into windows 10 is there... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yunhblay, Nov 12, 2018.

1. yunhblay Win User

hard drive failed and the efi partition was deleted

the hard drive in my pc failed yesterday i managed to get almost everything back but the efi partition is lost so i can't boot into windows 10 is there anyway i can recreate it??
    i use a gpt motherboard

:)

yunhblay, Nov 12, 2018
  2. trog100 Win User

Move EFI partition

its to enable win 10 to update to its anniversary edition.. it cant do this due to lack of C drive space i have had a quick try with the trial version of easus.. it didnt seem to be able to do what i want..

i am assuming i cant just delete the efi partition but maybe i could.. as yet i havnt even figured out how to get into the bios of the thing.. maybe that should be my next step.. *Smile hard drive failed and the efi partition was deleted :)

diskpart could probably do it but figuring out how (it aint that user friendly) might be difficult without step by step instructions..

trog

trog100, Nov 12, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 12, 2018
  4. Dia01 Win User

Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Nov 12, 2018
Thema:

1. hard drive failed and the efi partition was deleted - Similar Threads - hard drive failed

2. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition: Hello,My first problem is that i run powershell with admin rights and ran chkdsk f: /f /r . I thought it would restart pc after that but no, just started running chkdsk until now, so i could access the disk. Now, after about 3 hours total progress is 0%, but in phase 2, is...
  3. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition: Hello,My first problem is that i run powershell with admin rights and ran chkdsk f: /f /r . I thought it would restart pc after that but no, just started running chkdsk until now, so i could access the disk. Now, after about 3 hours total progress is 0%, but in phase 2, is...
  4. Several problems with hard drives, with CHKDSK and EFI partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. EFI partition on wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition on wrong drive: I have an SSD and an HDD. Windows is on the SSD but as you can see EFI and recovery partitions (there are two for some reason) are on the other drive. I'm not sure if it's always been like that but after dual booting with ubuntu probably had something to do with it. I've...
  6. Stupidly Deleted Hard Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stupidly Deleted Hard Drive Partition: Ok, so I stupidly Deleted a 3tb hard drive which has 2 1.5tb partitions. I have done a bit of searching and a large majority only let you recover like 1gb of data being you need to buy, (minitool and lazesoft recovery suite). A fair few people recommend testdisk/Photorec or...
  7. Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Deleted boot partitions, creating new EFI partition failed, next steps?: I have a few different drives in my computer, and recently installed Linux Mint (an OS I have used quite a bit) onto an nVme drive I salved from my Surface Pro 4 (dog ate it...). Anyway, for a while I've had a weird issue when starting Windows, where it would give me two...
  8. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  9. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Support
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  10. EFI Partitions on wrong drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI Partitions on wrong drive: Hi, After removing an SSD (W*Smile from my rig I discovered that my system would no longer boot and gave the error: NTDLL not found. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. I put the drive back and was able to boot. Attached is my disk management. I recently installed plugged...