Windows 10: Hardware Reserved Memory issue: need help with my BIOS maybe?!

Discus and support Hardware Reserved Memory issue: need help with my BIOS maybe?! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So here's the thing, I'm going to start saying that I'm reading has hours thru loads of forums. I sure this one is the most detailed and organized one.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eckimz, Feb 7, 2018.

1. eckimz Win User

Hardware Reserved Memory issue: need help with my BIOS maybe?!

So here's the thing, I'm going to start saying that I'm reading has hours thru loads of forums. I sure this one is the most detailed and organized one.

Next, I'll put my computer setup first:
    Processor: amd fx 8150 3,6ghz
    Memory: x2 4gb ddr3
    Graphic card: GTX 1060 exoc white 6gb
    Motherboard: N68-GS4 FX

Hardware Reserved Memory issue: need help with my BIOS maybe?! [​IMG]

[YOU CAN SKIP TO THIRD PROBLEM IF YOU DON'T WANNA KNOW *Roflmao2]
    Second, well, the STORY!
    My graphic card fried and I bought new one, so I started up new, reboot windows and stuff.
    SO FINALLY GOT A GTX 1060 I know it's been hard to find graphic cards in USA, Europe (2018) due crypto mining, I actually had to import one, couldn't find any available in my country (Brazil). LOL

Third, the PROBLEM!
    So, it's pretty much the thread title, I have 4gb being used for hardware reserved memory, I basically can't play nothing, it hurts to open youtube and some tabs on browser *Huh
    I noticed my memory is on Single-Channel Memory Mode. I do not know how to change it.

Fourth, the trying to fix.
    Yes sir, I've read a lot of these problems here, on youtube, on other forums, I'm not pro on it, so take easy with me, please! *Redface
    Here are the things and links of stuff I've read and tried (more than once).
    Hardware Reserved Memory issue, common fixes don't seem to have worked
    Hardware Reserved Memory 5.5GB
    Hardware reserved memory issue
    Installed RAM 16GB (7.18 usable)
    8GB (3.9GB Usable), Windows 10 x64 Bit

Little resume: I tried to use setting on regedit (some values, I undo and reboot it after not working), msconfig (marked, unmarked, all the same, nothing changes), btw I installed windows x4, just for sure it was not corrupt windows .iso, so I tried x3 pro x64 bit and now I'm running Enterpriser, not planning on installing windows again so soon *Think. Yes, I tried let windows use my virtual memory config, was already marked, I also tried to set it, also did not work. I did update the bios. All drivers updated. Tried sfc /scannow, all good too.

And finally, what do I think overviewing all of it.
    The only thing I did not understood how to do it was the test about: iGPU might be using memory ram, cause probably was used at the computer shop when were looking my old graphic card. (I do not wanna go back and stay without my computer another day!!! Rather stay like this for a while, ffs, been long time without it, netflix working good hahaha).
    So what I looked into my BIOS was to set my PCIe as primary instead of the iGPU. But I do not understand much of whatelse there is left to do. I can just cry about this BIOS, seems like there is nothing *cry I took photos of related to memory ram and graphic card. (I reseted the BIOS and I didn't tried OC ever).

Reminder: the only different thing in this computer is the GPU, the rest was working fine before, I have this same memory sticks for a while.

Physical tests!!!
    Oh yes, almost forgot. I tested my memory sticks, they're working. I tried each at the first slot. I read somewhere that if I put at the second slot, might not work and indeed, both my memory sticks didn't work on the second slot of my motherboard. But they both worked each alone. This motherboard has 4 months. My computer is clean, no dust, the computer fixer did that. Yes, my motherboard has only 2 slots for memory cards, budget motherboard *Huh
    Tbh, was the only one I could find on demand for amd3+, wasn't feeling waiting 12 days to shipment haha

Here are some photos of my BIOS.

So, what do you think I could do to fix? *Sad Halpppp

:)

eckimz, Feb 7, 2018

2. how to fix hardware reserved ram 1.1gb

Hi John,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you would like to uncheck/change the hardware reserved memory size.

I would like to let you know that Hardware reserved memory is reserved for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals. I would suggest you to not make any changes to this. This will help the computer run smoothly.

If you are facing any problem with the hardware reserved memory, please post back with the issue. We’ll be glad to check and help you accordingly.

Thank you.

Azaruddin Syed, Feb 7, 2018
  3. How to reduce Hardware Reserved Memory in Windows 10 Pro

Hi Lmo,

You cannot release or use full of hardware reserved memory. The amount of usable memory in the examples are not exact amounts. Usable memory is a calculated amount of the total physical memory minus "hardware reserved" memory. Memory that is reserved
    for use by the BIOS and some drivers for other peripherals. The reduction in available system memory depends on the configuration of the following:

• The devices that are installed in the computer and the memory that is reserved by those devices.

