Windows 10: Hardware change, windows10 not active anymore

Discus and support Hardware change, windows10 not active anymore in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi there, I changed my motherboard/cpu today and now my windows isn't activated. My windows 10 key was provided by my university and I am unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MattKempt, Jan 26, 2019.

1. MattKempt Win User

Hardware change, windows10 not active anymore

Hi there,

I changed my motherboard/cpu today and now my windows isn't activated.

My windows 10 key was provided by my university and I am unable to get another code.

My school is linked to Gmail not Microsoft so the windows key isn't linked to a hotmail.

Not sure what to do here, the troubleshooter won't do anything for me.

Any ideas what to do?

:)

MattKempt, Jan 26, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 26, 2019
  3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jan 26, 2019
  4. Sher Amo Win User

Can't activate after hardware change

Hi Sullivan,

In Windows 10 (Version 1607 or later), you can link your Microsoft account to the Windows 10 digital license on your device. This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware
    change later, such as replacing the motherboard. To assist you with your concern, we suggest that you follow the steps provided on this
    link. The link contains all the necessary information on how to reactive Windows 10 after a hardware
    change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Hardware change, windows10 not active anymore - Similar Threads - Hardware change windows10

2. Activation After Hardware change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation After Hardware change.: Hi I downloaded Windows 10 Home some time ago and it activated with a digital licence linked to my account. I decided to upgrade the motherboard but now it won't reactivate ,I'm logged into my account and clicked I changed my hardware selected the device but it won't...
  3. Reactivating Windows10 after hardware change

Reactivating Windows10 after hardware change: My previous motherboard was faulty and completely bricked shortly after I got it. My Win10 Pro key was given to me through a custom PC retailer for me to activate on my system. I activated it with no issue before the motherboard failed. I've installed a new motherboard and...
  4. Activation on hardware change

Activation on hardware change: I have recently changed my motherboard and other parts I need to change the product code to the new device I have done this once before but that involved ringing Microsoft which overall was an awful experience is there any way I can do it in my settings...
  5. Activation when changing hardware

Activation when changing hardware: My PC is running Windows 10 Pro, which was acquired via a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. I don't recall whether that version was OEM or Retail, as I got it something like 11 years ago through my university at the time. It involved going on to a microsoft store, adding a...
  6. hardware change and activation

hardware change and activation: my pc running windows 10 was sent in twice to the manufacturer for motherboard issues while under warranty. now that the warranty period is over, i would like to swap out the motherboard all together. i would like to know if there will be a problem with automatic activation...
  7. Hardware changes and windows activation

Hardware changes and windows activation: I recently changed a lot of hardware to my computer including the motherboard. There is a watermark in the lower right hand corner saying to Activate Windows. So I went to the activation in settings and used the trouble shooter. I clicked the link on the troubleshooter that...
  8. Reinstalling Windows10 after hardware change

Reinstalling Windows10 after hardware change: Hi, I have a laptop that had Windows 10 before I needed to change the faulty drive. The drive got changed by the repairer but the could only install Windows 7 (that was originally came with the laptop when I bought it). How do I upgrade to Windows 10 without buying a new...
  9. Activation after Hardware Changes.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activation after Hardware Changes.: I've recently rebuilt my PC with completely new Mobo, CPU and RAM. However, my HDD is the same and I've just plugged it in straight from my old PC, without using any sort of transfer utility. Windows is now telling me it is not activated , and when I click on "recent hardware...
  10. Hardware changes and activation

Hardware changes and activation: In my experience over many years of monkeying about with pc hardware, I have never had problems activating genuine copies of Windows. Changing cpu's, hdd's ram and graphics cards have never bothered Microsoft. Back in the XP days, I also changed motherboards with OEM software...