Windows 10: Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked

Discus and support Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys, I have the seemingly common Hardware Reserved Memory issue, wherein I have 32GB (4x8) of RAM installed, but the system is reserving 8.1gb.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xiaoaoshendiao, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked

Hey guys,

I have the seemingly common Hardware Reserved Memory issue, wherein I have 32GB (4x8) of RAM installed, but the system is reserving 8.1gb.

Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked [​IMG]

System specs:
    Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit
    Motherboard: MSI x399 Pro Carbon, CPU is Threadripper 1950x
    RAM: G Skill Trident Z 32GB (4 x 8), F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR

I've tried some of the common fixes for this issue, such as forcing a pagefile dump at shutdown, making sure the maximum memory option is unchecked in the Boot tab of msconfig, and making sure the RAM is installed into the proper channels as indicated by the motherboard manual. BIOS is latest version.

I will note that I have been unable to find any settings on my mobo BIOS that is/is not allocating memory, memory remapping, allocation to my GPU, etc., nor could I find anything to that effect in the manual of the motherboard. I'm not sure how relevant this is but some online posts have shown this could be an issue. Going into Device Manager and sorting by memory resource usage does show my GPU at the top of the list:

CPU-Z shows all four slots with identical settings:

Going into BIOS shows this; all four sticks are detected, but only 3 are usable/included in the DRAM.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

:)

xiaoaoshendiao, Sep 4, 2017

2. Windows 10 long boot/black screen/2 display drivers

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. I just fixed this issue by disabling 'EnableULPS' in regedit, as described here:

How to Disable ULPS on AMD Crossfire Setups - Graphics Cards

It now boots with no issues. If this is the cause for most people I hope you can fix it or publicise this fix as many people seem to have the same issue with AMD and switchable graphics.

I've also since noticed that my system reports 5.6GB of 'hardware reserved' memory. Could this be connected to the graphics card issue? I'm on a 64bit system with 8GB ram, currently only 2.4GB useable meaning I'm always running at ~90%. If you think this
    is unconnected I can make a new question for this.

Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: The 'hardware reserved memory' issue was solved by unchecking 'maximum memory' in msconfig->boot->advanced options. I'm not sure if it was connected to the ULPS registry fix for the slow boot so I'll leave it here.

TomDodington, Sep 4, 2017
  3. 5.9 GB of 8 GB is listed as hardware reserved!?

My RAM is mem tested and all good. Running Windows 10. 5.9GB is listed as unusable, hardware reserved!!! How do I get it back? Should I want to? My system runs great; no errors. Still, I assume that 5.9 out of 8 GB is excessive.

note: the common "fix" to clear max mem box in msconfig does not work! Tried it. My bios has no memory configuration settings. Where did my RAM go? Anyone, please, have a solution that does work?

Eric Faust, Sep 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked

dalchina, Sep 5, 2017
  5. Yes, I have tried all of the common proposed fixes, none of them seem to have worked.

I am using Win10 Enterprise, which should not have the 16 GB limitation (and my system currently works with 24 out of the installed 32GB). The motherboard/OS/CPU-Z/etc. recognizes all 32 GB installed but only 24GB are listed as usable.
    Maximum memory is unchecked.
    The motherboard does not have a memory remapping feature as far as I can tell, it's likely just enabled by default. There is no iGPU to disable since it's an AMD Ryzen (Threadripper) chip, so there is no integrated graphics.

xiaoaoshendiao, Sep 5, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Has it ever worked with 32Gb or have you recently added RAM?

dalchina, Sep 5, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    I have a year-old Desktop that came with a single 8GB module [single-channel], later on I upgraded to 16 GB [2 x 8GB] and changed the BIOS to dual-channel memory, works good. My Hardware Reserved is showing 84.7MB.

Berton, Sep 6, 2017
  8. Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked

This is a fresh build, all four RAM sticks were added together.

xiaoaoshendiao, Sep 6, 2017
  9. Giving this a bump, any insight appreciated.

xiaoaoshendiao, Sep 9, 2017
  10. AddRAM Win User
    You don`t say anything about a video card, the hardware reserved is for video.

You need to buy a video card.

AddRAM, Sep 9, 2017
  11. A screenshot on his post says he's got GTX 1080 Ti

RoasterMen, Sep 9, 2017
  12. clam1952 Win User
    Looking at the bios screenshot which is only showing 24576MB as useable I would suggest either a motherboard or ram stick problem, maybe try the A1 A2 B1 B2 combination and see what happens? As its clearly showing a problem in the bios looking at a Windows fix isn't going to achieve a lot.
    Reset bios to default settings? Ryzen boards seem to be a bit problematic regarding memory speeds.
    Could also remove each module in turn and find out which module or slot is causing the problem which would be the one that doesn't decrease the usable memory in the bios when removed.

clam1952, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked

1. Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked - Similar Threads - Hardware Reserved Memory

2. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello,am having a problem with my memory in the last 3 days.As you can see here my hardware reserved memory is 8.1gb ,i have tryed reseting my bios,removing my cmos battery and putting it back again,unchecked maximum memory in msconfig ,set no paging file on system memory in...
  3. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello,am having a problem with my memory in the last 3 days.As you can see here my hardware reserved memory is 8.1gb ,i have tryed reseting my bios,removing my cmos battery and putting it back again,unchecked maximum memory in msconfig ,set no paging file on system memory in...
  4. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware reserved memory: Hi - my 8GB of ram has been reduced down to 6GB because 2GB of it is hardware reserved. I've tried swapping the sticks around 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4-2666, I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, and even looked at the maximum memory option in msconfig. Both sticks of memory are...
  5. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware reserved memory: Hi - my 8GB of ram has been reduced down to 6GB because 2GB of it is hardware reserved. I've tried swapping the sticks around 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4-2666, I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, and even looked at the maximum memory option in msconfig. Both sticks of memory are...
  6. Hardware reserved memory!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware reserved memory!: First I need o say that I use windows 10 Pro 64-bit, I have Ryzen 5 3500U and 8GB ramAsus ZenBook, UX431DA! I said all that information because I tried to do all from Flash my BIOS, Edit somethind in regedit or msconfig, and runned maintenance task! I have 8 gb ram 2x4 and...
  7. Hardware reserve memory

Hardware reserve memory: I am using a Ryzen 5 3500u processor with Windows 10 As per the specification RAM 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM onboard for Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD I see 2.1 GB as memory reserve for Hardware. the manufacturer HP says this how the product has been manufactured. But...
  8. Hardware Reserved Memory

Hardware Reserved Memory: Hello everyone, my computer specs are as follows: AMD FX 8350 CPU ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard AMD Radeon R200 270X Gskill 2x8gb 1600hz RAM I have 64 bit Windows 10 pro OS I have the problem that makes half of my RAM 4.1 GB to be exact hardware reserved and cannot be...
  9. "hardware reserved" memory.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "hardware reserved" memory.: Recently booted up my pc after a bios reset (computer blue screened) and I noticed a lack in performance compare to my computer's normal speed. Looked in task manager and it is classing 8gb of my 16 that's installed as "hardware reserved". I'd like to know why this is, what I...
  10. Hardware reserved memory issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware reserved memory issue: Hey guys. I have an evga p55sli motherboard and a gtx460 graphics card. I have 8gb of memory installed but in win10 and the bios it only shows 4gb usable. When going into the bios it shows 4096 mb available, and in win10 it shows 4gb usable and 4gb hardware reserved. I tried...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nothing fixes hardware reserved memory