Windows 10: Hardware change new hard drive

Discus and support Hardware change new hard drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The laptop HP pavilion bought in 2017 I have as my device had a complete hard drive failure last night - the BIOS can't find any drive. I plan on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by AmoretHinkley, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Hardware change new hard drive

The laptop HP pavilion bought in 2017 I have as my device had a complete hard drive failure last night - the BIOS can't find any drive. I plan on replacing the drive, but will my Windows 10 need to be purchased again? Will I need a copy on a disc since I won't be able to download until I have an installed OS.

The laptop was purchased as refurbished so HP isn't an option for help.

:)

AmoretHinkley, Apr 14, 2020
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Problem finding Hard drive

Hi Peter,

Based on the information that you've provided, it seems that your second hard drive is not recognized by your computer. For us to resolve the issue, we suggest that you follow these methods:

Method 1: Run the hardware troubleshooter. Follow the steps below on how-to:

• On Cortana search, type troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting from the list.
    • Click on View all at the left pane.
    • Click on Hardware and Devices to run the troubleshooter.
    • Restart your PC and check if the second hard drive is recognized.

If the issue persists, proceed to method 2.

Method 2: Scan for hardware changes on your PC.

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and then select
      Device Manager
    • Click on Computer to highlight it and then click the
      Action
      tab.
    • Select Scan for Hardware changes option.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

Gerard Qui, Apr 14, 2020
  4. Hardware change new hard drive

Hard Drive not Showing

Hi Lori,

Thank you for posting back.

• How are you connecting the Hard drive to your computer?
    • Have you tried connecting the hard drive to a different computer and check if it works?

It's possible that your USB drivers are corrupt. I suggest you to try the following steps and check.

• Press Windows Key +R and type
      devmgmt.msc
      to open Device manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers
      at the left bottom.
    • Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click on
      Uninstall to remove it.
    • Repeat these steps for the entire USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.

Keep us posted with the status of the issue to assist you further.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

Hardware change new hard drive

1. Hardware change new hard drive - Similar Threads - Hardware change hard

2. Changing boot hard drive for new pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing boot hard drive for new pc: I boot my current system with Windows 10 Pro on a 2.5 SSD. The license is activated with a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account. I want to move to a barebones system so that I can upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for free. This would involve using my existing boot SSD with...
  3. Changing boot hard drive for new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing boot hard drive for new pc: I boot my current system with Windows 10 Pro on a 2.5 SSD. The license is activated with a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account. I want to move to a barebones system so that I can upgrade to Windows 11 Pro for free. This would involve using my existing boot SSD with...
  4. Changing boot hard drive for new pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    new hard drive: I have just installed a new hard drive as the old one was running slow i transferred everything over but it would not move the windows part so cannot start up pc without the old hard drive...
  6. new hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    new hard drive: I have just installed a new hard drive as the old one was running slow i transferred everything over but it would not move the windows part so cannot start up pc without the old hard drive...
  7. Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving hard drive to new upgraded hardware???: I am helping my friend, who’s motherboard has died. What do I have to do to move his hard drive w/ Windows 10 Pro 1909 v18363.815, to a new motherboard & processer? The core is from: Intel i5 4690 to i7 9700 Can I use his current installed windows in new hardware???...
  8. Activation after hardware change Motherboard + hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after hardware change Motherboard + hard drive: Trying to Activate windows 10 after motherboard and hard drive change Kept getting “unable to activate message” after trying several times. So, went into my Microsoft account and found I had 2 computers listed i.e. my old motherboards and my new motherboard so seeing that...
  9. BSOD - Hardware Issue? new Memory or new Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - Hardware Issue? new Memory or new Hard Drive?: Hoping to get some help troubleshooting a BSOD/Shutdown that just occurred. I added two sticks of RAM about 10 days ago to my XPS 8700 and had no problems at all afterward. So yesterday I added a third hard drive and all seemed ok. I was in the process of copying up a...
  10. New Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New Hard Drive: I am looking to replace my current hard drive with a better one, and I am unsure on where to go/what to do on going about to install Windows 10 (Pro, to be exact.) back onto my PC with the new hard drive. Where would I go to download an installer and what would I do? I have a...