Windows 10: Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages

Discus and support Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, when I open a drive windows takes ages to (I think it's called) index the drive. The bar at the top goes along so slowly as if it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Daniell, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Daniell Win User

Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages

Hi all,
    when I open a drive windows takes ages to (I think it's called) index the drive. The bar at the top goes along so slowly as if it's searching/adding in files on the drive and sits flashing away like it's working but takes forever. It doesn't matter if I only just closed I.E. D:/, it still goes through this all over again and sits there?
    Any help on speeding up this process appreciated.
    Thanks.

:)

Daniell, Jan 13, 2020

2. External hard drive indexing information lost

Hi,

It would be great if you can provide me with this information for a better understanding.

1. Did you add the external hard drive to the list of locations to be indexed from the Indexing Options?

2. By mentioning “it's registered as an indexed location” do you mean that you have already done this?

If you haven’t added the external hard disk in the Indexing Options, then I would suggest you to follow these instructions and let’s know the result.

a) Press “windows Logo” + “W” keys on the keyboard to display the “Settings” search bar.

b) Type “Indexing Options” in that search box and press “Enter” key on the keyboard.

c) In the “Indexing Options” window, click on “Modify” button.

d) Under “Change selected locations”, select the external hard disk and add it to the indexing location list.

e) If you are unable to find the hard disk drive in that list, then click on “Show all locations” and check if the hard disk is shown up there.

f) Click on “Ok” and then click on “Close”.

Please let me know, if that helps.

You may now check if the issue still happens or not. If the issue persists, you may get back to us with more information about the issue.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Jan 13, 2020
  3. Daniell Win User

Hi all,
    when I open a drive windows takes ages to (I think it's called) index the drive. The bar at the top goes along so slowly as if it's searching/adding in files on the drive and sits flashing away like it's working but takes forever. It doesn't matter if I only just closed I.E. D:/, it still goes through this all over again and sits there?
    Any help on speeding up this process appreciated.
    Thanks.

Daniell, Jan 13, 2020
  4. Dalmango Win User

Search Not Indexing Optical Drive

Thanks,

• When you mentioned D Drive, are you pertaining to a partition or a separate external drive? - D Drive = Solid State Drive; 1 of 2 internal drives (the other being an optical drive);
    • Were you able to check if indexing was already completed? - Indexing completed on each attempt of rectification;
    • In the meantime, we suggest that you run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter - Done prior to posting; useless! It does not find any problems.

Dalmango, Jan 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages - Similar Threads - Hard drive indexing

2. Slower Restart takes ages

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slower Restart takes ages: I am using Windows 11Pro, Version : 21H2. Earlier when I was using Windows 10Pro, Restarting my system takes only 30-60 secs. max but now it takes at least 20 minutes minimum. I want to fix this because to install some updates or any other things only required restart. Even...
  3. Photos taking ages to download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos taking ages to download: While on the internet, I try to save an image by right-clicking on it. When the menu appears, I left-click "save image as". Then it takes about 6 seconds for the image to download. While it's downloading my browser freezes and stops freezing when the image has downloaded. It...
  4. Photos taking ages to download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos taking ages to download: While on the internet, I try to save an image by right-clicking on it. When the menu appears, I left-click "save image as". Then it takes about 6 seconds for the image to download. While it's downloading my browser freezes and stops freezing when the image has downloaded. It...
  5. Photos taking ages to download

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. windows taking ages to boot.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    windows taking ages to boot.: i have had this problem for about a day now. whenever i boot onto windows its fine, i enter in my password. it seems to take a bit longer than usual to load on (now about 30 seconds compared to 5). and, when it finally gets in, its just a grey screen for 20 minutes, then all...
  7. take ownership of hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    take ownership of hard drive: Hi guys, I've been denied access on an external hard disk so I tried to take ownership but it won't let me do it. It says it is unable to set new owner as there is not enough space on the disk. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you...
  8. Outlook takes ages to load

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook takes ages to load: Hi all. Ever since I synced my email I have had a problem with all Microsoft sites taking ages to load. Can someone tell my what I can do about this? thanks 25624
  9. Checking for updates taking ages

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Checking for updates taking ages: Win 10 machine. Got it yesterday, it was checking for updates fine last night. In this evening and I thought I'd do a manual check but it's been running as checking for updates about 15 mins now. Is this normal. There is no way to cancel the check and kick it back off acain...
  10. W10TP Takes ages to install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10TP Takes ages to install: Since I have a 75/75 connection, I thought I'd install it but it takes ages with me only getting 80 to 150 KB/second. Why is this? 3799