Windows 10: Hard drive uses up more space than normal when downloading or installing a program

Discus and support Hard drive uses up more space than normal when downloading or installing a program in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, a few months back I started having a very strange issue regarding hard drive space on my 1TB WD Blue HDD, one that I have yet to find a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by sestrenexsis, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Hard drive uses up more space than normal when downloading or installing a program

Hi there,

a few months back I started having a very strange issue regarding hard drive space on my 1TB WD Blue HDD, one that I have yet to find a similar post about anywhere on support forums.

Whenever I'm downloading anything P2P, games/updates, large ZIPs, anything that's fairly big in size, and even installing any large program/game, my hard drive will assign way more space than required.

So for example, if a game's download size is 20GB, the hard drive fills up as much as 5 times that, to the point where the system reports the drive as full, when in reality it isn't, but it still prevents me from continuing the download if I'm midway through.

When I open a utility like WinDirStat to find any temp files that might be causing a problem, the program also tells me the drive is full, but can't find the cause for it aka it can't find any file that's gotten excessively big, so my assumption is just Windows wrongly assigning too much space.

Restarting my PC apparently fixes the incorrect reading. That is, until I download or install anything again.

Funnily enough, this only happens in said HDD. The 120GB SSD I'm using as my boot drive doesn't have this issue.

Things I've tried:

- Updating Windows I've gone through 2 major updates now

- Chkdsk

- DISM.exe tool

- Scandisk

After dealing with this for a couple months now, I'm at a loss as to what might be the culprit here. The computer is pretty much brand new Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, and I highly doubt it's the drive since I've previously had it for more than a year without any issues.

Thanks in advance!

:)

sestrenexsis, Jun 2, 2020
  2. sumasage Win User

Free hard drive backup/restore program?

I am looking for a free (freeware) program that will back up and restore a hard drive. I'm looking to clone a few external hard drives. If the program will backup the used space instead of the whole drive this will be awesome! Thanks for any suggestions.

sumasage, Jun 2, 2020
  3. Free hard drive backup/restore program?

Obviously you're looking for something besides your Xp Pro utility that does this?

thoughtdisorder, Jun 2, 2020
  4. badrobot Win User

Hard drive uses up more space than normal when downloading or installing a program

Partitioning My Hard Drive Without Losing Data

Download any of the suggested programs above and fire up Youtube for a step by step instruction. Easus is a good software. But I personally use MiniTool Partition Wizard.

It will only take 5 minutes to become a professional hard drive partitioner. Hard drive uses up more space than normal when downloading or installing a program :)

badrobot, Jun 2, 2020
Thema:

Hard drive uses up more space than normal when downloading or installing a program

1. Hard drive uses up more space than normal when downloading or installing a program - Similar Threads - Hard drive uses

2. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used: Hi, i have a 256GB D: drive, and it shows only 22 GB remaining. However, upon use of windirstat, or simply selecting all the folders from the root and clicking properties. The actual used space is less than what is reported in the drive itself. For example:Going to properties...
  3. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used: Hi, i have a 256GB D: drive, and it shows only 22 GB remaining. However, upon use of windirstat, or simply selecting all the folders from the root and clicking properties. The actual used space is less than what is reported in the drive itself. For example:Going to properties...
  4. Hard drive shows more used space than what is being used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined: Recently, My C: drive folder of 255 Gb space is showing 3 Gb space remaining. So, to reduce the space I tried options like disk cleanup, drive optimization, clearing up downloads, uninstalling unused apps, etc. Still, the amount freed up was very marginal. I found this link...
  6. C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined

C: drive is showing more used up space than the space occupied by files combined: Recently, My C: drive folder of 255 Gb space is showing 3 Gb space remaining. So, to reduce the space I tried options like disk cleanup, drive optimization, clearing up downloads, uninstalling unused apps, etc. Still, the amount freed up was very marginal. I found this link...
  7. Used space of drive is more than actual usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Used space of drive is more than actual usage: I am facing the low free space of my C drive, But I can't find what actually consumes the free space. All tools I used to stat the space report me that there is only 51G used but the drive properties says that I have used 95G space.I have disable the system restore, page file...
  8. Used space of drive is more than actual usage

Used space of drive is more than actual usage: I am facing the low free space of my C drive, But I can't find what actually consumes the free space. All tools I used to stat the space report me that there is only 51G used but the drive properties says that I have used 95G space.I have disable the system restore, page file...
  9. Used space of drive is more than actual usage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. Hard drive used space more than doubled...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive used space more than doubled...: Can't figure this out. Have a Tablet 2 in 1 with W10 and 32GB SSD. Have not installed any programs. A few days ago the size of the used space on he drive was 7.8 now, it is 16.6GB. Any clues? 63598