Windows 10: Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.

Discus and support Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Using MS10. Properties say I have 3GB, very soon after, with no new things added to hard drive I get a warning that hardrive is almost full. I run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David Jennings2, May 15, 2023.

1. Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.

Using MS10. Properties say I have 3GB, very soon after, with no new things added to hard drive I get a warning that hardrive is almost full. I run chkdsk c: /x /r and restart. Now I am back to around 3GB. Very soon after back to 250Mb. Now having to repeat this several times a day. Anybody know what is up?

:)

David Jennings2, May 15, 2023
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10 Hard Drive Keeps Filling Up

No it's not, it's about right. This is the breakdown of what 'System & reserved' actually means....

Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own. 168766d1513653669t-windows-10-hard-drive-keeps-filling-up-system-reserved.png

You get this detailed breakdown by clicking on the 'System & reserved' bar seen in the earlier screenshots.

On possible cause for the OP's shrinking free space could be item two in that list, the virtual memory. If that is set for 'system managed' (as it is by default) and an errant app is eating up memory but not releasing it properly, then the swap file may just keep growing until it fills the disk.

3. MrHudson Win User

Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own. 168762d1513647651t-windows-10-hard-drive-keeps-filling-up-111.jpg

Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own. 168762d1513647651t-windows-10-hard-drive-keeps-filling-up-111.jpg

In Settings under Storage, have you checked it there.

MrHudson, May 15, 2023
  4. simrick Win User

Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.

I've used WinDirStat in the past, and it's been quite helpful. Here's an example of what you'll see, after the "pac-men" are finished:

Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own. 168767d1513654111t-windows-10-hard-drive-keeps-filling-up-image.png

As you select bits in the map, it tells you what they are. You can then hover your mouse over one, right-click, and you get this:

Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own. 168768d1513654184t-windows-10-hard-drive-keeps-filling-up-image.png

You can also have it show "Unknown" (although I'm not sure how to handle that - deleting Unknown might bork the system):

Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own. 168769d1513654324t-windows-10-hard-drive-keeps-filling-up-image.png

I once found and fixed a leaky program this way.

simrick, May 15, 2023
Thema:

Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.

1. Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own. - Similar Threads - Hard drive keeps

2. Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.: Using MS10. Properties say I have 3GB, very soon after, with no new things added to hard drive I get a warning that hardrive is almost full. I run chkdsk c: /x /r and restart. Now I am back to around 3GB. Very soon after back to 250Mb. Now having to repeat this several times...
  3. Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive keeps filling up on it's own.: Using MS10. Properties say I have 3GB, very soon after, with no new things added to hard drive I get a warning that hardrive is almost full. I run chkdsk c: /x /r and restart. Now I am back to around 3GB. Very soon after back to 250Mb. Now having to repeat this several times...
  4. C Drive keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C Drive keeps filling up: my c drive keeps filling up all the time. maybe 4 days ago my disk space was very low about 30-40gb so i deleted some games. then i had 80gb of free space but suddenly the next day i go onto my computer and i only have 35gb left. now that i check my c drive it keeps filling...
  5. C Drive keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive keeps filling up: my c drive keeps filling up all the time. maybe 4 days ago my disk space was very low about 30-40gb so i deleted some games. then i had 80gb of free space but suddenly the next day i go onto my computer and i only have 35gb left. now that i check my c drive it keeps filling...
  6. hard drive keeps filling up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive keeps filling up: help window insider 10 pro version:1909 windows 10 wont update and hard drive stays full no matter how fast i delete things it stays full how do I fix this problem. because of the disc being full cannot even save a restore point....
  7. Hard Drive Suddenly filling up

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hard Drive Suddenly filling up: I have an Asus laptop running the latest Win10 update, 1903. It has a 500G HD that usually has about 200G in use. Today I checked and it was almost full, only about 5G remaining. What could be causing this? I checked programs using appwiz.cpl and saw nothing strange. I have...
  8. Windows 10 Hard Drive Keeps Filling Up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Hard Drive Keeps Filling Up: This is a common problem, but in my case there is an uncommon cause. Everyone complains about this problem at some point in time, but it's usually because people have downloaded too much stuff, installed too many apps, or haven't cleared out temp files and cache etc. In my...
  9. Hard Drive Randomly Filling Up

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Drive Randomly Filling Up: My 256 GB hard drive has zero space left (programs now shutting down, etc.). I deleted or moved all duplicate files ; documents and applications only account for about 50 GB. When I free up a few GB, it rapidly fills up again. This is not a defrag issue; this is something...
  10. Hard drive filling up

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive filling up: Each night my hard drive fills up. I can't figure out where the free space is going. I can clear off 5 gigs, but the next morning there is a 'low disk space' error.. How can I find where the empty space is being used? Can I search by newest file created? 106834