Windows 10: Hardware swap windows key confusion.

Discus and support Hardware swap windows key confusion. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm using an HP 15-r011dx laptop and want to upgrade HDD to SSD so I'm confused that do I have to buy new windows or it'll take the key automatically.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/hotflaminpanda, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Hardware swap windows key confusion.

I'm using an HP 15-r011dx laptop and want to upgrade HDD to SSD so I'm confused that do I have to buy new windows or it'll take the key automatically. If it takes automatically how does it work? Do I download windows from the official website and install it from the particular size of Pendrive.

submitted by /u/hotflaminpanda
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/hotflaminpanda, Dec 21, 2020

2. keyboard keys are swapped

Hi Brian,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are experiencing. I will definitely assist you.

Based on the description, this issue may occur due to the keyboard driver is outdated. Let’s try simple troubleshooting methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1.

I would suggest you to run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard and select Control Panel.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar on the Control Panel.

• Click on Hardware and sound under Troubleshoot computer problems.

• Click on Hardware and devices under Devices.

• Click on Advanced on the Hardware and devices dialog box and click on Run as administrator (Enter the credentials if required).

• Click on Next and follow onscreen instruction complete the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    If the issue still persist try the below method steps.

Method 2.

I would recommend you to update the keyboard driver manually from device manager and let us know the status.

• Press Windows Key + X and click on
      Device Manager

• Locate for the Keyboard and expand it.

• Right click on the keyboard and click on
      updates.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Dec 21, 2020
  3. How do I swap the Windows and Control keys in Windows?

SharpKeys

SharpKeys is a utility that manages a Registry key that allows Windows to remap one key to any other key.

Apply Key Swap

Swap the Ctrland Alt keys through a two step process. Using SharpKeys, map:

1. Left Alt (00_38) to Left Ctrl (00_1D)
    2. Left Ctrl (00_1D) to Left Alt (00_38)

Presumably you can do similar things to a right Alt and a right Ctrl.

Note: the documentation for the utility provides the following caveat:

What this means I do not know so be careful. Any time you modify the registry things can go wrong. In this case, the author of the utility suggests that it's not possible to do what I just did so it could be that I'm misinterpreting what he wrote, he was wrong, it is possible to do this but only for Ctrl and Alt, or I just messed up my computer.

I successfully applied the two step remapping to Windows 10 as of 2017/04/21.

Remove Key Swap

By choosing Delete All and following that up with Write to Registry in SharpKeys I was able to delete the registry key that SharpKeys created in the first place. You could also manually delete the relevant registry key using regedit.

Background

How to Disable Caps Lock Key in Windows 7, 8, 10, or Vista provides a nice explanation of the registry key that SharpKeys modifies (creates?). I've posted my registry key FYI.

After SharpKeys ran, my registry key:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout\Scancode Map

Contained:

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    03 00 00 00 1D 00 38 00
    38 00 1D 00 00 00 00 00

A separate SuperUser question provides a bit of extra context: How to remap Right-Win and Right-Alt keyboard keys and Mehper C. Palavuzlar's answer to this question pointed me in the right direction. Rather than edit his question, I thought it more appropriate to post my answer as a separate answer.

Editorial comment

It does feel nice to be able to do cut, copy and paste with the thumb and Alt rather than the awkward pinky reach required with the Ctrl key in Windows. But, even though I grew up a Mac user (25 years) and would dearly love to be able to use my thumb (a natural position) to activate short cuts in Windows, I think it'll be too confusing to do a whole-sale swap of Ctrl and Alt for me. For example, Command/Alt-Tab are in the same spot so remapping Alt-Tab to Ctrl-Tab just won't work. Too bad that Apple made the right decision (thumb-based short cuts) and Microsoft went with the not-so-logical "industry standard" of its day. But, I guess "industry standard" is how we ended up typing with QWERTY and all its inglorious variants in the first place.

PS Windows still has three command keys?! Apple's solution of one modifier key for special letters and one for short cuts was a sensible design choice and allowed for easy access to less common (in English) but still important symbols and diacrits (e.g. °, ´, ¸, ˆ, ¨). In Windows you've got Ctrl, Alt and Windows all doing essentially the same thing and, I find that the vast majority of users rarely, if ever use the Alt or Windows shortcuts. Plus Alt gets especially confusing since it's sometimes a method to enter non-standard characters with the keypad or with AltGr but it's also a short-cut modifier at times). But, I digress... I've inspired myself to search for or ask an actual question.

user2021355, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Hardware swap windows key confusion.

" and @ keys are swapped

I have swapped and changed my language to both UK and US English and nothing seems to work

I have downloaded the updated language pack as well

I even removed the US input keyboard and I still have this problem

I have done everything that Deepika Gowda has suggested in this previous forum and it's not working!

The @ key swapped with "

It's driving me insane!

Please help

Darren Davids, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

Hardware swap windows key confusion.

1. Hardware swap windows key confusion. - Similar Threads - Hardware swap key

2. windows keys swapped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows keys swapped: I was struggling with this on and off and finally found this relevant thread, but it's locked: Keyboard keys swapped - Microsoft CommunityLike this user, I was running into something like "a" is now "q", and "q" is now "a"; "m" is now "," and ";" is now "m"; "z" is now "w"...
  3. windows keys swapped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows keys swapped: I was struggling with this on and off and finally found this relevant thread, but it's locked: Keyboard keys swapped - Microsoft CommunityLike this user, I was running into something like "a" is now "q", and "q" is now "a"; "m" is now "," and ";" is now "m"; "z" is now "w"...
  4. windows keys swapped

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows activation after hardware swap

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation after hardware swap: Switched out my motherboard. Windows claims that it isn't activated anymore. My windows key is tied to my account, which happens to be the only account on the system. Troubleshoot activation says I'm not connected to the internet. Turned off firewall to no success, then...
  6. Swap windows keys

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Swap windows keys: Hello everyone. A have a desktop computer running windows 10 home, and a laptop computer running windows 10 prof. I would like to swap both licences Desktop running windows pro, and laptop running windows home. What is the easiest way to do this? Do I need to re-install...
  7. My windows key has stopped working after hardware swap

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My windows key has stopped working after hardware swap: As the title says my windows 10 copy is now unable to activate. I researched how i should go about upgrading my pc correctly to ensure i would still have my windows license in check, but apparently i did something wrong. Let me walk you through what i did, first i ran a...
  8. Swapping keys

in Windows 10 Support
    Swapping keys: This problem seems almost bizarre. Since I installed a wireless mouse and re-paired my keyboard and mouse I've found that highlighting a single file within a folder and clicking ATL+A to select all the files in the list no longer works. Today I discovered that the function...
  9. BSOD after Hardware Swap

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Hardware Swap: Hey, yesterday i swapped out my Intel I7 6700K and my Asus Hero VIII for an x570 Aorus Elite with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X. After swapping Out the Hardware i got alot of Windows Crashes during boot or while doing something. But a few times i could use everything normally. I...
  10. shady hardware swap

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    shady hardware swap: I recently bought a Lenovo idea pad laptop. immediately after I lost the charging cord. I took laptop to a small tech shop to get a cord. the guy plugged in 3 or 4 cords announced that my chaging port was bad and tht he would change it no charge.30 minute later he was still...