Windows 10: Hard Drive not initializing or doing anything for that matter. What do I do?

Discus and support Hard Drive not initializing or doing anything for that matter. What do I do? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Long story short, Hard Drive started acting funny, added another, then got a huge one compared to the other two. As you can see in the pix I attached,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Squirre3477l, Mar 31, 2023.

1. Hard Drive not initializing or doing anything for that matter. What do I do?

Long story short, Hard Drive started acting funny, added another, then got a huge one compared to the other two. As you can see in the pix I attached, not letting me do anything with it, and I need the space super bad. Can anyone help?

:)

Squirre3477l, Mar 31, 2023

2. Mechanical Hard Drive A:\

Proceed with the steps I gave you to test the hard drive to know for sure it's condition.

If it passes wipe it and try formatting as suggested. If it fails initializing as MBR then try GPT (for data).

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 31, 2023
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Mar 31, 2023
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Hard Drive not initializing or doing anything for that matter. What do I do?

Toshiba Ext Hard Drive

Hi Tony,

I realize that you are facing the issue connecting the external hard drive in Windows 10, let me assist you.

To assist you better, let us know the following details.

• Which build of Windows 10 is installed in your system?
    • What is the make and model of your system?
    • Do other USB devices are getting connected to the system?

As an initial step if troubleshooting, I suggest you to try connecting the external hard drive through different USB ports and check if it is getting detected, also try connecting the same external hard drive to a different Windows 10 system.

Also, connect the external hard drive to the system and check whether the device is shown in Device Manager.

• Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press
      Enter key.
    • Click on View option and click on Show hidden devices.
    • Check whether the device is shown.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Mar 31, 2023
Thema:

Hard Drive not initializing or doing anything for that matter. What do I do?

1. Hard Drive not initializing or doing anything for that matter. What do I do? - Similar Threads - Hard Drive initializing

2. Hard Drive not initializing or doing anything for that matter. What do I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard Drive not initializing or doing anything for that matter. What do I do?: Long story short, Hard Drive started acting funny, added another, then got a huge one compared to the other two. As you can see in the pix I attached, not letting me do anything with it, and I need the space super bad. Can anyone help?...
  3. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?: My hard drive just died and my windows key doesn't work do I need a new one or how does this work? I have all components the same but my 2 tb died WITH windows installed. Thanks Dallas...
  4. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?: My hard drive just died and my windows key doesn't work do I need a new one or how does this work? I have all components the same but my 2 tb died WITH windows installed. Thanks Dallas...
  5. If my hard drive dies with windows what do I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Hard drive wiped itself! What do I do?

in Windows 10 News
    Hard drive wiped itself! What do I do?: [ATTACH]Even though uncommon, some users have reported that their hard drive has deleted some of the data itself. The situation is such that the data is not available in the Recycle bin or anywhere else but has been completely removed. This brings us to the question of what...
  7. I can't download anything no matter what I do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't download anything no matter what I do: No matter what i try, I can't download anything. It just says "Virus scan failed" and nothing else every time, I primarily use Chrome but I've tried Edge too the only other browser installed and the problem persists. I've deleted Mcafee, Windows Security is disabled, and I've...
  8. I can't download anything no matter what I do

I can't download anything no matter what I do: No matter what i try, I can't download anything. It just says "Virus scan failed" and nothing else every time, I primarily use Chrome but I've tried Edge too the only other browser installed and the problem persists. I've deleted Mcafee, Windows Security is disabled, and I've...
  9. I can't download anything no matter what I do

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. BSOD no matter what i do

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD no matter what i do: BSOD titles range from Kernel_security_check_failure, driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, and overran_stack Buffer. Posting one drive file link below. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqN--VqOO1f8unTcH2byidcg3twU?e=icztT4...