Windows 10: Hard Drive Spins Down despite timer being set to NEVER

Discus and support Hard Drive Spins Down despite timer being set to NEVER in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Please help me. I'm running Windows 10 pro (latest version, updates on). My notebook model is: Dell G3 15 I have an SSD and a hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ish4d0w, Mar 26, 2019.

1. ish4d0w Win User

Hard Drive Spins Down despite timer being set to NEVER

Hi

Please help me. I'm running Windows 10 pro (latest version, updates on). My notebook model is: Dell G3 15

I have an SSD and a hard drive installed, OS running from SSD, data being on HDD. That said HDD is not always in use.

To prevent unwanted motor cycles, I set the "Hard Disk Sleep Timer" in power options to NEVER for both battery and plugged in mode.
    Still I can hear the hard drive spin down almost immediately as I stop accessing files from it. Like within minutes! This is crazy, it is even faster than the default timer you would have there.

I made a mistake by installing a software called Dell Power Manager, which might have to do with it (unsure as I couldn't open any interface to it), but since then I uninstalled it. No change.
    It might have been the same before that as well.

What should I do? How do I know what makes the drive spin down? It doesn't seem faulty, smart readings are normal.

HDD make is Seagate St1000LX015-1U7172
    SCSI\DiskST1000LX015-1U7172______SDM3

:)

ish4d0w, Mar 26, 2019
  2. diddle Win User

Constant hard drive spinning

I am on a relatives computer, and she is complaining of slow performance, and basically, what it looks like, is the hard drive, is constantly spinning, causing programs to act slow, and causing everything to run slow.
    I have indexing turned off (Windows Vista ) and I just want a list of things I can start going through to check what might be causing the constant spinning.
    She has norton, too. which might be part of the problem..

diddle, Mar 26, 2019
  3. Constant hard drive spinning

what you mean the hard drive is constantly spinning,its supposed to spin all the time

Athlon2K15, Mar 26, 2019
  4. Riel Alc Win User

Windows 10, Cannot set Logout Timer

Hi Waltz,

For us to better assist you with your log out timer issue, we'd like to know the following:

• Which build and version of Windows are your running on your computer?
    To check, press Windows key + R > type winver
    > hit Enter.

• "Cannot set Logout Timer" - Do you want to set your computer to auto-shutdown or auto-lock?
    • What steps have your tried to set the logout timer?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Riel Alc, Mar 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Hard Drive Spins Down despite timer being set to NEVER - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Spins

2. Sleep Timer Settings Are Being Ignored

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep Timer Settings Are Being Ignored: I am having trouble with my Lenovo Yoga 7i 16" running Windows 11 falling asleep extremely quickly. I primarily use my laptop for schoolwork where I am constantly shifting focus from the computer to books or paper, and it's reallllllllly annoying that every time I look down I...
  3. Sleep Timer Settings Are Being Ignored

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep Timer Settings Are Being Ignored: I am having trouble with my Lenovo Yoga 7i 16" running Windows 11 falling asleep extremely quickly. I primarily use my laptop for schoolwork where I am constantly shifting focus from the computer to books or paper, and it's reallllllllly annoying that every time I look down I...
  4. Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off: I’m having trouble keeping my screen from going dark in about 20 minutes. I’ve researched this site and others, and have already tried the following: Set both “Screen” and “Sleep” to NEVER when plugged in. Went to “Additional Power Settings” and “Choose or Customize Power...
  5. Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off: I’m having trouble keeping my screen from going dark in about 20 minutes. I’ve researched this site and others, and have already tried the following: Set both “Screen” and “Sleep” to NEVER when plugged in. Went to “Additional Power Settings” and “Choose or Customize Power...
  6. Screen Turns Off despite being set to NEVER turn off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
  7. PC is going to sleep despite power settings being set as Never/Never

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC is going to sleep despite power settings being set as Never/Never: My PC is going to sleep despite power settings being set as Never/Never How can I tell what is causing the sleep and after how long? What could be causing this? 179941
  8. Is it possible to set induvial hard drive spin down timers?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to set induvial hard drive spin down timers?: I want to be able to set spin down timers for each induvial hard drive. I know in Windows there is the setting for "turn hard drives off after". That, however, is one setting for all hard drives. I want to be able to set different timers for each hard drive. Here's why I...
  9. Hard Drive Spins Down despite timer being set to NEVER

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard Drive Spins Down despite timer being set to NEVER: Hi Please help me. I'm running Windows 10 pro (latest version, updates on). My notebook model is: Dell G3 15 I have an SSD and a hard drive installed, OS running from SSD, data being on HDD. That said HDD is not always in use. To prevent unwanted motor cycles, I set the...
  10. How to spin down some hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to spin down some hard drives: I have 1 SSD and 4 HDD, out of that I'm mainly using my SSD and 1 HDD, the rest are just making noise. How can I spin only those 3 down, without having to reset my PC each time I want to use them (device manager method) or spinning down the 4th one (power settings method)?...