Windows 10: Hard / Symlinks for Subfolders of WpSystem not valid

Discus and support Hard / Symlinks for Subfolders of WpSystem not valid in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, I was trying to create Hard- / and Symlink in sub folders of WpSystem folder. Both hard- and symlinks fail at the end. Hardlink is created... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ItsMePS, Oct 10, 2020.

1. ItsMePS Win User

Hard / Symlinks for Subfolders of WpSystem not valid

Hi there,

I was trying to create Hard- / and Symlink in sub folders of WpSystem folder. Both hard- and symlinks fail at the end.

Hardlink is created with correct file size, but when I try to open the file, I get the error message "File not found". Symlink is created as admin but with file size 0. When I try to open the 0 byte file I get "File not found" ok, didn't expect something else.

The source file and the link are on the same partition. Link creation of the file in any other folder outside of WpSystem and its subfolders is working correctly. "The File" is no special file, any link of any file fails in subfolders of WpSystem. WpSystem it self is protected by "permission denied" when copying files I don't care, but subfolders are accessible.

In case some asks why I wanna do this: The MSFS2020 Community folder is located far down below that WpSystem folder and I try to manage Mods by Hard- / Symlinks instead of "real" files.

Any idea or solution?

Thanks in advance!

:)

ItsMePS, Oct 10, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Symlinks in Windows 10

Source: Symlinks in Windows 10! - Building Apps for WindowsBuilding Apps for Windows

Brink, Oct 10, 2020
  3. aydee1905 Win User
    Symlink deleted with Windows 10 upgrade

Hello,

I have 2 hard drives, as follows:

1) Solid state primary/system hard drive with Windows 8.1 installed (CHard / Symlinks for Subfolders of WpSystem not valid :)

2) Secondary hard drive for all files (FHard / Symlinks for Subfolders of WpSystem not valid :)

I used a symlink so that all files and settings are saved to F: but Windows would behave as if they were on C:

I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I opted to keep all files and settings. The installation was successful, it seems, except that the symlink has gone. The result, of course, is that Windows 10 is using none of my settings which are still on
    F:

Any ideas how to restore the symlink? Will this be problematic? In other words, will using the old user settings from Windows 8.1 in Windows 10 cause problems? To use my 2 hard drives with a symlink is it best to format the primary disk, create the symlink
    again, and do a fresh install of Windows 10?

Thank you,

aydee1905, Oct 10, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Symlinks in Windows 10

Source: Symlinks in Windows 10! - Building Apps for WindowsBuilding Apps for Windows

Brink, Oct 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Hard / Symlinks for Subfolders of WpSystem not valid - Similar Threads - Hard Symlinks Subfolders

2. Copy files from WpSystem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy files from WpSystem: I'm trying to copy an app's data from Wpsystem to another folder. When I copy those files, a message pops up saying 'Your organization does not allow you to place this file here. Is there any way to fix this, shall I run File Explorer as an admin?...
  3. Copy files from WpSystem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy files from WpSystem: I'm trying to copy an app's data from Wpsystem to another folder. When I copy those files, a message pops up saying 'Your organization does not allow you to place this file here. Is there any way to fix this, shall I run File Explorer as an admin?...
  4. Symlinks and OneDrive Questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Symlinks and OneDrive Questions: I have a couple of questions--that need to be answered in non-technical-American-English regarding symlinks in Windows 10, but a bit of background first. I know that symlinks can be used to copy data that is in non-standard places to one's online OneDrive account without...
  5. Can't move WpSystem file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't move WpSystem file: Hey r/Windows10, recently I bought a new drive to store all of my games and I wanted to move my WpSystem folder to it from my old drive because it had info from all of my Game Pass PC games. Whenever I try to move it I get a message saying that "Your organization does not...
  6. How to make a symlink?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make a symlink?: How do I make a symlink? submitted by /u/eliminateAidenPierce [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j9v5ug/how_to_make_a_symlink/
  7. WpSystem folder

WpSystem folder: I am planning on cloning my windows drive to a different hard drive. As i was clearing off the drive i am going to clone windows to, there was one folder which didn't move. It is the WpSystem folder. When i attempted to move it, it said "your organization does not allow...
  8. Onedrive sees symlinks that aren't there....

Onedrive sees symlinks that aren't there....: Trying to sync my Documents folder buuuut it thinks there is a 'My Music' symlink in there. I've looked everywhere and can't find what it's looking for or talking about. I got rid of those shortcuts out of that folder a loooong time ago. There aren't any hidden...
  9. creating symlink

in Windows 10 Support
    creating symlink: using Command Prompt, only to be told that I "do not have sufficient privileges" What am I doing wrong, please? 147104
  10. Symlinks in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Symlinks in Windows 10: Overview Symlinks, or symbolic links, are “virtual” files or folders which reference a physical file or folder located elsewhere, and are an important feature built in to many operating systems, including Linux and Windows. The Windows’ NTFS file system has supported...