Windows 10: Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D

Discus and support Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I cant access my external drive and it shows as local disk D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MacenH, Jun 22, 2021.

1. MacenH Win User

Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D

I cant access my external drive and it shows as local disk D

:)

MacenH, Jun 22, 2021

2. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Jun 22, 2021
  3. Dry Ink Win User
    My Local Disk D drive is looked

Hi,

I recently did a recovery on my surface pro 3 because it was slow so I thought about it's time to reinstall windows. However, after the recovery was done, my local disk D got locked. My C drive shows an icon of an open silver lock, however my local disk
    D drive shows a golden lock that is locked. I don't know how that happened but I have a lot important stuff on my D drive and I don't know the 48-digits recovery key. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Dry Ink, Jun 22, 2021
  4. Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D

Cannot access D drive since upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for replying quickly with the status of the issue.

Please reply to few more questions:

• Is the D: drive located on the same hard disk or on different hard disk?

• Did you have any important data saved on the
      D:
      drive?

If the D: is saved on another hard disk and you are unable to access it, I suggest you to format the drive completely and check if the issue is resolved.

To format the hard disk, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option.

• Right click on the D: drive and select
      Format option.

• Wait for the formatting to complete and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Jun 22, 2021
Thema:

Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D

1. Hard drive shows up as Local Disk D - Similar Threads - Hard drive shows

2. external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it: So, this has been going for roughly 3 days now, but for some reason, my external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it. Whenever I actually try clicking on the drive on file explorer, the error code is never consistent: sometimes it'll tell me...
  3. external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it: So, this has been going for roughly 3 days now, but for some reason, my external hard drive shows up as 'local disk :D' and won't let me access it. Whenever I actually try clicking on the drive on file explorer, the error code is never consistent: sometimes it'll tell me...
  4. two local disk D showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    two local disk D showing in disk management: I installed a new SSD to my laptop and then cloned my HDD to it then I used diskpart to delete partitions on HDD only leaving my local disk D which was partition 4 then I tried extend volume but it turned local disk D yellow which I want to convert back to blue and when I...
  5. two local disk D showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    two local disk D showing in disk management: I installed a new SSD to my laptop and then cloned my HDD to it then I used diskpart to delete partitions on HDD only leaving my local disk D which was partition 4 then I tried extend volume but it turned local disk D yellow which I want to convert back to blue and when I...
  6. two local disk D showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. local disk is not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    local disk is not showing up: in my laptop windows 10 the local disk is not showing up there is only windows ssd :c and mcafee vaults but not local disk . i want to locate my local disk file so that i can agree to terms and policy of total pc cleaner app...
  8. hard disk drives D:

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard disk drives D:: i got pc and when i go look to hard disk my C: is full so how do i add D: because C: is the only 1 that i got on here https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disk-drives-d/903f7cfd-6fd7-44ec-af8c-5761f067c088
  9. D: hard drive is not showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    D: hard drive is not showing up: I have a laptop and my D: hard drive (1TB) is not showing up in the explorer nor device manager (I also try with diskpart but is not showing there either). device manager and diskpart Before this happened I was playing a videogame, but this crash because it could not load...
  10. External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive: For some reason it changed from USB Drive to Local Disk. Now i cant use a Label Name (like MyDrive). I try to change the drive Letter and still nothing happen. When i plug the USB Driver to an other computer i see it again as a local driver. If i go to Properties -> Label...