Windows 10: Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition

Discus and support Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Okay I have a small problem. I have a 120 gig solid state hard drive, that I have my OS installed on (Windows 10) I was going to install windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Snake3169, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Snake3169 Win User

Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition

Okay I have a small problem.

I have a 120 gig solid state hard drive, that I have my OS installed on (Windows 10)

I was going to install windows 7 on a second partition on that hard drive, so I shrank the current partition and it gave me unallocated space.

I had a few people tell me it wasn't possible to install windows 7 on the same hard drive as windows 10... for some reason or another.

So I decided to expand the partition back to its original size (the whole hard drive).

Before I shrunk the partition.. I had 60 gigs left, I shrunk it by 20 to install windows 7 on.

Well after some people told me it wouldn't work. I decide to re-expand the partition to take back up the whole drive.

Problem is, when I did that.. I loss that 20 gigs, it says that 20 gigs is 'used' space now. I tried scanning the hard drive for errors and defragging (won't let me defrag that drive.. I assume cause its either a solid state drive or the windows drive)

I don't know how to get that lost 20 gigs back.

Any suggestions?

:)

Snake3169, Oct 15, 2015

2. Can't expand Win10 C: partition after restoring image to larger hardrive

I am trying to extend the existing the main C: partition using Disk Management, after restoring a System Image of Windows 10 on a larger hard drive. Disk Management shows three partitions and some unused space. When I right click on the partition I want
    to expand, the "extend volume" option is grayed out. Since the Recovery Partition is between the C: partition and unused space, I cannot make a contiguous partition by merging the C: with the unused space.

For some reason, not much forethought from Microsoft went into someone upgrading to a larger hard drive, which is a common practice.

michael hyams, Oct 15, 2015
  3. How to move partitions

My C drive is running out of space and its becoming a problem. It has 90 something gb on the C partition and my hard drive has some 300 gb of unallocated space. I know how I can expand the C volume, but it isnt next to any unallcoated space. Is there a
    way to move the volume next to the unallocated space to expand it, or vice versa. I also found a way to move the unallocated space next to the C drive but it includes resizing the other partitions multiple times and I cant resize the EFI system partition.
    Is there a way to resize this/move it.

warhammercasey, Oct 15, 2015
Thema:

Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition

1. Hard Drive Space loss after expanding partition - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Space

2. Partitioning a Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitioning a Hard drive: Hi, I recently installed a new HDD and was hoping to create a partition in order to keep my programs separated for organisation reasons. If anybody knows how to create a hard drive partition in windows 11 then I would appreciate the help a lot thanks. x...
  3. Expand partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  4. Expand partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Expand partition: I have 46 gb of unallocated space on my ssd. I want to expand my C drive, but the recovery partition is between C and the unallocated space. Can I delete the recovery partition and expand C, then re-create the recovery partition?...
  5. Expand C Drive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Expand C Drive partition: I am running Windows 10 on a Dell Latitude 3540 laptop. It has a 480GB SSD fitted, partitioned as C: & E:. There is about 20GB free of 220GB on C: and about 160GB free of 200GB on E:. In Computer Management, the two partitions are adjacent and there is no unallocated...
  6. Random loss of hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random loss of hard drive space?: Dropbox said something about too little memory and then i checked "My PC" and it said 8GB. Then i searched on my PC if there are files i do not need, i literally come back after 1min and it says 2GB?! How? I can not think of anything, i don't remember that i installed...
  7. Partitioning Hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Partitioning Hard drive: My hard disk performance is reduced drastically. Will partion help to increase performance. My pc is old and so hard disk. I only use it to store video files and other data....
  8. Hard drive partitions

Hard drive partitions: I cloned my 1TB hard drive to my 4TB hard drive and there are 2 unallocated sotrage I can allocate one but I can't do anything with the other they are at C: 930.94GB G: 1116.49GB leaving me with 1678.02GB that I can't allocate or merge with any of the other 2 or merge all 3...
  9. Hard Drive Partition

Hard Drive Partition: I have a hard drive from an old laptop that I would like to create a virtual machine for on my current laptop. What would be the best process to partition the drive on my Windows 10 to do this?...
  10. partitioning hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    partitioning hard drive: hi all this is a question about GPT UEFI and LEGACY partitions if I install in legacy mode on a 1 TB drive with no partitions will my laptop run ok I dont understand why GPT gives 4 partitions and I dont understand UEFI please explain all 3 options. many thanks to all that...