Windows 10: Hard Drive freezing or breaking everything it interacts with

Discus and support Hard Drive freezing or breaking everything it interacts with in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old 1Tb HDD that I decided to put in my windows 10 pc to upgrade. Everything that interacts with the hard drive either freezes or breaks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PepperoniPizza, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Hard Drive freezing or breaking everything it interacts with

I have an old 1Tb HDD that I decided to put in my windows 10 pc to upgrade. Everything that interacts with the hard drive either freezes or breaks entirely. windows explorer forever loads when opening the "This PC" menu although it does show up without a volume, device manager freezes interacting with the hard drive, and going into disk management shows nothing and just says "connecting to virtual disk service"

Not only can I not interact with the disk in any way it can't be formatted I've tried running windows 10 setup and windows 7 after getting a black screen with windows 10 and a BSOD with Windows 7 I gave up after a few hours. CMD yields no results after running "format D:" it breaks cmd although attempting to run it earlier came back with an error. Putting in a USB and running the same commands works as expected

Hard Drive freezing or breaking everything it interacts with 780b7ca7-cf61-4261-80ab-988adc6f87d7?upload=true.png

Hard Drive freezing or breaking everything it interacts with 5b8574e7-188f-44ec-a4af-4c6314979c4f?upload=true.png

Installing external programs to attempt to format the drive either breaks the program or just freezes it entirely.

Hard Drive freezing or breaking everything it interacts with 055ac853-5b40-4981-81f6-ef895025f0ed?upload=true.png
    I've searched forums and found someone with this exact problem the answer they got was to run "sfc /scannow" this came back with nothing helpful

I've worked on computers before and have a reasonable amount of knowledge I've never asked online for help, but I can't think of anything other than the drive is either corrupt or broken entirely but I'm hoping I won't have to buy another hard drive

:)

PepperoniPizza, Nov 17, 2019
  2. Zero Cool Win User

Hard drive freezing

your hard drive is freezing? what cooling you got?

Zero Cool, Nov 17, 2019
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Hard Drive freezing or breaking everything it interacts with

little cat, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Hard Drive freezing or breaking everything it interacts with

1. Hard Drive freezing or breaking everything it interacts with - Similar Threads - Hard Drive freezing

2. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  3. External Hard drive freezes computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard drive freezes computer: Hi, I have this external hard drive that freezes my computer every time I plug it in. Iv had it for about 3 weeks now and would really like to not have to buy a another one. I dont mine if I have to lose data on it to get it back, I have tried to look up how to fix it but...
  4. External Hard Drive NOT showing everything

in Windows 10 Support
    External Hard Drive NOT showing everything: Darn if it is NOT one thing it is another. I have a small external hard drive that I save Ebooks on. It is about one half full. This morning all of a sudden it is only showing folders A-J. How do I get it to show everything folders A-Z? Thanks 183336
  5. FREEZES EVERYTHING

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FREEZES EVERYTHING: THIS ERROR IN EVENT VIEWER The wuauserv service terminated with the following error: The system cannot find the file specified. Freezes my pc most of the time https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/freezes-everything/df785b8f-e037-4795-996d-14cf2db5c0da
  6. Windows 10 update breaking hard drives?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update breaking hard drives?: Ever since the latest came out windows has destroyed 2 hard drives mine and my boyfriends. I was lucky enough to have a backup but it has windows 7 and no drivers installed. Can i have microsoft pay for the damages to the computers or can they replace my stuff for me since it...
  7. Microsoft Office Breaks Everything

Microsoft Office Breaks Everything: This is a bit of an odd one. Whenever I try to use any microsoft office application, it will disable itself, and glitch everything out. From this point on I can't exit out of the application and it completely disables my task manager, control panel, and file explorer on...
  8. computer freeze, hard drive 100%

computer freeze, hard drive 100%: okay, whatever this issue is its getting on my nerves. this never happened on any other os besides 10. everyday at random (while gaming), ill have these freeze/hangs that boosts my hard drive activity to 100% and makes the game freeze. itll sit here for a minute or more! and...
  9. computer freeze, hard drive 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer freeze, hard drive 100%: okay, whatever this issue is its getting on my nerves. this never happened on any other os besides 10. everyday at random (while gaming), ill have these freeze/hangs that boosts my hard drive activity to 100% and makes the game freeze. itll sit here for a minute or more! and...
  10. Freezing external hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Freezing external hard drives: I've been trying to transfer files to several external hard drives of mine in order to clear up space on my HDD, however every time I do begin a transfer, it will only do so for about 2-3 seconds, and then the transfer rate will drop rapidly until it is 0mb/s. It remains...