Windows 10: Hard drive frequently at full disk use capacity

Discus and support Hard drive frequently at full disk use capacity in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; [img] [img] This is a common issue I am experiencing. Why is my hard drive's disk use so high? Is there anything I can do that doesn't adversely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tollbooth, Oct 30, 2016.

1. tollbooth Win User

Hard drive frequently at full disk use capacity

Hard drive frequently at full disk use capacity [​IMG]

Hard drive frequently at full disk use capacity [​IMG]

This is a common issue I am experiencing. Why is my hard drive's disk use so high? Is there anything I can do that doesn't adversely affect Windows or my computer?

:)

tollbooth, Oct 30, 2016
  2. mlg63 Win User
    mlg63, Oct 30, 2016
  3. Windows 10 system image backup

I have a laptop with Windows 10 professional, and I was using Windows 7 Create system image to create a system image on a removeable hard drive. However, this will no longer work. The program says there is insufficient disk storage available.

The laptop hard disk is has 66ghb used, and available space of 921gb. I am backing up to a removeable drive with 1.7tb capacity. Where's isn't there enough disk capacity!!?

Any suggestions?

Tony Gottlieb

TonyGottlieb, Oct 30, 2016
  4. Stitch194 Win User

Looking at the Task Manager, it appears that you have Windows back service is running.
    You can also check in settings:
    Settings > Update and Security > Advanced > "Choose How Updates are delivered" and make sure that "Update from from compters on the internet is not selected.

Stitch194, Oct 30, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Have you run CHKDSK on your OS drive lately? Also, remove any HP bloatware you don't need, and update any you need to keep. Check on their website for driver updates, especially chipset, storage and BIOS updates.

simrick, Oct 30, 2016
  6. tollbooth Win User
    CHKDSK briefly brings up a command window that says "access denied" something. I cannot read the rest because it automatically closes within a fraction of a second.

tollbooth, Nov 4, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Can you capture it with a video, then freeze the frame to read it?

Have you tried the other things I mentioned?

Put your system into a clean boot state and troubleshoot from that point.
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

simrick, Nov 4, 2016
  8. tollbooth Win User

Help!! I tried doing this but now my computer will not connect to the internet, as administrator privileges are disabled, and Windows Security Service is disabled. Worse, the option for system restore is disabled! When I try, I get the following error in a popup:

"There was an unexpected error in the property page:

The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log. (0x81000202)

Please close the property page and try again."

What do I do??

tollbooth, Nov 6, 2016
  9. tollbooth Win User
    Alright, I went to system configuration -> normal startup, restarted, and that restored my internet and admin capabilities. But now I'm back to square one with that hard drive going incessantly (in fact that was a problem with the issue immediately above, too).

tollbooth, Nov 6, 2016
  10. tollbooth Win User
    OK I got CHKDSK to run by opening an admininstrator command prompt. 0 bad file records, and 0 unindexed files scanned. "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required."

Now what is this "HP bloatware" you were referring to?

tollbooth, Nov 6, 2016
  11. simrick Win User
    Okay, good that the CHKDSK came out with no issues.

HP (and other OEMs) put a lot of junk programs on systems that you don't need. You'd have to look through your installed programs and decide what you don't need.

You could try this
    The PC Decrapifier

simrick, Nov 6, 2016
  12. Slugger Win User
    Grab Macrium Reflect free and make an image of each drive to an external drive before you go any further.

Grab a copy of adwcleaner ToolsLib - Downloads - AdwCleaner . It was bought by Malwarebytes. Run it and clean anything it finds. I've used this program many times to clean up PUPS, malware etc.

Sounds like you drive is just full? Right click on the drives properties and run a disk cleanup. Uninstall any programs that you don't need. etc.

Slugger, Nov 6, 2016
  13. tollbooth Win User

Just ran it. It didn't turn up any recommended programs for removal.

tollbooth, Nov 6, 2016
  14. tollbooth Win User
    No the hard drive has plenty of space. But fairly often the disk usage​ is maxed out.

tollbooth, Nov 6, 2016
  15. simrick Win User
    Have you checked on the HP website for driver updates, especially chipset, storage and BIOS updates?

simrick, Nov 6, 2016
Thema:

1. Hard drive frequently at full disk use capacity - Similar Threads - Hard drive frequently

2. Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity: I recently redownloaded windows 11 from a USB onto my PC, but my storage is only showing 13 GBs. I have a 1 TB Hard Drive but it shows the maximum storage as only 13 GBs. All my drivers are updated and there doesn't seem to be any partitions that are hidden. Can anyone help?...
  3. Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity: I recently redownloaded windows 11 from a USB onto my PC, but my storage is only showing 13 GBs. I have a 1 TB Hard Drive but it shows the maximum storage as only 13 GBs. All my drivers are updated and there doesn't seem to be any partitions that are hidden. Can anyone help?...
  4. Hard Drive Not Showing Full Capacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard disk full

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk full: I am running out of hard drive space on my lap top with Windows 10. Any suggestions on how to free up space? I am looking at deleting any apps or programs not needed but wonder if there is anything else as the storage has seemed to fill up of late. thanks...
  6. The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.: I upgraded from a 120GB SSD to a 250GB SSD. When I installed the system image it said I only have about 5GB left as if it was the 120GB hard drive. How do I partition this to show the right storage amount? submitted by /u/nwl5 [link] [comments]...
  7. hard disk drive is full

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk drive is full: I am trying to free up spaces in my c drive. It seems my outlook pst file occupies a lot of space. I am trying to clear it, but still don't solve the problem https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-drive-is-full/90f1de05-270c-4c3a-8779-a30c0cf05194
  8. Hard disk is used to 100% capacity?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard disk is used to 100% capacity?: What can I do about it? I have googled the running processes before, but actually the system is relevant. This is the system, and a few for windows update. And sometimes chrome when I call it up. I did a virus scan. I've quarantined two things, but I don't think...
  9. HARD DISK FULL

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HARD DISK FULL: My hard disk is full, I've tried different normal methods of getting rid of files, picture, etc. and nothing happened, I think I need a deep hard disk cleanup, how can I do that ?? thank you very much....
  10. External Hard Drive Capacity?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Capacity?: Given my new PC has 2TB then should I have a 2TB external hard drive for backup? I'm considering nothing other than equipped capacities. Truthfully, I currently have no idea how much of that 2TB will be used. I just want to be on the safe side. Thanks 69318