Windows 10: Hard drive won't boot on one specific computer

Discus and support Hard drive won't boot on one specific computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba Satellite S55-A5294 laptop computer. It is running Windows 10. I had the drive encrypted using Jetico's BestCrypt full disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LDL707, Oct 5, 2015.

1. LDL707 Win User

Hard drive won't boot on one specific computer

I have a Toshiba Satellite S55-A5294 laptop computer. It is running Windows 10. I had the drive encrypted using Jetico's BestCrypt full disk encryption.

Several weeks ago, I was using Windows, put the computer to sleep, and when I came back an hour later and woke it up, I got the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen. This was followed by a message that automatic repair was unsuccessful. This problem has happened in the past. In the past, it was the result of a Windows update overwriting the BestCrypt bootloader (BestCrypt encrypts the system partition, so it has to have its own pre-environment password prompt, which can then pass to the mounted system). However, this time it wasn't the case.

As it turned out, I had a corrupted volume. With the excellent help of Jetico's technical support, I was able to recover my data. I pulled the hard drive out of the Toshiba computer, put it in a USB enclosure, and connected it to a Lenovo Thinkpad E530, also running Windows 10. In this configuration, I was able to decrypt the drive, and access my data.

I restarted my Lenovo and forgot to disconnect the Toshiba's hard drive. The Lenovo booted right up, into the Toshiba's desktop. I backed up my data, and, for good measure, made a disk image of the whole thing.

I pulled the drive out of the enclosure, and reconnected it to the Toshiba, from which it originally came. When I turn it on, however, I get a BSOD informing me that I have an error: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, and the computer then automatically restarts. Upon restart, I receive either the same thing, or a "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen, which then tells me that my computer failed to boot, and suggests a restart. There is also the option for advanced troubleshooting. If I restart, I get locked into the same loop.

I am still able, however, to pull the drive out of that computer, and boot it up when it's attached to my other computer.

I tried connecting the drive to the Toshiba (the original computer from which it came) via the USB enclosure, and I still get the same errors. The Toshiba is able, however, to boot a Linux Live USB.

I know that the drive is bootable. And I know that the Toshiba is willing to boot. They just won't play together.

I ran chkdsk on the system volume, and found no errors. I tried using the Repair option on a Windows 10 installation USB, and didn't really get anywhere.

I can come up with no explanation for why the same disk would be bootable on one computer, and not bootable on the other.

Please help

:)

LDL707, Oct 5, 2015
  2. Cesar-_- Win User

Booting from wrong hard drive

Hello I have one 80 gb hard drive on my computer but I wanted to use my old hard drive while keeping my 80 gb as my main because it has Windows 10 installed but my old hard drive had Windows 7 so when I try to boot my computer it uses my old hard drive
    to boot and it won't show up in bios just onboard drive not a specific one and I can't format it because it boots from it

Cesar-_-, Oct 5, 2015
  3. JimWynne Win User
    windows 10 update broke my computer?

That's a SATA connector, and you're likely to have more of those than are needed, so it might be nothing. You should look at the hard drive(s) and optical drive; each should have two connectors plugged into it, one for power and one for data. If the
    hard drive was disconnected, the computer won't boot.

JimWynne, Oct 5, 2015
  4. SoxmisUK Win User

I would try clearing the ESCD table in the BIOS of the Toshiba you may find it in the BIOS SETUP.

Then it wouldn't harm to clear your BIOS.

SoxmisUK, Oct 5, 2015
  5. Antilope Win User
    Try using a Linux partition manager to delete any partial or scrambled partitions on the hard drive in question.

I would try putting Linux (Ubuntu or Linux Mint, both are free) on a bootable USB drive (an 8gb USB stick will work). Download a Linux .ISO, use Rufus to make a bootable USB stick from the .ISO. Boot up linux from the USB drive and run the Gparted partition manager program that comes with linux. Use that program to delete all partitions on the stubborn hard drive.

Then use Windows to partition and format the drive.

The idea is, if there is some kind of partition fragment or some scrambled partition that Windows can't fix, maybe the Linux partition manager can delete them and allow it to be fixed. It doesn't cost anything to try.

Ubuntu and Linux Mint look and operate like Windows. Point and click with a mouse. You don't have to type any commands into a command window to run the partition manager in Linux.

Antilope, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Hard drive won't boot on one specific computer - Similar Threads - Hard drive won't

2. Hard drive won't boot at first startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive won't boot at first startup: Problem started about two days ago, my laptop has been turned off for four days, I turned it on only to find the internal hard drive disk D: missing, I tried finding it in disk management, device manager, and later even in BIOS and it doesn't show up on all three. I've tried...
  3. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not: I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer needs.Recently and inexplicably I woke up to find my computer bluescreened and telling me that Windows had failed to...
  4. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not: I have Windows installed on two hard drives, one is an HDD I don’t really use anymore, and the other is a 2 TB SSD that I use for most of my computer needs.Recently and inexplicably I woke up to find my computer bluescreened and telling me that Windows had failed to...
  5. One Hard Drive Boots, the Other Does not

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Computer won't boot after migrating the OS to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer won't boot after migrating the OS to a new hard drive: When I bought my desktop, quite a while ago now, I tried to spec it to be future-proof, except for some reason I only got a 256G C: drive. So, after being annoyed for quite a while with not having enough space I cloned it today. I followed the steps in this article, except I...
  7. Issue with a specific hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issue with a specific hard drive: After a few days of experimentation trying to figure out what’s going on with my PC, I believe I can safely narrow the problem down to an issue with my hard drive. My symptoms are as follows: Windows in general is slowing down Files stored in the same location as my OS...
  8. External hard drive won't let me explore files on one specific computer.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive won't let me explore files on one specific computer.: Hi there, I have a 5TB external hard drive that stopped working with my Win 10 PC a few days ago. The drive is visible, but if it's plugged in I can't select it, open device manager, scan it or look at it's properties without is crashing my system. I've since tried it...
  9. New Update Won't Boot With More Than One Hard Drive Detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Update Won't Boot With More Than One Hard Drive Detected: Hello, After the recent Window's updates (1809), my OS stopped booting to desktop. It would get past the BIOS startup, and then hang forever on the Window's loading screen. After replacing MOBO, RAM, and even buying a new SSD to no avail, I am led to believe this is...
  10. computer boots wrong hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    computer boots wrong hard drive: My wife's computer has started once in awhile to try and boot from the d:\ drive. We turn off the computers at night. Some mornings when I turn on her computer I get the _ flashing in the upper corner of the monitor. When I reboot and go into the setup. I go to the boot...