Windows 10: Hardware changed but activation not transferred - 0xC004F211

Discus and support Hardware changed but activation not transferred - 0xC004F211 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've just changed most of my hardware today. It now says that Windows is not activated. I don't have a product key, rather it's connected to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Anselan, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Anselan Win User

Hardware changed but activation not transferred - 0xC004F211

I've just changed most of my hardware today. It now says that Windows is not activated. I don't have a product key, rather it's connected to my Microsoft account. I have had a change a few months ago I reinstalled and upgraded from x86 to x64 with some minor hardware changes and the activation was okay. However this time it's giving me this error.

The kicker - in the course of my checking, I deleted my old device from my account thinking that I don't have need of the old device and that this might've been the cause of the error due to having the same name, so now when I try to go through the troubleshooting it says that no devices linked to my Microsoft account can be used for reactivating the device I'm using right now... though in all fairness I've gone through the troubleshooting steps before deletion and it still points to me needing to contact a 1800 number.

When I go to my Microsoft account, it lists this device with the new motherboard and says that "No issues found". As far as I remember, I didn't have an OEM version. I don't recall upgrading from Windows 7/8. I have no trouble updating via Windows Update. Help?

P.S. I'm located in the Philippines, hence I couldn't call the 1800 number given by the chat.

:)

Anselan, Mar 7, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 7, 2020
  3. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Mar 7, 2020
  4. Hardware changed but activation not transferred - 0xC004F211

Win10 Home Activation Error 0xC004F211 after Motherboard Change

I'm sorry for using a template to answer your question, i thought it answers all your question regarding your recent hardware change.

First of all, yes i do understand that you replaced your motherboard with a new MSI and AMD CPU and you are using a digital license.

As mentioned in support.microsoft website, when you did a major hardware change on your computer your Windows 10 will no longer be activated since the digital license is associated to the device hardware of your computer.

Since you confirmed that you have a digital license, the question is it linked to your Microsoft account?

A. If its not linked but you still have a way to use the old motherboard and CPU, i suggest to use your old parts and link your digital license with your Microsoft account first. Once it linked then go ahead and use the new parts and proceed with the activation
    troubleshooter.

B. If it is linked to your Microsoft account then go ahead and try to reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter. Please follow the instructions below:

1. Sign in as an administrator

2. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & Security > Activation > Troubleshoot . The troubleshooter will show Windows can’t be activated on your device.

3. Select I changed hardware on this device recently, then select Next.

4. Enter your connected Microsoft account and password, then select Sign in. Again, the troubleshooter will only work with the connected Microsoft account.

5. From the list of devices that are linked to your Microsoft account, select the check box next to This is the device I’m using right now.

6. Select Activate.

If you don’t see the device you’re using in the list of results, make sure that you signed in using the same Microsoft account you associated with the Windows 10 digital license on your device.

If you're still getting the error 0xC004F211 or other errors related to the activation, Please refer to the link below:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10738/...

Now for your concern in calling the toll free number, i apologize but i honestly cannot give any details on that since i'm not part of their team.

Lastly, if you're still having issues and want further assistance or opinion from Microsoft then i can reroute your concern.

I hope this clears everything up. Let us know how it goes. Thank you

Reinald T., Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

Hardware changed but activation not transferred - 0xC004F211

1. Hardware changed but activation not transferred - 0xC004F211 - Similar Threads - Hardware changed activation

2. 0xC004F211 without hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    0xC004F211 without hardware change: I changed my graphics card and re install Windows. I associate my MS account since I know it is required and I can use it to maintain the activation of my Windows however it didn't happen I got this annoying error. Only graphics card change and not the board....
  3. 0xC004F211 without hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0xC004F211 without hardware change: I changed my graphics card and re install Windows. I associate my MS account since I know it is required and I can use it to maintain the activation of my Windows however it didn't happen I got this annoying error. Only graphics card change and not the board....
  4. 0xC004F211 without hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. 0xC004F211 without hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0xC004F211 without hardware change: The only thing that has changed in my pc recently was my graphics card, I had upgraded from a GTX 1650 to a RTX 3060 and now my Windows is not activated. I have Windows 10 Home. I need help....
  6. 0xC004F211 without hardware change

0xC004F211 without hardware change: The only thing that has changed in my pc recently was my graphics card, I had upgraded from a GTX 1650 to a RTX 3060 and now my Windows is not activated. I have Windows 10 Home. I need help....
  7. 0xC004F211 without hardware change

8. Windows 10 Pro Activation - Hardware Change 0xC004F211

Windows 10 Pro Activation - Hardware Change 0xC004F211: Error 0xC004F211, tried multiple methods and I'm unable to retrieve the key from my windows copy now that the activation is unavailable. Anyone knows some software to retrieve the key without powershell empty read-out and ProduKey. Really been trying to avoid the linux live...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Activation - Hardware Change 0xC004F211

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro Activation - Hardware Change 0xC004F211: Error 0xC004F211, tried multiple methods and I'm unable to retrieve the key from my windows copy now that the activation is unavailable. Anyone knows some software to retrieve the key without powershell empty read-out and ProduKey. Really been trying to avoid the linux live...
  10. Windows 10 Pro Activation - Hardware Change 0xC004F211

Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. fix windows activation error 0xc004f211