• The ability of the motherboard to handle memory.

• The System BIOS version and settings.
    You can also go to the below article and see more information.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978610

Hope this information is helpful for you.
    If you need further assistance on Windows, let us know we will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Billion Debbarma, Feb 7, 2018
  4. Hardware Reserved Memory issue: need help with my BIOS maybe?!

Hi eckimz. Welcome to the TenForums @eckimz

I won't say I'm an expert but here is what I would do.

You're memory does not look matched in any sense. I assume it was bought at different times. I would identify the two closest matching sticks and I would install them in the slots identified by vendor to be used when you have two sticks. I would also go into BIOS and load the defaults, save and exit. Know what you changed prior to loading defaults. Re-enter BIOS and reset your graphics card to be Primary.

Test.

See if Windows recognizes all the memory and how much is being reserved.

Others may other ideas.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Feb 7, 2018
  5. eckimz Win User
    Thank you Ken!

Is ok, no need to be expert, I`ve been constanly refreshing this page, any help, tip, anything is welcome, I really tried so many things, something has to work. I`ve used this memory sticks for 4-5 years and I`ve been using without problems until the change of my GPU.

Im already thinking the guy changed my memory cards, although I take my PC to same place has more than 10 years, I don`t like to think he`d do that xD

And no, they were bought together o.o they different? I guess i`ve been scammed?!

eckimz, Feb 7, 2018
  6. Okay. Well they are all reporting different. Are they running at right voltage?

Try the BIOS reload defaults. Everything seems to be only seeing 8GB.

Caledon Ken, Feb 8, 2018
  7. I agree that you should try loading the BIOS defaults.

Can you post a screenshot of CPU-Z showing the 2nd slot SPD information?

Have you tried running MemTest86? How much memory does it show?

PolarNettles, Feb 8, 2018
  8. eckimz Win User

Well Ken, is 1.50v high? I'm not sure. xD

Hi Polar, I will search this memtest86, I've looked quickly but I'm afraid I don't have enough time to do it right now.
    But here's the SPD of 2nd slot.

eckimz, Feb 8, 2018
  9. eckimz Win User
    it's going on... But it has both my memory cards on pc on this test shows only 4gb? After I will test with one stick at the time

eckimz, Feb 8, 2018
  10. eckimz Win User
    And ye, I have done load defaults and stuff, I did that b4 changing to pcie and shit, just done so many things, forgot to say it. But well, I did it again cuz I forgot I had done it xD still not working QQ

eckimz, Feb 8, 2018
  11. I'm not an AMD user so I don't know if its true that you're not allowed to boot with only 1 DIMM in the 2nd channel but I I know that's not true with Intel. So I would check to make sure the slot for that channel is clean.

Can you run RWEverything Write Everything and save (press F2 or click the single floppy disk icon) the information from
    • Access->SMBIOS Structures
    • Access->PCI, Bus 00, Device 00, Function 00
    • Access->E820 Report (this may give an error message depending on whether you booted with UEFI or not)

PolarNettles, Feb 8, 2018
  12. eckimz Win User
    Hey sorry for not replying back, I did not fix it, just have been on a holiday *Smile

Here are the files you asked for me to save. MEGA

(did not find support to attach in forum)

eckimz, Feb 13, 2018
  13. eckimz Win User

This memory ram was working on this motherboard for the past 4 months!!!!! This memory was bought in 2013. *Sad

Memtest86 all good too, no errors, I did with each memory card and with both together! 3h testing, no errors. But it doesn't show 8gb ram when I test them together

eckimz, Feb 13, 2018
  14. Hi,
    All I noticed is your in single channel memory mode on dual channel memory
    Might be because your using the wrong slots
    Typical for 2 sticks is slot 1 and 3 but refer to your mother board manual.

ThrashZone, Feb 13, 2018
  15. The board only has 2 slots.

The SMBios table does indicate BIOS is seeing both 4GB devices but for some reason is only mapping 4864MB. From looking at my machines I believe Memory Array Mapped Address should only include physical memory (i.e. no remapped/reclaimed memory) so I have no idea where that 4864 number is coming from. Unfortunately there are no errors reported.

It is also only seeing one channel - are you sure that you had 2 channel mode previously?

