Windows 10: Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure?

Discus and support Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; UPDATE: Ok so things got weird after spending days moving files and folder to a new drive, i restarted my computer and that drive was empty. None of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by billybag, Oct 30, 2017.

1. billybag Win User

Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure?

UPDATE: Ok so things got weird

after spending days moving files and folder to a new drive, i restarted my computer and that drive was empty. None of the files were there. BUT my computer tells me that 653GB are free out of 4TB so i restarted back into LP and moved two folders filled with files into the new drive and that actually stuck. But those only add up to a few GBs and not TBs.

It is like the folders and files are invisible. Even when i restart into LP, the files and folders aren't there, but it says that space is filled.

So to recap: Moved a little over 3TB of files to new 4TB drive
    Restart computer and even though it says the space has been filled; none of the new files are there
    Restart into LP and moved two folders (one with 50 or so MP3s and another with about 10 videos of 2-5 minutes each)
    Restart again and those two folders and files are there, but computer still says says i only have 600GB out of 4TB left.

And now i am wondering if i should reformat and try again, but what if the data is actually there. i scanned for errors and windows found some, i am completing that now.

UPDATE: Scanned for and repaired drive. Folders and files appeared. i think i am good then. i am going to give it another day or so; make sure i recovered everything, and then reformat the troubled drive as suggested.

billybag, Nov 7, 2017
  2. jumanji Win User

Learn a lesson. You should, as a matter of abundant caution, never move files. Always copy the files to the new destination. After verifying that all the files have been copied and could be accessed, then and only then you should, if you want , delete the files in the source disk. This is all the more important when you are trying to recover data, using an hitherto unfamiliar software/procedure.

I am not sure why you are going through a lot of hiccups but in the end I hope you will manage to get through.

When the project *Smile completes successfully and you are happy, let us know.

And then you can a write a tutorial on how to recover data from an inaccessible disk in Windows 10 using Lucid Puppy. *Smile

jumanji, Nov 8, 2017
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    absolutely agree -- I have 2 X 2 Bay HDD enclosures (so I have 4 HDD's in them in total -- the 3.5 inch ones.). These enclosures connect to USB3 or SATA and give very good performance -- you can enable as RAID 0, RAID 1, JBOD or individual HDD's. They come with internal fan too so cooling not a problem -- excellent way of using older HDD's when upgrading to new internal HDD's / SSD's and of course they connect to laptops as well.

I'd recommend anybody to buy the enclosures and separate HDD's (or use their old HDD's) rather than the enclosed external desktop models.

This is the sort of thing I mean

Yottamaster Aluminum 2 Bay 3.5 USB3.0 Hard Drive RAID: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Otherwise the self powered passport small external USB3 drives seem fine (and rugged)

I like these 4TB ones WD at around 120 EUR.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-p...?skuId=5605515

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 10, 2017
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Exactly. Even if the files seem to be moved correctly you only know for sure when you open them.
    OP's drive seems to have a file structure problem. Has happened to me too when using old (but perfectly fine) HDDs and an IDE to USB bridge.
    When you copy files across you still have your source available just in case. Even when you don't know the actual state of them.

OP's drive, when seen by Windows still reports the correct size of the drive which is definitely a hopeful sign.

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 10, 2017
  5. Michkelo Win User
    Hi billybag, I was wondering how you got your mouse and keyboard to work in lucid puppy. I also need to retrieve files from a dying hdd.

Michkelo, Jan 18, 2018
  6. billybag Win User
    sorry for the late response. i don't remember. i think i tried different USB ports.

billybag, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure? - Similar Threads - Harddrive Failure Hardware

2. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is this hardware failure?: Following clean-ups of my C drive, Windows suddenly began acting hostile towards my management and restricted nearly everything.I cannot access my desktop, not my harddrives, not the startup menu, my admin rights were revoked and I can't even access regular settings.I tried...
  3. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this hardware failure?: Following clean-ups of my C drive, Windows suddenly began acting hostile towards my management and restricted nearly everything.I cannot access my desktop, not my harddrives, not the startup menu, my admin rights were revoked and I can't even access regular settings.I tried...
  4. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC Crash Causes Harddrive Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Crash Causes Harddrive Failure: This has happened twice. Background:My PC crashes sometimes, and I don't know why. No minidump is created, and the event log shows kernel power event ID 41. There is no sustained bluescreen after the crash--the bluescreen either doesn't appear or just flashes before the PC...
  6. HardDrive Failure?

HardDrive Failure?: Good Evening, This is Aniket, So I have started observing a issue recently that the laptop freezes and if i am using something like chrome or listening music on groovy etc it just gets stuck on not responding and then i have to hold the power button to shut it down else...
  7. Hardware Failure

Hardware Failure: The last couple of days been having PC problems. In the mornings when watching a video the PC would freeze and a buzzing sounding. Then the PC would restart, no BSOD just restarted. This morning, turned on the monitor and was greeted with a "no signal' message on the scree....
  8. nmi hardware failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    nmi hardware failure: i recently meet a nmi hardware failure problem a it keeps blue screen for every 5mins, i tried the guide on this page https://windowsreport.com/nmi_hardware_failure-windows-10/2/ and it back to blue screen after an hour, tried reset windows and still not working and i...
  9. Harddrive failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Harddrive failure: My harddrive failed and I want to know what I have to do to get my factory windows install back on my new harddrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/harddrive-failure/abbd9b14-d1aa-435f-bda1-68f66cc0df2f"
  10. recovery after harddrive failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    recovery after harddrive failure: before I had win 10 pro, office 365. The harddrive failed, the shop replaced it. Now, I have win 10 home, activated, associated with my account, but no pro and no office 365....