Windows 10: Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting

Discus and support Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Hello guys, I just connected eight 10 TB hard drives to my PC through USB 3.1. I am using the Mediasonic 8 bay enclosure found here. It's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Naif1992, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting

Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting CZTLxrJR-J_RlMfROAAis3KOQ9b6CqizVGhAJKWQBZw.jpg

Hello guys,

I just connected eight 10 TB hard drives to my PC through USB 3.1. I am using the Mediasonic 8 bay enclosure found here.

It's connected to the PC running Windows 10 on Asus' Z370 motherboard.

When I'm copying files to the drives (3 or 4 copy operations running at the same time while also downloading multiple files on Qbitorrent), randomly the processes are suspended as shown in the image below.

https://preview.redd.it/8ja31knqng3...bp&s=96397b11daf8e4bdbe732c3ca59370f043601a11

When I click on "Try Again," the processes resume normally. I have to resume Qbitorrent downloads as well since they were moved under "errorred."

https://preview.redd.it/2lt5ghmrng3...bp&s=0b5c9f3a0438a52034a337d2d0cf378210b632df

Here's what I tried so far:

• Disable "USB Selective Suspend"
    • Disable "turn off hard drive after"
    • Disable "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

What I will try when I get access to the PC:

• Change USB port
    • Change USB cable (the cable is new, by the way)

Anything else I should be looking into?

submitted by /u/Naif1992
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Naif1992, Jun 7, 2020

2. External hard drive disconnecting

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the external hard drive as it is disconnecting. I will certainly assist you.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of the external hard drive?
    • Are you getting any error messages in the device manager?
    Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Connect the external hard drive and perform the following methods.

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    • Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Method 2: Check if you can see the device in Device Manager

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Device manager.
    • Click on View Tab, Select Show hidden devices.
    • Click on Scan for Hardware changes.
    • Check if the devices show up in Device Manager in the device list.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Jun 7, 2020
  3. Overclock your hard drive!!!

Heres a much easier hack that I realized quite a few years ago that really does work!

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Hard drive with molex power connection.
    • PSU with more than 1 strand that has molex plugs on it.
    • Wire strippers, soldering iron if you're fancy, electrical tape if you're not.
    STEPS:
    • Take the strand of connectors from your PSU, and decide which one will be the donator for this overclocking adventure.
    • Cut the yellow and orange cables, then twist them together.
    • Find the power connector you've chosen as the overclocking connector, and release the orange cable from the connector. Now use your preferred method to bind them together, then place it back together.
    • Plug in a drive and feel the speed!
    Congratulations! You've just overclocked your hard drive!

Sir B. Fannybottom, Jun 7, 2020
  4. Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting

Lost data from hard drive, what to do now?

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it's a WD My Passport that failed on you, @tomhenry ! *Frown Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting :(
    I'd recommend you to try using a different USB cable with it and see if that will help your system to detect it without it disconnecting.
    I'd also suggest you to go to Disk Management and see how the drive is listed there. It won't hurt to check up on the health and SMART status of the HDD by running the QUICK and EXTENDED tests from the WD's Data LifeGuard Diagnostics. Here's a link to the available software: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=11ZOpD

Give these troubleshooting steps a try and keep us posted with the results!
    SuperSoph_WD

SuperSoph_WD, Jun 7, 2020
Thema:

Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting

1. Hard Drives Keep Disconnecting - Similar Threads - Hard Drives Keep

2. USB hard drive keeps disconnecting when trying to copy files to it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    USB hard drive keeps disconnecting when trying to copy files to it: I'm trying to back up a whole bunch of files to my external HDD, and every few minutes it disconnects for no apparent reason. Just, all of a sudden Windows will play the "device disconnected" sound and the file transfer will be interrupted, even though the HDD is still...
  3. External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting: I have a brand new device and I tried to plug in my hard drive to retrieve some of my files but the hard drive kept disconnecting from my device and I was unable to keep it open for more than two minutes at a time. Sometimes it would show the error message "a device which...
  4. External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting

External hard drive keeps disconnecting and conntecting: I tried disabling the usb setting in power options with no luck. Is this my drive thats become defective or can i try something else? Thanks in advance Btw the drive works fine until is disconnects submitted by /u/dean_yyy [link] [comments]...
  5. My external hard drive keeps disconnecting

My external hard drive keeps disconnecting: I bought an external hard drive a couple of months ago and it has been working perfectly but a couple of days ago it started to randomly disconnect. What I have already tried: Try a different USB-Port - It disconnected more frequently in my other USB port Update drivers...
  6. Internet/Ethernet keeps disconnecting on my backup hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet/Ethernet keeps disconnecting on my backup hard drive: Very weird situation. Running 1909. Never had this happen before. If I boot from my primary drive I never lose internet .. However, if I boot from my backup drive.. which is an image of the primary drive I lose internet connectivity if I am idle for a while and can’t get it...
  7. CD Drive keeps disconnecting

CD Drive keeps disconnecting: Hello, I have an issue with my CD drive. The Drive is a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222 AL. Windows appears to keep disconnecting it. Windows will play the "Device Disconnected" sound, and the drive will dissapear. I have repeatedly checked the connections, and the drive is...
  8. My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting

My hard drive keeps disconnecting and reconnecting: I have a razer blade stealth 2016 and a 1 TB Toshiba hard-drive. I have a a couple files and some games on the hard drive. It does this disconnect, reconnect thing when in use and when not in use. It makes it extremely annoying because data gets lost if I am using a file on...
  9. External Hard Drive Disconnected.

External Hard Drive Disconnected.: I tried to format my external hard drive to clear it out so I could start fresh with windows backup automatic in windows 10. Now I no longer have my (E:) drive under disk management. I have a disk 0 and 1 but do not know what they are. Under device manager it shows as...
  10. Hard Drive randomly disconnecting

Hard Drive randomly disconnecting: Hey guys! It has been problem after problem with this PC and Windows 10. Now at the moment, I have had issues with my external hard drives randomly disconnecting. A few days back, both were randomly disconnecting then reconnecting while not in use. When replugging the USB,...