Windows 10: Hardware Issues With Old Computer

Discus and support Hardware Issues With Old Computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. I'm not expecting any definite answers, here, but I'm hoping for a few ideas. I decided to try to install Win10 on an old desktop. It is barely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Matt316, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Matt316 Win User

Hardware Issues With Old Computer

Hi.

I'm not expecting any definite answers, here, but I'm hoping for a few ideas. I decided to try to install Win10 on an old desktop. It is barely minimum spec (896MB RAM - not sure why this isn't 1GB - another issue?). However, this isn't the issue. I can get virtually none of the installation discs or USBs to work in it. An old Linux lite, WinXP, and Hirens Recovery, all on both CD and USB work fine, but nothing else. None of them even register as a system/bootup disc. I've had trouble installing OSs before, but they all boot up (x86/64 dependent) even if they cannot install the actual OS due to limitations. This one seems to have a problem with the bootup of some - even some OSs that I know should load, like older versions of Ubuntu. I originally though that it might be the CD drive, but any that work or don't work on a CD are the same on the USB.

Basic specs for it are:
    AMD Sempron 3000+ (32bit) 1.6GHz
    896 MB RAM

Matt

:)

Matt316, Oct 9, 2020
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Oct 9, 2020
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Hardware Issues With Old Computer [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Oct 9, 2020
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Multiple BSOD hardware issue or driver issue ?

Hi Iriszer0,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

To have a better clarity on the issue and guide you accordingly, respond to the question listed below.

1. What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to try the steps listed in
    troubleshoot blue screen errors
    and check if it works.

Meanwhile you may also go through:

1. troubleshoot CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION
    2. troubleshoot CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
    3. troubleshoot SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Regards,

Junaid_A, Oct 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Hardware Issues With Old Computer - Similar Threads - Hardware Issues Old

2. Issues with Microsoft account on old computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Microsoft account on old computer: Hello, My son has had a windows 8 laptop for several years. A month ago his password came up invalid. We successfully changed the password on the ms live website, set up a new laptop with his credentials, and when the password still didn’t work on the windows 8 laptop, I...
  3. Issues with Microsoft account on old computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with Microsoft account on old computer: Hello, My son has had a windows 8 laptop for several years. A month ago his password came up invalid. We successfully changed the password on the ms live website, set up a new laptop with his credentials, and when the password still didn’t work on the windows 8 laptop, I...
  4. Big Performance issue of Windows 10 on my old hardware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Big Performance issue of Windows 10 on my old hardware: Hello Microsoft,I am a very old windows user and currently i am using all windows 7 , 10 and 11 kn different machines.I want to upgrade The pc 10-12 years old with Windows 7 which i installed 6 months earlier instead of windows 10.I had first upgraded my pc from windows 7 to...
  5. Big Performance issue of Windows 10 on my old hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Big Performance issue of Windows 10 on my old hardware: Hello Microsoft,I am a very old windows user and currently i am using all windows 7 , 10 and 11 kn different machines.I want to upgrade The pc 10-12 years old with Windows 7 which i installed 6 months earlier instead of windows 10.I had first upgraded my pc from windows 7 to...
  6. Testing computer for hardware issues?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Testing computer for hardware issues?: I recently ran into an issue where I was unable to boot up Windows on my Dell desktop:- Upon booting, blue screen with white horizontal broken lines- System attempts to reboot- Black screen with windows symbol --> Preparing Automatic repair…...
  7. Hardware Issues With Old Computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware Issues With Old Computer: Hi. I'm not expecting any definite answers, here, but I'm hoping for a few ideas. I decided to try to install Win10 on an old desktop. It is barely minimum spec (896MB RAM - not sure why this isn't 1GB - another issue?). However, this isn't the issue. I can get virtually...
  8. Old computer for someone in need NO hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Old computer for someone in need NO hardware change: Hi all, I'm trying to get someone on low income up to speed with a legit copy of 10. His old laptop started with Vista OEM + free 7 upgrade presuming also OEM. NO HARDWARE CHANGE HAPPENED. Upgraded to 10 for free but did not connect MS account. Then switched to Linux....
  9. old hardware licence

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    old hardware licence: Ok so a bit of background before my question... I had purchased a laptop for my daughter a few years back with windows 7 on it, when the offer to upgrade to 10 for free came up I did so. Jump ahead to this past August I bought her a new laptop with windows 10 preinstalled. My...
  10. A COMPUTER HARDWARE ISSUE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A COMPUTER HARDWARE ISSUE: THERE'S A PROBLEM IN MY LAPTOP THAT HIS DVD DOESN'T PLAY MOVIES I HAVE WINDOWS 10 AND I TRIED TO UPDATE THE DVD AND TRY TO PUT OTHER MOVIES BUT IT DIDN'T HELP WHAT'S THE solution FOR THAT ?...