Windows 10: Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

Discus and support Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, burnt power supply. I was updating to most current Win 10 and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Michael Barnes18, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, burnt power supply. I was updating to most current Win 10 and the files got corrupted at version 1909 and it won't boot. In Win PE recovery mode I've tried system restore, system reset, advanced start options: all safe mode options, block driver signature; all to no avail. This will teach me to do backup/ restore points for each step. DISM running out of recovery environment gives messages that it is unable to access the image file. Originally planned to update and send all files, mostly pictures, to my grandson, should have done that first. My son died 2/02 this year. I have the password to the computer. It appears my son only used local user account and did not have a MS account. I've moved the drive to an external drive enclosure and connected via E SATA to my computer to try and repair the OS there, Got a lot of learning to do to get that done. Want to access files to move to a USB to send to Grandson, but security won't let me. Is there a way to enter the password from the old computer to allow access to the files?

:)

Michael Barnes18, Mar 28, 2021
  2. Anne Ros Win User

External hard drive is not accessible

Hi,

For us to provide a solution suited to your concern, we need additional information:

• Have you tried using different ports to connect your external hard drive?
    • Did you try using other devices to connect your hard drive and access the files?

We'll wait for your response.

Anne Ros, Mar 28, 2021
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Mar 28, 2021
  4. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

external hard drive

Hi Chrpee,

If you can't find external hard drive on Disk management than the next step is using the diskpart via command line, please follow the steps below:-

On the keyboard hit ((Windows logo key + R key)) than type ((CMD))

Now the windows command line will appear, the next steps is to type ((diskpart))

After that type ((list disk)) to show you the list of hard disks with partitions

If you found your external hard drive one of the list than you need to type ((select disk number)), note: the number is a disk number

Once you selected the hard disk or partitions than type ((clean))

than type ((create partition primary))

than type ((select partition 1))

than type ((active))

than type ((format fs=ntfs quick))

than type ((assign))

last type ((exit))

Check if the external hard drive appeared, if not please see the link below for more info and let me know if you need any assist

https://uk.pcmag.com/dvd-burners/120624/what-to...

Abdirahman Issa, Mar 28, 2021
Thema:

Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

1. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Repair

2. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  3. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  4. Repairing external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Repairing external hard drive: Hi all I store all of my photos and music on an external hard drive. Recently some photos didn't copy across properly - I deleted them but the hard drive is stuck cancelling the action and Windows is asking me to repair the drive with the message below: "We have found errors...
  5. Accessing c drive on external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Accessing c drive on external hard drive: I really don't know how to explain this. But I have 2 computers. A desktop, and a laptop. The desktop had a lot of dust and one of the fans has blown and an electrical smell from the fan area started. I turned the computer off right away.Later, I removed the hard disk drive...
  6. External Hard Drive No Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Drive No Access: My external Seagate Backup Plus Drive shows up as E:\ when I plug it in but is not able to be accessed. I could see under right click properties that it was an NTFS drive and the name but zero for used, free, and capacity. I could get in from the command prompt and got one...
  7. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive: I've had an external HD in a drawer for years not using it. It has many photos on it. I plugged it in, connected it to my laptop. The directory lists the pictures, but when I click in it the folder is empty! Any suggestions? Greatly appreciate your time, Amy Grunenwald...
  8. OS hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    OS hard drive: I recently installed a second hard drive for more data storage and now my computer thinks the OS is on a flash drive and won't update Windows 10. The original hard drive (C:) contains the OS and is identified in the system as bus number 0. The new hard drive (J:) contains...
  9. External Hard drive not accessible

External Hard drive not accessible: My external hard drive was unplugged accidently. When i plugged it back into the computer, it recogonized a previous error with it and was in the process of fixing those errors automatically when it was accidentally unplugged again. Now when i plug in my external drive the...
  10. External Hard drive not accessible...

External Hard drive not accessible...: Hi All, External Hard drive not accessible...? I have 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Slim 200gb cloud Hard Drive. It was working fine on Win 7 earlier, I formatted my desktop and installed win 7 OS since then my exernal hard drive is not initializing. My external hdd was not...