Windows 10: Hardware Change Reactivation

Discus and support Hardware Change Reactivation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello All, I know there are multiple threads out there for this already but I think this is different, so if y'all know of a place that has the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JohnGarst, Feb 12, 2019.

1. JohnGarst Win User

Hardware Change Reactivation

Hello All,

I know there are multiple threads out there for this already but I think this is different, so if y'all know of a place that has the answer, then my apologies...

Anyway, I just change out some hardware and when I booted up I got hit with the little watermark in the lower right of the screen that says to activate windows. No drama, went to the troubleshooter and selected the option for changed hardware. That put me at a point that had a grey box with my PC's name, the version, "To be filled by O.E.M.," and a checkbox saying "This is the device I'm using right now." I checked the box and hit activate, and got sent straight to a page that said "Unable to activate windows. we cant reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."

One of the other threads said that Tech support will just reactivate for you if they can see that you have a digital copy tied to your account. I don't know if I just got a jerk employee, but the guy I called said I have to have a product key or other proof of purchase for Windows 7 (I had been part of the upgrade wave from 7 to 10). I haven't had any proof of purchase for years; I've had this computer for nearly ten years now. I asked the guy if he could just check to see that there was a license attached to my microsoft account and he just completely disregarded me and repeated his cute little speech about my needing proof of purchase until I hung up on him.

Did I say something wrong? What do I do? I sure as hell don't want to cough up the money for an activation I already have.

:)

JohnGarst, Feb 12, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 reactivation on hardware changes

Hi Florea,

It is possible that Windows won't be able to identify your computer correctly that is why the operating system is not activated. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 12, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 12, 2019
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Can't activate after hardware change

Hi Sullivan,

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware
    change later, such as replacing the motherboard. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this
    link. The link contains all the necessary information on how to reactive Windows 10 after a hardware
    change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

1. Hardware Change Reactivation - Similar Threads - Hardware Change Reactivation

2. Reactivation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivation after hardware change: Hello. before I changed my pc parts, I linked my device with my microsoft account. Now when I try to use the feature "reactivation after hardware change", it says:"Unable to activate Windows. We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for...
  3. Reactivation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivation after hardware change: Hello. before I changed my pc parts, I linked my device with my microsoft account. Now when I try to use the feature "reactivation after hardware change", it says:"Unable to activate Windows. We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for...
  4. Reactivation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change of hardware reactivation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change of hardware reactivation: Here is my situation -Many moons ago I built my own computer -I installed Windows 8/8.1 on it and activated it with a legitimately purchased retail product key. I no longer have access to this product key. -In the free upgrade period I updated to windows 10 -I have a...
  6. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: I recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM on my computer, and replaced my HDD with an SDD a few weeks earlier. Since the latest change, I see a watermark on my screen telling me to activate windows. When I try the troubleshooter and tell it I upgraded the hardware, it...
  7. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: Hello, I have the 0xC004F213 error when I want to activate my product. I recently build a new PC because my old one died and thats waht I get. I don't have a product key, I've bought that almost 5 years ago and it's just lost. Is there any possibilty to reactivate it?...
  8. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: Hello, I changed hardware(Motherboard and CPU) and want to reactivate windows but it wont work. I do have a retail version and made sure my account was linked to my digital license so as to avoid any issues for reactivation. I tried to contact Microsoft support twice to...
  9. reactivation after hardware change

reactivation after hardware change: I had to basicaly rebuild my pc after it broke so pretty much a new system. I tried reactivating it and went through the troubleshooter but it won't reactivate is ther anything else i coud try?...
  10. Reactivating after a hardware change

Reactivating after a hardware change: just upgraded my motherboard and processer and now I cant reactivate windows jus get the following message error code 0xc004c003 Unable to activate Windows We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. anyone know what I need to do to fix this...