Windows 10: Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.

Discus and support Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home 2004 version I am trying to set up file sharing between my computers on the same router. After going through every step in all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BobnTN, Jun 30, 2020.

1. BobnTN Win User

Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.

Windows 10 Home 2004 version

I am trying to set up file sharing between my computers on the same router. After going through every step in all documents on the subject numerous times, the best I can do on one computer is see very limited folders, no documents no pictures.
    I have found that the drives show up on each computer as Media Devices. If I double click one it opens up Windows Media Player.
    I sort of think this may be my sharing problem, maybe not.
    How can I change the drive designations to Hard drives or Computer?

:)

BobnTN, Jun 30, 2020

2. Network drives are showing as Media Devices

I just made a new install of Windows 10 and at first the other networked drives on my home server where showing correctly but now they appear in the Network screen as Media Devices.

I'm not sure when it happened but I did reboot to change security settings, could this do anything?

I've googled the issue and others have reported but the suggested fix of enabling Function Discovery/SSDP Discovery/UPnP doesn't seem to do anything.

It was working correctly so I have no idea why it stopped.

Thanks,

William

William R Hollingsworth, Jun 30, 2020
  3. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi.

R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer files to it except with sneakernet.

I looked at the network structure on each computer using "Control Panel devices and printers" as well as File mgr - Network.

D- devices: D and E listed as media devices, no computers, D does not see R.
    D- Network: D and E listed as media devices. Dbl click either brings up Media Player.

E- devices: D and R listed as media devices.
    E- Network: D and E listed as computers and D again as a media device.

R- devices: D and E show up as media devices.
    R- Network: R as a computer and D as a media device.

The new laptop R is a ghost, sometimes seen but mostly not and doesn't participate.

Using Team Viewer 12
    D and E connect, test file transfers OK.
    D and R connect, I can see partial R desktop (shows links but not folders), R sees D file structure, files will not transfer.

Don't know if this matters - I ran the Network troubleshooter on all three computers - "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings", on any of them.

I'm a geologist at wits end.

stonecherub, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.

Network External Hard drive not showing in available network devices

The Network External Hard drive not showing in available network devices. It shows up on all other computers on the network except this one. I attempted to locate it through a network device search but it only looks for blue tooth devices. On other computers,
    it shows up as a computer as well as one device (computer) but wont appear on this one.

CraigHaley1, Jun 30, 2020
Thema:

Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices.

1. Hard drives show as Media Devices in Network Devices. - Similar Threads - Hard drives show

2. Hard drive no longer in explorer, shows in device manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive no longer in explorer, shows in device manager: So their was a windows 10 update last night. Updated and turned my PC off and went to bed. Turned on PC today to game a little before I go to a wedding. Now its missing in 'my computer' but shows up in device manager as working fine? Also the storage has shrunk massively! I...
  3. Hard drive no longer in explorer, shows in device manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive no longer in explorer, shows in device manager: So their was a windows 10 update last night. Updated and turned my PC off and went to bed. Turned on PC today to game a little before I go to a wedding. Now its missing in 'my computer' but shows up in device manager as working fine? Also the storage has shrunk massively! I...
  4. Network devices not showing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network devices not showing: Since updating windows 10 it has made my PC2 network device vanish from Network list? I have googled and YouTube every possible solution. Everything to network discovery is set to Turn on. Can someone please help? Windows 10 pro - 20H2 165691
  5. External Hard drive not showing as available device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard drive not showing as available device: Hello, I recently purchased a second-hand Transcend Storejet 25h3 1TB external hard drive, connected via USB 3.0. It doesn't show up as an available device or drive from the menu on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4, but I can select it from the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject...
  6. Network Drive opens as Media Device only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Drive opens as Media Device only: *I'm sure this is an answered question. a link will suffice. thanks. I'm banging my head on the desk to some degree; I have followed all of the official steps to share a drive on the network (sans 'home group'), PC#1 shares a drive, and PC#2 can see it, and open it. But only...
  7. Network drives are showing as Media Devices

Network drives are showing as Media Devices: I just made a new install of Windows 10 and at first the other networked drives on my home server where showing correctly but now they appear in the Network screen as Media Devices. I'm not sure when it happened but I did reboot to change security settings, could this do...
  8. NAS device shows as Media device

NAS device shows as Media device: I have some NAS devices attached to my home network. When Win 10 boots up it correctly identifies them as NAS devices But when I return to my machine after a period away the NAS devices have been classed as Media devices and so cannot be accessed In this case I have to...
  9. network changed to media device

network changed to media device: Hi, I have 2 computers on a workgroup network. I don't use Home network. This was working right before. Now, the second computer shows up as a media device on the first computer. Media Steaming is off. The network page says computer1 and Media Devices says...
  10. Network Locations/Media Devices

Network Locations/Media Devices: Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem, one which I cannot seem to solve. I have several shared folders and media streaming enabled on my PC which originally displayed under 'This PC' as a Network Location, however now it is not displayed there at all and the only...