Windows 10: Hardware update

Discus and support Hardware update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I need a bit of planning assistance with a proposed hardware update. I'm currently using Windows 10 pro 64 build 18363 on a fairly old AND... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mexicanpete, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Hardware update

Hi

I need a bit of planning assistance with a proposed hardware update.

I'm currently using Windows 10 pro 64 build 18363 on a fairly old AND motherboard. It is pretty powerful and has no performance issues but the hardware incompatibilities with modern expectations are staring to show. I'm proposing updating to a Ryzen 7 processor with appropriate new motherboard, processor, onboard display adapter and M2 operating system ssd. My data is stored on a 2TB mirror raid.

I fully expect to be required to buy a new Windows 10 licence.

However I want to keep the current operating system set up and all the installed programs of which there are quite a few.

What I would like to do is simply plug in my existing SSD operating system drive, change any activation for windows 10 that is required and it works. I can then clone the operating system on to the M2 drive.

Having just been through a very difficult few days recovering from the effects of changing the BIOS battery which needed the date and time in the BIOS resetting (no problem) but also reset the BIOS settings to factory default, which were incompatible with the SSD's requirements. (ie it defaulted to a secure boot)

So my question is can I simply connect the operating system SSD as suggested. It currently uses an insecure boot MBR structure. Do the latest motherboards enable you to switch to insecure boot without too much trouble? Are there any other obstacles to watch out for? Are there any questions I need to ask of the choice of motherboard?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions - much appreciated.

:)

Mexicanpete, Oct 18, 2020

2. Standard Hardware Security not supported

Hi Paul,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below to run hardware troubleshooter and let us know if that helps.

Type "Troubleshooting" in the
    Windows Search bar and press Enter.

1. Click on "View All" in the top left corner.
    2. This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

Also I would suggest to check if there are any update pending with regard to drivers and to do so, please follow steps mentioned below.

1. Search for Device Manager in
      Windows
      search bar.
    2. Click on Device Manager.
    3. Check if there Yellow Exclamation Point in the list of drivers.

Make sure Windows is up to date.

Hope it helps.

Manjunath H

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Manjunath_H, Oct 18, 2020
  3. unstable hardware drivers following Win 10-511 update

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Apologize for the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Click on the Start button, and type “Troubleshooting” on the search bar.
    • Click on “hardware and devices”.
    • A pop-up will appear, click on the “Next” button and follow the on-screen promts for troubleshooting.

Also, update the driver for Keyboard by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager.
    • Expand Keyboards from the list.
    • Right click on the driver and select
      update driver software.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Oct 18, 2020
  4. btarunr Win User

Hardware update

Intel Readies P55 Chipset B3 Stepping Update

Intel's is readying a hardware update for its P55 Express chipset, currently the only core-logic for the company's brand new socket LGA-1156 processor platform. The new B3 stepping of the P55 PCH will bring with it a little more than new MM number and S-spec numbers. A list of changes is as follows:
    • New MM number and S-spec numbers for the converted products;
    • Firmware and minor BIOS updates are required with the conversion;
    • Processor MRC/microcode update required to enable future processors;
    • Recommended storage driver upgrade from Intel MSM 8.9 to Intel RST 9.5.
    Although it is listed that the MRC update enables 'future processors', Intel, in a statement issued to X-bit labs assured that the current B2 stepping of the chipset (found on current socket LGA-1156 motherboards) does not leave out support for any of Intel's new LGA-1156 processors that are slated for release in the very near future. The dual-core "Clarkale" 32 nm processor will be supported by both B2 and B3 steppings of the chipset.

P55 B3 stepping is pin-identical to P55 B2, and hence motherboard vendors will not have to come up with new designs. Sampling of the new stepping began as early as on October 02, 2009, and it is scheduled for shipment to manufacturers by the 7th of December, 2009. P55 is the performance core-logic for the LGA-1156 platform. It supports Core i5 and Core i7 "Lynnfield" processors with discrete graphics.

Source: X-bit labs

btarunr, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Hardware update

1. Hardware update - Similar Threads - Hardware update

2. Can not install security updates on a Windows 11 laptop with unsupported hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can not install security updates on a Windows 11 laptop with unsupported hardware: The quality updates on my computer failed to update. The update 2023-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5033375 failed with error code 0x80070020. The 2022-08 Security Update for Windows 11 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5012170 failed with...
  3. Can not install security updates on a Windows 11 laptop with unsupported hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can not install security updates on a Windows 11 laptop with unsupported hardware: The quality updates on my computer failed to update. The update 2023-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5033375 failed with error code 0x80070020. The 2022-08 Security Update for Windows 11 22H2 for x64-based Systems KB5012170 failed with...
  4. My PC's hardware does not support Windows 11 but still the Windows Update is downloading...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC's hardware does not support Windows 11 but still the Windows Update is downloading...: My PC's hardware does not support Windows 11 but still the Windows Update is downloading windows 11 and trying to install. If I install that windows 11 my pc will have issues because same happened in the pas.I have checked via PC health app my processor is not supported for...
  5. My PC's hardware does not support Windows 11 but still the Windows Update is downloading...

My PC's hardware does not support Windows 11 but still the Windows Update is downloading...: My PC's hardware does not support Windows 11 but still the Windows Update is downloading windows 11 and trying to install. If I install that windows 11 my pc will have issues because same happened in the pas.I have checked via PC health app my processor is not supported for...
  6. My PC's hardware does not support Windows 11 but still the Windows Update is downloading...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Updated hardware CPU, MB, RAM now windows won't activate even though I have the old product...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updated hardware CPU, MB, RAM now windows won't activate even though I have the old product...: Hello, I updated my pc today, I change the motherboard, cpu and ram. and now I have to reactivate my windows but my old product key does not work...
  8. Updated hardware CPU, MB, RAM now windows won't activate even though I have the old product...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Updated hardware CPU, MB, RAM now windows won't activate even though I have the old product...: Hello, I updated my pc today, I change the motherboard, cpu and ram. and now I have to reactivate my windows but my old product key does not work...
  9. Updated hardware CPU, MB, RAM now windows won't activate even though I have the old product...

10. How to upgrade to Windows 11 2023 Update on unsupported hardware

in Windows 10 News
    How to upgrade to Windows 11 2023 Update on unsupported hardware: If you have installed Windows 11 on a PC that does not meet the system requirements, you'll end up with roadblocks each time Microsoft releases a new feature update. Regular updates installed fine up until now, but feature updates will check the system requirements before...