Windows 10: Hardware Change and Missing Digital License

Discus and support Hardware Change and Missing Digital License in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there I purchased Windows 8 Pro in 2015 and used this to get the free Windows 10 upgrade. For the last five years Windows would always tell me that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JonathanWright7, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hardware Change and Missing Digital License

Hi there

I purchased Windows 8 Pro in 2015 and used this to get the free Windows 10 upgrade. For the last five years Windows would always tell me that I had a digital license if I went into activation options under the settings panel. On my Microsoft account my PC would show up with the model number of my computer's motherboard a Gigabyte B85M-HD3-A for the now old Haswell socket CPUs.

Yesterday I got a new PC with a Coffeelake socket CPU. I installed Windows off a Windows 10 retail flash that I had lying around and just skipped the product key phase of installation because I assumed the digital license would re-activate once I signed into my Microsoft account. This did not happen. So I went into my account where the B85M-HD3-A was showing as one of my devices with a valid Windows 10 license, and 'removed PC' I figured I could not reactivate Windows if another PC was still registered to use the copy in question.

That was the last I saw of that license. I cannot activate Windows 10 on my new PC. I did a manual update because Windows kept returning errors if I tried the normal Windows Update facility and got the options to re-activate because of 'hardware change'. But all Windows tells me is that it cannot find a license linked to my account. This is COMPLETELY opposite to how I've been living for the past few years with Windows always telling me that I do in facthave a digital license.

Help help help.

:)

JonathanWright7, Feb 14, 2020

2. Uninstall (delete, remove) the Windows 10 digital license from old hardware, after reactivating it on new (similar) hardware, after hardware change

Hi,

I recently was able to reactivate my Windows 10 digital license on new (only on similar, same type laptop to laptop) hardware, by linking my Microsoft account. I followed the steps mentoned in

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

I find that the old hardware, still has an activated digital license of Windows.

I need to uninstall the digital license from the old hardware, in such a way that it will not activate, on its own, and will not invalidate the digital license on my new hardware, at all.

Please advice me, as I would like to transfer my digital license to my new hardware, completely, and permanently. I require my old hardware to not be having the digital license, at all, and the digital license to be completely deleted from it.

Vikram S Ramani, Feb 14, 2020
  3. Windows Activation after Hardware Change for digital license

Hi,

I bought a digital license in February 2018. After I changed my hardware once, a year ago, i've never managed to reactivate my license on this hardware. Maybe I did something wrong myself. I paid the 280 Swiss Francs for a digital license, because I know
    I change hardware often, I dont understand why it is such a struggle to activate windows again. I dont have the key available, but my order is in my history and in my mail.

Please help me reactivate my license.

with kind regards,

Kees Fluitman

KeesFluitman, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Hardware Change and Missing Digital License

Transferring Windows Digital License after significant hardware change

I've significantly upgraded my PC (new motherboard, storage), to the point where Windows 10 doesn't recognise it as the device I had my Windows 10 digital license on. When I go to settings - activation, I get error code 0xc004f213 which states no product
    key was found on this device (I'm signed into my microsoft account which has the digital license from before). I proceed to trouble shoot, and then click I recently changed hardware on this device. It proceeds to take me to a screen which lists my devices,
    but it only shows my Laptop which is running a separate product key/digital license (I bought windows 8.1 for my laptop and took the free upgrade, whereas this desktop PC was on windows 7 before I upgraded to 10). My PC isn't showing on this list.

I've been using this guide Need to reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware change? Here's how.

So how do I go about re-activating my Windows 10 Digital License on this device? Also, is livechat only open at certain times? because I've been trying to find it but I get directed to this forum and a phone number instead.

If this classes as a new PC due to the motherboard change do I need to buy a new version of Windows? If so, then is the license fixed to my old motherboard?

JoelBarfoot, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Hardware Change and Missing Digital License

1. Hardware Change and Missing Digital License - Similar Threads - Hardware Change Missing

2. Digital license not detected after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital license not detected after changing hardware: After changing motherboard, I tried reactivating Windows but getting error due to server not available. After successful reactivation, I did a system restore to an earlier time because of a driver issue then my Windows got deactivated again. Now I cannot reactivate as my...
  3. Digital license not detected after changing hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Digital license not detected after changing hardware: After changing motherboard, I tried reactivating Windows but getting error due to server not available. After successful reactivation, I did a system restore to an earlier time because of a driver issue then my Windows got deactivated again. Now I cannot reactivate as my...
  4. unable to reactivate digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    unable to reactivate digital license after hardware change: Purchased windows10 pro back in 2016 from MS OneStore. Motherboard failed two days ago and I had to replace it. When trying to activate my license troubleshooter says Error Code 0xC004F213.After calling MS support, I was told I have to call back during "normal business...
  5. Lost my digital license after hardware change

Lost my digital license after hardware change: I had upgraded from Windows 7 for free quite a few years ago. Now I changed the hardware on my computer and Windows refuses to activate itself automatically. I installed windows on the new drive using the windows creation tool, but it didn't work. I also managed to find my...
  6. Hardware change. Windows activation digital license.

Hardware change. Windows activation digital license.: Basics, my Hard drive died and I had to do a fresh install of Windows, signed in with my Mircosoft account but windows won't activate. Tried the 'Assistant' gave me a call back option, Talk to an Agent "There was an error connecting you. Feel free to ask another question or...
  7. Windows Digital License after a change of hardware

Windows Digital License after a change of hardware: Hello! Today i built a new PC where i basicly scrapped everything but my old SSD. To make sure i could use the same windows in the new build, i connected my windows license to my new account. Now in the new build i can't activate my windows account. When i troubleshoot the...
  8. Installing a digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing a digital license after hardware change: Hi all, I was hoping to double check with the wisdom of the interwebs if my understanding of the re-install process is right before I do something I can't undo. Essentially my PC has become very unstable, with the CPU dying a long painful death (painful for me anyways)....
  9. Installing a digital license after hardware change

Installing a digital license after hardware change: Hi all, I was hoping to double check with the wisdom of the interwebs if my understanding of the re-install process is right before I do something I can't undo. Essentially my PC has become very unstable, with the CPU dying a long painful death (painful for me anyways)....
  10. Windows 10 Digital license key hardware change

Windows 10 Digital license key hardware change: I recently upgraded my computers motherboard and SSD under the assumption that with a windows 10 pro digital license I'd be able to move the license to my new SSD and mobo via my windows account which it was attached to however it's telling me I have no digital license and...