Windows 10: Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

Discus and support Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay model DFLT and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure model SC4B.I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by greymole, Dec 5, 2022.

1. greymole Win User

Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay model DFLT and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure model SC4B.I bought a new hard drive and installed it into the 4-bay SC4B enclosure, I then went to disk management and a window came up saying to format and initialize or something like that, I don't quite remember. Either way, it works fine.My issue is when I remove my old drive from the old single bay enclosure, and put it into the new 4-bay enclosure, windows does not list this drive in file explorer. Even though it was formatted and working fine. I

:)

greymole, Dec 5, 2022
  2. greymole Win User

I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay (model DFLT) and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure (model SC4B.)

I bought a new hard drive and installed it into the 4-bay SC4B enclosure, I then went to disk management and a window came up saying to format and initialize or something like that, I don't quite remember. Either way, it works fine.

My issue is when I remove my old drive from the old single bay enclosure, and put it into the new 4-bay enclosure, windows does not list this drive in file explorer. Even though it was formatted and working fine. I can put the old drive back into the old single bay enclosure and it shows up again just like it had been working before. Here is a screenshot from disk manager of the old drive in the old enclosure.

Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another faf7e17a-da88-405f-b39f-4d0740a4f7fd?upload=true.png

When I put the old drive into the new SC4B enclosure and go to disk management it does show the drive there. However, the drive does not have a drive letter assigned. It changes some info as well. There are two partitions shown. And it lists it as "GPT Protective Partition"

Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another d8f8fe4c-ad55-4b7e-ad92-8bc08531ee51?upload=true.png

I've read a few posts where you can clean the drive, but that is only a way to reformat, and lose all the data to get it working. My question is why can't I just move a HDD from one enclosure to another? Sort of defeats my purpose of using external enclosures for backups. If the enclosure fails, there is no way for me to get the data from the drive?

greymole, Dec 6, 2022
  3. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

I've seen this problem before. A lot of enclosures write a proprietary "layer" onto the drive so that the drives work in the enclosure no matter what the sector size or the limitations of the master boot record. Unfortunately, that means that when you put the drive in a new enclosure, it won't work because the proprietary "layer" is from a different enclosure type.

I am guessing that is what is happening here despite being from the same manufacturer.

Move your data off the drive and reformat it on the 4 bay enclosure. I bet it will work, and you will have confirmed my suspicion. If not, we can try something else.

Shane Proctor, Dec 6, 2022
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Hard Drive Enclosure

Hi Comeback, you should be able to access those files if you put that hard drive into an external enclosure . . .

When you connect that drive, does Windows actually see the drive - can you see it in File Explorer?

Open Disc Management (accessible by right clicking your Start Button

Do you see that drive listed there?

DaveM121, Dec 6, 2022
Thema:

1. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another - Similar Threads - Hard drive working

2. One Drive/External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive/External Hard Drive: For some time since I have done a Reinstall of windows, I had issues of when I would try to eject my external hard drive, with a notice that another program was using the drive and could not eject.I noticed when I was exploring various ways to solve this issue that Task...
  3. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another: I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay model DFLT and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure model SC4B.I bought a new hard drive and installed it into the 4-bay SC4B enclosure, I then went to disk management and a window came up...
  4. Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive not working in one external enclosure but does in another: I have two external USB hard drive enclosures, both Sabrent brands. One is a single bay model DFLT and I just got a new 4-bay enclosure model SC4B.I bought a new hard drive and installed it into the 4-bay SC4B enclosure, I then went to disk management and a window came up...
  5. copying from one external hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying from one external hard drive to another: I am trying to copy a large folder of photo files from one external hard drive to another in Windows 10. I used a drag and drop command and the resulting window showed progress as I could see the names of individual photo files showing briefly. After the copy process...
  6. Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure

Formatting Hard Drive in External Enclosure: Hello All Wanted to format a Hard drive in external enclosure, and swap out a very old drive in Mom's Desktop machine, ((No room for SSD in that system unforuately, Older HP P6-2133W AMD A6-3620 Desktop) Anyways dummy me started the task on Secondary Gaming Laptop PC, so far...
  7. external hard drive working on one pc but not another?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    external hard drive working on one pc but not another?: can anyone help me out? i have an external hard drive 1tb (two actually) that ive been using for a few years now, works perfectly fine on my windows 10 pc and even on my ps4 to move files around, but whenever i connect it to my laptops (two windows 10 laptops) the external...
  8. External Enclosure Bad drive

External Enclosure Bad drive: Well decided to check out from my old AMD FX system, the 2tb storage drive in the Mass Cool Enclosure, HDTune shows entirely red It went thru that error scan the fastest i ever seen it do one lol, not sure if false positive or what, but just in case, transferring the data...
  9. Backup from one external hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup from one external hard drive to another: I have a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop with the latest version of Windows 10. I have been backing up my photos from one external hard drive to another (both 2TB) using Windows 7 backup and restore for a few years. After copying all my images to a 5TB drive, and having another blank...
  10. External enclosure won't accept different hard drives

External enclosure won't accept different hard drives: Hello, so to better understand my problem, I recently bought an HDD external enclosure for a hard drive that has some old family memories on it. I hooked it up, closed it and connected it to my Windows 10 laptop. My anti-virus scanned for problems, and there were no problems...