Windows 10: Hard drive sleeping and lack of advanced power options.

Discus and support Hard drive sleeping and lack of advanced power options. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My external hard drive keeps falling asleep after a set period of time, which makes it borderline unusable for gaming. I looked up how to fix this and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Diego065, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Diego065 Win User

Hard drive sleeping and lack of advanced power options.

My external hard drive keeps falling asleep after a set period of time, which makes it borderline unusable for gaming. I looked up how to fix this and every solution mentions changing the advanced power options on my power plan. However, windows removed many of the power options and makes that fix impossible without knowing how to use the command prompt. I find it incredible that such a big issue has not been dealt with already, even in the form of an optional patch. When will there be a windows update to fix this problem already?

:)

Diego065, Nov 6, 2020

2. sleep mode and power options not working on Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Forums.

For issues with sleep mode and power options follow the steps provided below.

Run the Power troubleshooter and check.

Follow the steps to run the troubleshooter:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Type Troubleshooting in search and click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Now type Power in the search option.
    • Click on Power troubleshooter to run.

I would suggest you to try updating the Display driver and check if the issue persists. If you already have all the latest drivers from Windows updates, then I would suggest you to visit the computer manufacturer's website, download and install the latest
    drivers in compatibility mode and check.

Hope this helps.

Anish A Kumar, Nov 6, 2020
  3. JTBurnett Win User
    Sleep and Hard Drives

I don't want my drives to sleep.

If I have the 'global' setting in Power & Sleep to 'Never Sleep,' do I also have to go into Advanced to set the 'Hard Drives Sleep...; to a high number, or does that global setting make this setting moot?

Thank you

JTBurnett, Nov 6, 2020
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Sleep option

Hi John,

The issue might be due to a disabled sleep to show in Power menu
    option in Control Panel.

We would like to ask for some information:

• Did you get any error messages?
    • Can you provide us with a screenshot?

In the meantime, please check if the sleep to show in Power menu
    option in Control Panel is enabled using the steps below:

• Type Control Panel on the search box and press Enter.
    • Select System and Security, then Power Options.
    • Click on Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Put a check-mark on the Sleep-Show in Power menu box.

We will wait for your response.

Remon Ont, Nov 6, 2020
Thema:

1. Hard drive sleeping and lack of advanced power options. - Similar Threads - Hard drive sleeping

2. advanced power options and csenabled

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    advanced power options and csenabled: Hi Advanced power options went missing after the last update. No processor options, usb, gpu power, etc. The usual fix of CSEnabled in regedit is no longer there. The fan speed is out of control even with the slider bar set to better battery. Any help would be appreciated....
  3. Advanced Power Option for Networking in Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Advanced Power Option for Networking in Win10: I have a 2020 Spectre X360 15 EB000. Version 1909, Build 18363.900. My Advanced Power Options does not have a network setting to allow me to able / disable networking while plugged in and in sleep mode. Does anyone know how to add this option, and whether or not adding may...
  4. Advanced Power Options missing networking options

in Windows 10 Customization
    Advanced Power Options missing networking options: I have a 2020 Spectre X360 15 EB000. Version 1909, Build 18363.900. My Advanced Power Options does not have a network setting to allow me to able / disable networking while plugged in and in sleep mode. Does anyone know how to add this option, and whether or not adding may...
  5. Advanced power options hidden

in Windows 10 Customization
    Advanced power options hidden: My laptop has most of its advanced power options hidden away, including Intel dynamic platform, processor state and bunch of other things. Creating a new power plan, updating BIOS, disabled virtualization and even refreshed windows but nothing worked. I did manage to find...
  6. Advanced Power Management? (Sleep)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Advanced Power Management? (Sleep): Hi Reddit - I am a professional media guy and need to render long files occasionally. Does anyone know of a way or utility that will let me customize sleep cycles? If I just leave chrome open I just want my computer to sleep and then shut down after a while. I don't want it...
  7. No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No USB in Power Options, Advanced settings: I have an ASUS Zenbook, Windows 10 Home 64bit. I wanted to adjust the USB settings, specifically to have the USB shutoff while in sleep mode. I believe the USB is still being powered as my battery drains when I have a mouse plugged in, even it is off. Originally my problem...
  8. Missing Advanced Power Options

in Windows 10 Support
    Missing Advanced Power Options: I have a new Asus Zenbook UX431 with W10x64. Stock install. Win Pro. I only have 2 power plans: -'Balanced' -'Asus Recommended' However, when I goto advanced power options, I only have 4 available settings: Background, Sleep, Display, and Battery (see pic) I am missing all...
  9. sleep and power option

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    sleep and power option: my laptop go to sleep by it self even when i set sleep option to never sleep or close the display i need help its almost every 5 mins its goes to sleep and i get mad of it...
  10. Lack of Sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Lack of Sleep: I have a Windows 10 media PC. It drives a large screen mounted on the wall. The problem I have is that I have it set to enter sleep mode after 2 hours, but invariably I find it sill on the next day, playing videos. It seems that under some circumstances it just ignores the...