Windows 10: Hard freeze issue with laptop

Discus and support Hard freeze issue with laptop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; To preface: I've tested all my hardware and it seems to be fine. The problem most likely comes from software but I've got no clue what it is exactly.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jaybles, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Jaybles Win User

Hard freeze issue with laptop

To preface: I've tested all my hardware and it seems to be fine. The problem most likely comes from software but I've got no clue what it is exactly.

I've done several clean installs trying to fix this to no avail. Usually, 10 will work fine for a few days with zero problems. Then, hard freeze out of nowhere no matter what I'm doing. Hard drive light turns off, everything is unresponsive including mouse, keyboard, touchpad, etc while I'm stuck staring at the screen where it froze. I'm forced to hold down the power button to reboot. THEN, once this initial hard freeze happens, they become more and more frequent until I get a hard freeze right before the login screen, in which I'm forced to try another clean install. Safe mode is affected by this, HOWEVER I can use "Safe Mode With Command Prompt" totally fine.

I have an HP Pavilion DV7 which meets all requirements. Hardware is totally fine, event viewer isn't much help, and minidump only brings up a Kernel Power notice. Any help at all? I'm totally lost here.

:)

Jaybles, Sep 29, 2015
  2. KasparsZe Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary AFTER newest update

I was installed clean windows on my alienware laptop ssd with latest update still got the freeze issue, after couple minutes its freez hard. Need to hard reset

alienware 17

nvidia gtx 770 3gb

sad 64gb

1.5TB hard drive

KasparsZe, Sep 29, 2015
  3. Event ID 41Kernel Power as a critical error .

Thanks for the response, yes I found out that the Kernel ID41error was as a result of the fact I have to hard reboot my laptop once it freezes. The real issue is VSS id 8194 critical error that caused the laptop to freeze so your suggestion on how to
    fix that woukd be appreciated.

Paul_Harrold, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Hard freeze issue with laptop

Have you got all the latest drivers installed or BIOS been updated as I had that trouble on my Toshiba when on windows 8.1 but once BIOS updated ready for 10 and then drivers updated once 10 installed have had no trouble since.

hTconeM9user, Sep 30, 2015
Thema:

Hard freeze issue with laptop

1. Hard freeze issue with laptop - Similar Threads - Hard freeze issue

2. Laptop freezing issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezing issue: Hi, my laptop is getting frozen several times. I used Windows 10 and have already deleted most of the data from my laptop. What should I take steps to stop this problem?...
  3. Laptop freezing issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop freezing issue: Hi, my laptop is getting frozen several times. I used Windows 10 and have already deleted most of the data from my laptop. What should I take steps to stop this problem?...
  4. Laptop freezing issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop randomly freezing issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop randomly freezing issue: I have an HP laptop, 5 years old now. Few months back, I faced the freezing problem in both normal and safe mode. This issue surfaced after it was updated to Windows 11. Took the laptop to the shops, migrated back to Windows 1021H2 version and installed 256 GB SSD. After 1...
  6. Laptop randomly freezing issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop randomly freezing issue: I have an HP laptop, 5 years old now. Few months back, I faced the freezing problem in both normal and safe mode. This issue surfaced after it was updated to Windows 11. Took the laptop to the shops, migrated back to Windows 1021H2 version and installed 256 GB SSD. After 1...
  7. Laptop randomly freezing issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Freezing laptop issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Freezing laptop issues: I have a Dell 3793 laptop with a 2 TB hard drive and 16 GB memory which is less than a year old. I slowly populated the hard drive with files, videos, apps, etc. A few months ago, I noticed a degradation in the startup time, but once it started, it ran fast. All my files...
  9. Steam causes a hard freeze on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Steam causes a hard freeze on my laptop.: Recently switched out old hard drive for a brand new SSD. Computer works great. Last night I installed steam, downloaded a few games, played for a bit and then upon restart my computer froze. Task manager was not able to be used during this freeze. Then I started it in safe...
  10. Hard disk issue Lenovo Laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard disk issue Lenovo Laptop: I am having issue with what I believe is a hard disk issue in my laptop, it is a 1tb seagate St1000LM024 disk, over 750gb free. Tried installing window 1803 feature update couple of nights ago took over 8 hours to install and that was after resetting the window update due to...