Code: [Physical Memory Array] (Type 16) 10 0F 0C 00 03 03 03 00 00 80 00 FE FF 02 00 00 ................ 00 . Type 0x10 (16) Length 0x0F (15) Handle 0x000C (12) Location 0x03 - System board or motherboard Use 0x03 - System memory Memory Error Correction 0x03 - None Maximum Capacity 0x00800000 - 8388608KB, 8192MB, 8.00GB Memory Error Handle 0xFFFE Number of Memory Devices 0x0002 (2) [Memory Array Mapped Address] (Type 19) 13 0F 0D 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF 4B 00 0C 00 01 00 ..........K..... 00 . Type 0x13 (19) Length 0x0F (15) Handle 0x000D (13) Starting Address 0x00000000 Ending Address 0x004BFFFF - 4980735KB, 4864MB, 4.75GB Memory Array Handle 0x000C (12) Partition Width 0x01 (1) [Memory Device Mapped Address] (Type 20) 14 13 0F 00 00 00 00 00 FF FF 3F 00 0E 00 0D 00 ..........?..... 01 00 00 00 00 ..... Type 0x14 (20) Length 0x13 (19) Handle 0x000F (15) Starting Address 0x00000000 Ending Address 0x003FFFFF - 4194303KB, 4096MB, 4.00GB Memory Device Handle 0x000E (14) Array Mapped Addrress Handle 0x000D (13) Partition Row Position 0x01 (1) InterLeave Position 0x00 (0) Interleaved Data Depth 0x00 (0) [Memory Device Mapped Address] (Type 20) 14 13 11 00 00 00 40 00 FF FF 7F 00 10 00 0D 00 ......@......... 01 00 00 00 00 ..... Type 0x14 (20) Length 0x13 (19) Handle 0x0011 (17) Starting Address 0x00400000 - 4194304KB, 4096MB, 4.00GB Ending Address 0x007FFFFF - 8388607KB, 8192MB, 8.00GB Memory Device Handle 0x0010 (16) Array Mapped Addrress Handle 0x000D (13) Partition Row Position 0x01 (1) InterLeave Position 0x00 (0) Interleaved Data Depth 0x00 (0)[/quote]

PolarNettles, Feb 13, 2018
Thema:

1. Hardware Reserved Memory issue: need help with my BIOS maybe?! - Similar Threads - Hardware Reserved Memory

2. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello,am having a problem with my memory in the last 3 days.As you can see here my hardware reserved memory is 8.1gb ,i have tryed reseting my bios,removing my cmos battery and putting it back again,unchecked maximum memory in msconfig ,set no paging file on system memory in...
  3. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware reserved memory: Hello,am having a problem with my memory in the last 3 days.As you can see here my hardware reserved memory is 8.1gb ,i have tryed reseting my bios,removing my cmos battery and putting it back again,unchecked maximum memory in msconfig ,set no paging file on system memory in...
  4. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware reserved memory: Hi - my 8GB of ram has been reduced down to 6GB because 2GB of it is hardware reserved. I've tried swapping the sticks around 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4-2666, I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, and even looked at the maximum memory option in msconfig. Both sticks of memory are...
  5. Hardware reserved memory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware reserved memory: Hi - my 8GB of ram has been reduced down to 6GB because 2GB of it is hardware reserved. I've tried swapping the sticks around 2 sticks of 4GB DDR4-2666, I've tried Windows Memory Diagnostics, and even looked at the maximum memory option in msconfig. Both sticks of memory are...
  6. Hardware reserved memory!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hardware reserved memory!: First I need o say that I use windows 10 Pro 64-bit, I have Ryzen 5 3500U and 8GB ramAsus ZenBook, UX431DA! I said all that information because I tried to do all from Flash my BIOS, Edit somethind in regedit or msconfig, and runned maintenance task! I have 8 gb ram 2x4 and...
  7. Hardware reserve memory

Hardware reserve memory: I am using a Ryzen 5 3500u processor with Windows 10 As per the specification RAM 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM onboard for Hard Drive: 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD I see 2.1 GB as memory reserve for Hardware. the manufacturer HP says this how the product has been manufactured. But...
  8. Hardware Reserved Memory

Hardware Reserved Memory: Hello everyone, my computer specs are as follows: AMD FX 8350 CPU ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard AMD Radeon R200 270X Gskill 2x8gb 1600hz RAM I have 64 bit Windows 10 pro OS I have the problem that makes half of my RAM 4.1 GB to be exact hardware reserved and cannot be...
  9. "hardware reserved" memory.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "hardware reserved" memory.: Recently booted up my pc after a bios reset (computer blue screened) and I noticed a lack in performance compare to my computer's normal speed. Looked in task manager and it is classing 8gb of my 16 that's installed as "hardware reserved". I'd like to know why this is, what I...
  10. Hardware reserved memory issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardware reserved memory issue: Hey guys. I have an evga p55sli motherboard and a gtx460 graphics card. I have 8gb of memory installed but in win10 and the bios it only shows 4gb usable. When going into the bios it shows 4096 mb available, and in win10 it shows 4gb usable and 4gb hardware reserved. I tried...