Windows 10: Hard drive gets locked.

Discus and support Hard drive gets locked. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" This is the message I got when windows 10 stopped working.. From that it said my computer has an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KY COLONEL, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Hard drive gets locked.

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" This is the message I got when windows 10 stopped

working.. From that it said my computer has an unrepairable problem we will collect the information and
    restart it for you. It never did restart, so I tried with the windows 10 disk to use start-up repair.. and it told
    me that the hard drive was locked. So, I had no way to unlock it.. Long story made short. I had to take the
    hard drive out and hook it up to another computer that has windows 7 installed on it. And it let me
    unlock the drive, after which i put it back in the computer that it came out of, and it works just fine..

My question is, How is one supposed to unlock a hard drive, is there a program to do that? Or did I just
    luck out, by having another computer to hook it up to. ? I've had this happen on windows 10 more than
    once... so I hope there is a solution.

:)

KY COLONEL, Dec 1, 2015

2. I am getting error boot error 80004001 after installing Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3197954)

Well the issue has degraded further cannot even boot anymore, get a Hard-drive is not found in the bios now. Or hard drive is locked.

Best regards, James

James Carron, Dec 1, 2015
  3. Hard drive locked

Hi,

To resolve this issue with Windows 10 installation, kindly check the resolution provided by Rakesh Narayanaswamy on this

link

Let us know how it goes.

Nathaniel Mon, Dec 1, 2015
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hard drive gets locked.

Hi,

That happened to me too a couple of times using a older SSD drive that wasn't recognized consistently in BIOS by a new PC.
    Windows locks the drive if it "loses" it during setup.
    I wiped the drive using the manufacturer's software and put it back into a machine were it was working fine.

Not sure if this helps you but I wouldn't know of a command (or whatever) to just unlock the drive.
    I vaguely recall it having to do with EFI mode etc. The older machine it was lifted from is EFI agnostic.

I'll look into though and report back if I find anything worthwhile.

Cheers, *Wink

EDIT:

http://www.boyans.net/RepairWindows/...is_locked.html

fdegrove, Dec 2, 2015
Thema:

Hard drive gets locked.

1. Hard drive gets locked. - Similar Threads - Hard drive gets

2. My hard drive is locked with bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My hard drive is locked with bitlocker: As soon as I connected my Seagate hard drive to my laptop, the drive got encrypted with Bitlocker and I don't have a recovery key. I tried to reach out to Seagate and they told me it is done by your operating system contact Microsoft for the resolution.I am kind of stranded...
  3. My hard drive is locked with bitocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My hard drive is locked with bitocker: As soon as I connected my Seagate hard drive to my laptop, the drive got encrypted with Bitlocker and I don't have a recovery key. I tried to reach out to Seagate and they told me it is done by your operating system contact Microsoft for the resolution.I am kind of stranded...
  4. Hard Drive Corrupt or Damaged + Locked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive Corrupt or Damaged + Locked: Summary: my previous Windows 11 drive ADATA SSD "crashed". I was not able to restore or recover Windows on that drive. I bought a new drive Samsung SSD and installed Windows on it. I want to access my Documents on ADATA SSD. But the drive is locked.It seems that the drive is...
  5. hard drive is locked

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    hard drive is locked: After the last win update my hard drive with the operating system is locked. How can I unlock the hard drive? I've tried in Command Prompt. It didn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-is-locked/fdb8b2a1-fd87-4b1e-b499-3fe365d30e4b
  6. Lock Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lock Hard Drive: Hello fellow redditors. My laptop has a 32GB SSD and 500GB Hard Drive. I've installed windows on the SSD and now I want to lock in order to not install anything else on it and allow only Windows stuff to go in it. Thanks. submitted by /u/galaxytl [link] [comments]...
  7. System locked external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System locked external hard drive: Hello, I locked the Pictures folder on my external hard drive using Windows (drive X for this purpose). I believe I used the Security tab on the folder and SYSTEM locked it...basically making it so that if that drive X was not connected to my PC, that folder was...
  8. Regarding to lock my hard drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Regarding to lock my hard drive: I have licensed windows 10 home OS. How can I lock my hard drives ? My laptop does not have bitlocker software https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/regarding-to-lock-my-hard-drive/cff8e274-acaf-4262-892c-a8764bbad280"
  9. external hard drive is locked

in Windows 10 Customization
    external hard drive is locked: I add an external hard drive, Seagate Expansion Drive. I moved my Libraries, including my iTunes library and all the files, from my internal hard drive (c://). I now have several problems. A network path to this drive, appears to go through another external drive. E:...
  10. Hard Drive Locked

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Drive Locked: Hello so before this problem occurred I attempted to transfer my main drive with Windows 10 on it to a larger drive using the western digital software. After this my computer restarted, and when I tried signed in I would get a flickering screen/black screen with cursor. I...