Windows 10: Hardware change effects on Windows 10

Discus and support Hardware change effects on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I am looking to replace my motherboard and CPU soon and I have heard that changing hardware, particularly the motherboard, can affect your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Richolse, May 17, 2020.

1. Richolse Win User

Hardware change effects on Windows 10

Hi all,

I am looking to replace my motherboard and CPU soon and I have heard that changing hardware, particularly the motherboard, can affect your windows installation.

I started with Windows XP years ago and brought a windows XP to Windows 8.1 upgrade CD and then later got the free upgrade to windows 10. Since I do not have a Windows 10 cd or activation key, and my Windows 8.1 was only an upgrade I wanted to make sure before I messed with anything.

Will changing my motherboard and CPU require me to buy a new windows 10 installation or can I get my current installation to work with new hardware?

Thanks for the help,

Rich.

:)

Richolse, May 17, 2020

2. Lock Screen Fade to Desktop Effect Not Working

Hi,

Before we assist you let us know few details,

• Did you made any changes to your computer prior to the issue?

• Have you created any system restore point on your computer?

As initial troubleshooting steps I suggest you to install the latest windows 10 updates, please follow the steps to install all the windows updates.

If you want to check for the update now, select the Start button, then select
    Settings > Update & security >
    Windows Update > Check for updates.

We suggest you to try changing the visual effect setting. To Change your Visual Effects Settings in Advanced System Settings refer the below steps,

• Press Windows logo key+ X

• Click on Control panel

• Select System and Security

• Click on System

• And select System protection

• Select Advanced tab and click on
      Settings

• Now select the option Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer
      option.

And check if this helps to resolve the issue.

Hope this information helps with best visual effect on your device.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, May 17, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 17, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 17, 2020
Thema:

1. Hardware change effects on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Hardware change effects

2. Reinstalling windows 10 with hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling windows 10 with hardware change: Hello,I am buying new components, new CPU, GPU and RAM. I only keep the old motherboard, PSU and SSD. I want to do a clean installation of Win10. Will I need the activation key or just logging into my Microsoft account is gonna be ok? In "Activation" tab it says: "Windows is...
  3. Reinstalling windows 10 with hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling windows 10 with hardware change: Hello,I am buying new components, new CPU, GPU and RAM. I only keep the old motherboard, PSU and SSD. I want to do a clean installation of Win10. Will I need the activation key or just logging into my Microsoft account is gonna be ok? In "Activation" tab it says: "Windows is...
  4. Windows license effected by changing the date

Windows license effected by changing the date: Hello, i got a few question.1: Does my windows license product key remain valid if i change my computer's date?i changed the date in the settings, and when i set it to "set date automatically" it showed me a message saying my license will expire soon.2: How long does the...
  5. Windows license effected by changing the date

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows license effected by changing the date: Hello, i got a few question.1: Does my windows license product key remain valid if i change my computer's date?i changed the date in the settings, and when i set it to "set date automatically" it showed me a message saying my license will expire soon.2: How long does the...
  6. Windows license effected by changing the date

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Contiunual Updates And How They May Effect Older Hardware: In the past, as with windows 7, every update added functionality and never took anything away. I am concerned with this new windows 10 model of semi annual updates. I am concerned that they will start dropping support for older drivers (this has been verified on certain...
  8. Windows 10 hardware change activation

Windows 10 hardware change activation: Hello. I can't reactivate windows 10 after hardware change. When I get to troubleshooter the only PC I can choose is my last GIGABYTE motherboard, and there isn't this new PC with asus mb. On the contrary when I enter my Microsoft account on the network there is this new PC...
  9. Effects of changing BIOS time on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Effects of changing BIOS time on Windows 10?: Hello! I was just wondering what were the effects of changing the BIOS time on Windows 10? I've heard it can do some damage to files and programs (specifically antiviruses, I've heard those can be broken). What are such effects and are they reversible by putting the BIOS time...
  10. Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10: How to: Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10 How to Change Visual Effects Settings in Windows 10 Visual effects are the visual bells and whistles for the appearance of Windows for your account. These visual bells and whistles can affect the performance of...