Windows 10: Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?

Discus and support Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello everybody! I have exchanged my SATA SSD for a NVMe SSD, I also have 2TB HDDs. With the SATA SSD everything worked fine, when I switched to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by JakobTraxler69, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?

Hello everybody!

I have exchanged my SATA SSD for a NVMe SSD, I also have 2TB HDDs. With the SATA SSD everything worked fine, when I switched to the NVME, the HDD harddisks were not recognized anymore, I will find them in the Bios in the Disk Manager.

Even when I didn't have Windows on the NVMe, and only plugged them in to check (but booted from SATA) the HDDs disappeared.

I have Windows 10

I'm hoping someone can help me,

With kind regards

:)

JakobTraxler69, Aug 4, 2020

2. Hard Drive no longer recognized

Enter BIOS setup via Dell F2 key to see if hard drive is detected anywhere. Normally it would be listed by its Serial which you can google to get the make/model. If it's not listed then the next step is indeed to reseat it to see if you can get it to
    register.

I found this video which will show you how to carefully remove the hard drive and then reseat it as tightly as possible:

If you can get the hard drive recognized again and it won't start you can run the built-in Dell drive diagnostics or the HD maker's
    HD Diagnostic extended CD scan followed by a full

Disk Check
    from the booted Windows 10 Installation Media or Recovery Drive Command Line. This will
    confirm the condition of the drive with certainty.

If this fails then I would replace the hard drive with an SSD which is the best upgrade you can give the PC or Windows, then do a

Clean Install Windows 10
    and have a PC that's lightning fast as long as you stick with the steps given.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Aug 4, 2020
  3. BookValue Win User
    Hard drives no longer recognized

After upgrading to Windows 10, I connected a secondary hard drive to try and access some older files. The machine booted up but didn't recognize the drive. I turned it off, disconnected the secondary drive, but the machine no longer recognizes any hard drive
    when I try to boot it. The primary drive is not shown in the BIOS. I tried connecting a different drive but that was also not detected. I tried using a Windows 10 iso file on a flash drive to do a repair, but it failed saying there was no viable drive.

I connected another blank drive to the computer and attempted to do a fresh Windows install but the drive was also not recognized.

Any ideas on what to try next?

BookValue, Aug 4, 2020
  4. Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?

Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Aug 4, 2020
Thema:

Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange?

1. Hard drives are no longer recognized after SSD exchange? - Similar Threads - Hard drives are

2. SSD Drive Not recognized.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD Drive Not recognized.: HP Notebook 15-ef0025wm. My SSD with Windows 10 crashed on my PC. I've replaced it by a new one, but Bios uefi doesn't see it. I got the bios firmware updated with the help of a USB. The SSD driver file is however an .exe file, by hp and could only be launching on an already...
  3. SSD Drive Not recognized.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SSD Drive Not recognized.: HP Notebook 15-ef0025wm. My SSD with Windows 10 crashed on my PC. I've replaced it by a new one, but Bios uefi doesn't see it. I got the bios firmware updated with the help of a USB. The SSD driver file is however an .exe file, by hp and could only be launching on an already...
  4. hard drive/ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive/ssd: why do hard drive/ssd die https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drivessd/386ba5f0-2726-4c8e-a7a5-286c626dd32a
  5. Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer no longer recognizes hard drives.: Computer froze and i had to do a "hard reboot" and now won't load. Can get to DOS prompt when couldn't do system repair or restore and now system cannot find either hard drive....
  6. Hard drive not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive not recognized: My second Hard Drive is not recognized. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-recognized/e93a541f-2e22-4896-88ab-3c2042aec8a6
  7. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: Hey, I got a new hard drive today and for some reason I am unable to add it to my already existing ssd drive that my pc desktop currently runs on. I have tried going into create and format hard disk partitions and allocating the “unallocated disk” but there isn’t any drive...
  8. Hard drive not recognized

Hard drive not recognized: suddenly my external hard drive is not showing up in my pc however i can see it in devices and printers how can i fix this problem without losing all the information on my hard drive?...
  9. Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.

Upgrade from 8.1 to 10: Hard drive no longer recognized.: I just upgraded to Windows 10 as I planned to use the weekend to sort out any issues I might encounter during the upgrade. Well boy did I ever. My Seagate 3TB drive decided it no longer wanted to be recognized by Windows anymore. It shows up as a failed/deactivated drive in...
  10. USB Drive No Longer Recognized?

in Windows 10 Support
    USB Drive No Longer Recognized?: Hey everyone! So, I've been running into a weird situation and I was hoping to run into some clarification on what I could do to fix the problem. I got a 128GB Flash Drive which I proceeded to install a portable, bootable Fedora install on. Of course, naturally, since...