Windows 10: Hard Drive Usage

Discus and support Hard Drive Usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; C: folder says there is 48.2 GB used. If I select all the folders and files, including hidden, on C: it says 40.7 GB used. Where is the other 7.5 GB?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by rdwray, Apr 22, 2020.

1. rdwray Win User

Hard Drive Usage

C: folder says there is 48.2 GB used. If I select all the folders and files, including hidden, on C: it says 40.7 GB used. Where is the other 7.5 GB? When I first set up windows, I had 69 GB+ (128 GB HD) unused, now it says 54.8 GB, where is all this stuff at?

:)

rdwray, Apr 22, 2020

2. Google Claims Hard Drives Don’t Fail Because of High Temperature or Usage

One common argument in the world of computing is that high temperatures make hard drives more likely to fail, and the same is said for high usage levels. However, when conducting internal research, search giant Google suggests that this is only true for hard drives in their first months of operation or once they are over five years old. According to Google, there are so many other variables that the biggest factor in the lifetime of hard drives is actually the model itself rather than the conditions. In fact, Google saw a trend suggesting that drives are more likely to fail at lower temperatures or extremely high temperatures, and generally speaking, hard drives failed less as temperature increased (until these extremes were reached). As for high usage, the research showed that hard drives only seem to be affected by high usage in the first months or after it is five years old, and other than that the rate of failure was the same as drives in low-usage environments.

Source: TG Daily

Jimmy 2004, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Apr 22, 2020
  4. Hard Drive Usage

little cat, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Hard Drive Usage

1. Hard Drive Usage - Similar Threads - Hard Drive Usage

2. How to track recent usage of hard drive space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to track recent usage of hard drive space?: I was surprised to find, shortly after freeing up more than 15% of my hard disk space, that I was receiving notifications of being back down to less than 1GB available.I'm trying to figure out what's causing this. Is there a way to track what has recently filled up my hard...
  3. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage: Hi!I've been encountering a problem recently with my TOSHIBA DTB410 1TB External Hard Drive whenever I connect it to my laptop. I've been using it for almost 2 years now and I've had no problem with it except the last few days. My file explorer slows down to a crawl and when...
  4. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage: Hi!I've been encountering a problem recently with my TOSHIBA DTB410 1TB External Hard Drive whenever I connect it to my laptop. I've been using it for almost 2 years now and I've had no problem with it except the last few days. My file explorer slows down to a crawl and when...
  5. EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE running at 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. 100% Hard Drive Usage

100% Hard Drive Usage: I did a reset on my laptop and it took more than three hours to finish the reset. And after the reset my hard drive is taking 100% of usage allways. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-hard-drive-usage/ad56032e-8213-4046-a4c5-3c12c0d4c8db
  7. Hard drive usage at 100% windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive usage at 100% windows 10: Hi everyone, i've been having an issue lately with windows, it is showing a 100% usage of the hard drive, checked the hard drive is working perfectly fine, my laptop is almost brand new, no tasks or multiple websites open at the time, but tasks admin is always showing a 100%...
  8. Hard Drive usage freezing system.

Hard Drive usage freezing system.: I recently bought a Seagate Barracuda 1TB drive. It randomly slows the system down freezes. In Task Manager the disk usage climes to a 100%. This will last for a few minutes and then the system resumes. This is the second hard drive, the first was returned due to the same...
  9. My hard drive is at 100% usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My hard drive is at 100% usage: I tried everything online to fix it... i even reinstalled windows. What is causing this to happen? Its not constantly at 100%, but it goes up when i do basically anything, and at startup. Its causing my pc to slow down tremendously. Please help. submitted by...
  10. problem of 100% usage of Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    problem of 100% usage of Hard Drive: Hello Dear Sir how can i solve this problem can you guide me to fix this problem please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-of-100-usage-of-hard-drive/3be20a83-290a-4cbd-8f49-7f7264b3fa06