Windows 10: Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure?

Discus and support Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My external harddrive is relatively new; no more than 2 years. It has been failing to be recognized my my PC and getting an I/O error when in Safe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by billybag, Oct 30, 2017.

1. billybag Win User

Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure?

My external harddrive is relatively new; no more than 2 years. It has been failing to be recognized my my PC and getting an I/O error when in Safe Mode. When not in safe mode, it just stops being recognized by my PC.

Explorer also has it labeled as a 7.27TB harddrive when it is 4TB

What i want to know is whether it is likely to be a hard drive problem (and that i need to have the data recovered) or if it is a hardware problem (and i can just remove it from the case somehow and insert it into another enclosure).

i have one of those devices that lets you insert a barebones harddrive to be accessed through USB; i can use that.

i have tried to access the drive using a different cable and a different computer and get the same results.
    thanks

:)

billybag, Oct 30, 2017
  2. LeonLaude Win User
    LeonLaude, Oct 30, 2017
  3. windows update crashedcomputer

after update computer went to diagnosing, then it said that auto repair could not repair my pc.. then it said harddrive failure

bevjackson1, Oct 30, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

This would indicate that it's the HDD failing. What type of external drive is this.....brand/make/model?

Plankton, Oct 30, 2017
  5. billybag Win User
    it is a Seagate Expansion Desktop model number SRD0NF2 i have the worse luck with harddrives. This must be my 3rd or 4th one to go in the last 5 years and on two different PCs

EDIT: It actually is an 8TB harddrive, i found my confirmation email from when i bought it in January!

billybag, Oct 30, 2017
  6. In future I'd stay away for those enclosed external drives. I have a 1TB Passport in my hand. Failed. Opened it up, data was on another source, and it has electronics solder to drive.

I like the raw drives you place in an enclosure. Little more money, run way longer.

Is it functioning at all? I would not open drive unless you know for sure they are not doing anything special in the electronics.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Oct 30, 2017
  7. billybag Win User
    It is functioning in that it A. turns on and B. i can access some of it while my PC is in Safe Mode. Some folders are accessible, but some are not. It is a really really important drive so i definitely want to recover its data. I am trying to decide if i want to have it sent for recovery ($$$) or if i want to crack open the enclosure and try to connect it to my computer through different means

EDIT: i used the warranty search on Seagate's site and it IS under warranty, but i highly doubt this includes data recovery

billybag, Oct 30, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Couldn't agree more Ken.....that's where I was headed.

I would recommend a NAS setup.....fairly inexpensive, have their own software, and easily accessed by 1 or more users and some allow remote access (app on mobile phone).

Plankton, Oct 30, 2017
  9. billybag Win User
    i feel like we are getting a tad off topic, but i am entreated by the suggestion of a NAS setup. i was just going to go for an INTERNAL Harddrive this time around because money is an issue and especially since it seems like i am going to have to pay for data recovery. It is something i will definitely consider down the road

Unless you think a solution would be to get a NAS unit and crack open my external and put it in that?

billybag, Oct 30, 2017
  10. I tried to connect with someone who is what I consider an expert. If he is around I hope he will join. He is in a different time zone half way around the world.

I know on more than one occasion his answer is do NOT crack open. If your drive has the solder electronics you can't do anything with it and if they are doing something in electronics and you connect through standard enclosure you will add to your problem.

Copy out what you can immediately.

Ken

11. Interesting that it is recognized, or partially recognized in Safe Mode.

Never mind, re read your post on connecting to other computer.

Ken

12. Billybag, did you partition this drive.

Under disk management how does the drive look?

I assume as explorer is reporting 8GB it must be one partition but would like to confirm.

Sorry, I will catch up with this thread in AM. By then you will have completed backup of data you can see.

13. billybag Win User

Not only is it one partition, but Disk Manager reports it as healthy

billybag, Oct 30, 2017
  14. Well that is a good sign. When it shows healthy is there a drive letter assigned?

So over night I assume you got off the data you could.

These next ideas may put your drive at more risk but thought it might drive out discussion. Have you run chkdsk /r on drive or have you used Seatools by Seagate. I say more risk as anything that works a failing drive might be the last straw.

Ken

Edit 1: This drive doesn't need any special power requirements does it? Yes I'm stretching but I hate data loss.

15. jumanji Win User
    Thanks Caledon Ken for the call. I just saw it minutes before.

OK @ billybag , how is your drive doing? Have you been able to retrieve any data thus far?

I would like you to do two things now.

1. Post a full screenshot of your 8TB desktop in Windows Disk Management. Please adhere to the guidelines here
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of ( Please remove all other external storage devices)

2. Please download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Free 9.1 from http://www.filehorse.com/download-pa.../old-versions/ Yes, the old version 9.1 and not any newer version. Run version 9.1 and post a screenshot showing your 8TB drive. - the very first screen after you launch PW.

Your drive has an external power adapter . Right?

As Caledon rightly said, we shall try to recover the data as it is and shall think of removing the HDD from its housing only as a last resort.

Its bedtime for me now. So will see your response after another 8-10 hours, my tom morning.

I am still in the investigative stage and can tell you the prognosis only as we proceed.

jumanji, Oct 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Harddrive Failure or Hardware Failure? - Similar Threads - Harddrive Failure Hardware

2. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is this hardware failure?: Following clean-ups of my C drive, Windows suddenly began acting hostile towards my management and restricted nearly everything.I cannot access my desktop, not my harddrives, not the startup menu, my admin rights were revoked and I can't even access regular settings.I tried...
  3. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this hardware failure?: Following clean-ups of my C drive, Windows suddenly began acting hostile towards my management and restricted nearly everything.I cannot access my desktop, not my harddrives, not the startup menu, my admin rights were revoked and I can't even access regular settings.I tried...
  4. Is this hardware failure?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. PC Crash Causes Harddrive Failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Crash Causes Harddrive Failure: This has happened twice. Background:My PC crashes sometimes, and I don't know why. No minidump is created, and the event log shows kernel power event ID 41. There is no sustained bluescreen after the crash--the bluescreen either doesn't appear or just flashes before the PC...
  6. HardDrive Failure?

HardDrive Failure?: Good Evening, This is Aniket, So I have started observing a issue recently that the laptop freezes and if i am using something like chrome or listening music on groovy etc it just gets stuck on not responding and then i have to hold the power button to shut it down else...
  7. Hardware Failure

Hardware Failure: The last couple of days been having PC problems. In the mornings when watching a video the PC would freeze and a buzzing sounding. Then the PC would restart, no BSOD just restarted. This morning, turned on the monitor and was greeted with a "no signal' message on the scree....
  8. nmi hardware failure

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    nmi hardware failure: i recently meet a nmi hardware failure problem a it keeps blue screen for every 5mins, i tried the guide on this page https://windowsreport.com/nmi_hardware_failure-windows-10/2/ and it back to blue screen after an hour, tried reset windows and still not working and i...
  9. Harddrive failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Harddrive failure: My harddrive failed and I want to know what I have to do to get my factory windows install back on my new harddrive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/harddrive-failure/abbd9b14-d1aa-435f-bda1-68f66cc0df2f"
  10. recovery after harddrive failure

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    recovery after harddrive failure: before I had win 10 pro, office 365. The harddrive failed, the shop replaced it. Now, I have win 10 home, activated, associated with my account, but no pro and no office 365....