Windows 10: Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works

Discus and support Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I'll start with the current news of today... I took a video from my hard drive (C:) and dragged it onto an old thumb drive, and it worked!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MortSahlFan, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works

I'll start with the current news of today... I took a video from my hard drive (CHard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works :) and dragged it onto an old thumb drive, and it worked!

I would have posted this days ago, but I hate asking for help, but I've had the flu for almost 2 weeks, and my laptop is really screwed up, and it's kinda my life, especially during this quarantine and all this free time.

I've done all the scandisks, windows defender, anti-virus and it all comes clean. I've tried to do a Recovery, but it keeps failing, and its screwed up search settings and other things I'll hold off for another time. I've uninstalled programs, resets browsers, cache, cookies (so many password, ugh) defrag, optimize, disk cleanup.

It's odd how I can't play a song on winamp (it keeps freezing, sometimes for a short while, sometimes for a really long time where I have to restart), which takes no RAM, and the videos that I have on my desktop for example, yet... videos work much better on YouTube. It was always the other way around, because of my slow internet connection. I can't even play a simple game like Age of Empires II, which I've had for many years.

Barely over a year.
    AMD A-9-9420; Radeon R5, 5 Computer Cores, 2c+3G... 3.00 GHz
    64-bit, x-64 based processor

I have a few things backed up, but I don't have anything more than a thumb drive. I get a lot of "No Responding", and when it comes to music or videos (but online videos work better surprisingly), it freezes up for a while, and then resume for a few seconds, sometimes for up to a minute. Same with a game I used to play. A few nights ago, I went about 5 minutes straight with no video interruptions (I use GOM player, and have tried others, no difference).

I've only had this laptop for a little over a year, and the Norton expired not too long ago, which is what I initially thought. I installed malwarbytes, did a scan - nothing.. I uninstalled and installed AVG - same thing. I've used the RUN command to get rid of worthless programs I couldn't uninstall simply with Control Panels ,but still no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the resources (or even a debit card) to find some sophisticated program online, so if you know something, I'd be very thankful in this very stressing time for me. Thanks!

:)

MortSahlFan, Apr 1, 2020

2. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Zero Cool Win User
    Hard drive freezing

your hard drive is freezing? what cooling you got?

Zero Cool, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works

Hard drive freezing

First of all if you tried a different hard drive I doubt it's the hard drive freezing. Please check if your cooling is working properly (check temps, see if it's installed correctly). This goes for both the video card and CPU. If this isn't the issue see if it happens in safe mode, if it doesn't it might be some driver issue.

DanTheBanjoman, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works

1. Hard Drive Keeps Freezing, BUT, Thumb Drive Works - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Keeps

2. Usb Thumb Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Usb Thumb Drive: Earlier today my thumb drive was working fine but now when I plug it in to view it it only shows up in files for a few seconds then disappears. In devices it says that it is connected but won't let me view files. I also tried it on a chrome book but would not work. Any ways...
  3. Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working: Copy of log from Event Viewer:Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 1/15/2022 9:00:00 AM Event ID: 430 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-CVMQ4QC Description: Device...
  4. Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working: Copy of log from Event Viewer:Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 1/15/2022 9:00:00 AM Event ID: 430 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-CVMQ4QC Description: Device...
  5. Sandisk USB Thumb drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Thumb Drive not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumb Drive not working: I inserted my thumb drive and it was working perfectly before. But now it says I have to format it and it will erase all the data. How do I access the thumb drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drive-not-working/3f7f37c7-f7d1-42ea-a644-4afbb523dc33
  7. Thumb Drives

Thumb Drives: How do I use a thumb drive to transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/thumb-drives/8b697fba-9f37-417b-a867-1443e9150438
  8. System image to thumb drive not working

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image to thumb drive not working: So overall, I was having a issue with creating a system image. It would state that "The specified backup storage location has the shadow copy storage on another volume (0x80780038)" After reading several forums I found that if you delete the restore points you are able to...
  9. thumb drives

thumb drives: Upgraded to windows 10, plugged in a thumb drive but have no idea how to open the drive 27165
  10. Recovery thumb drive doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery thumb drive doesn't work: I made a recovery thumb drive according to the directions, and it told me that it was finished. I opened it and it has all the recovery and boot files. But when I tested it, nothing happened. I tried removing it and restated, turned off my rig, and replaced the thumb drive....