Windows 10: Hardwiring & Wifi...the same password!!!

Discus and support Hardwiring & Wifi...the same password!!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just a general question. When I use a lappy/tablet/mobile phone on wifi, for the first time it asks for a password...fair enough, but when something... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by peter4076, Oct 29, 2016.

1. peter4076 Win User

Hardwiring & Wifi...the same password!!!

Just a general question.
    When I use a lappy/tablet/mobile phone on wifi, for the first time it asks for a password...fair enough, but when something is hard wired TV, PC, Laptop, surely it isn't the same password or is it? or is their another password for hardwiring, your thoughts as always most appreciated.

:)

peter4076, Oct 29, 2016
  2. Rprentice Win User

KB3093266 Has Failed to Install On My Computer Twice

Because this is so big in file size and you are on WIFI you should consider hardwiring to your internet for this. I tried installing this update several times using WIFI and waited forever with no progress. Connecting hardwire did the trick but even
    then, it took about 20 minutes to complete.

Rprentice, Oct 29, 2016
  3. LMDCTX Win User
    Ethernet connection fast; Wi-Fi slow.

Same problem. Already re-loaded wifi driver.

We have another Toshiba laptop with the same problem and ended up just hardwiring with ethernet cable; got frustrated trying to fix it. Both are running Windows 10

LMDCTX, Oct 29, 2016
  4. Bree New Member

No, there's no password required on an Ethernet cable. Just plug your device into the Hub and you're connected. WiFi connections are password protected to prevent passing strangers connecting - something I think you'd notice if they tried that with a cable. *Smile

5. peter4076 Win User
    Bree: Cheers for that, how can I disable this hardwired PC I am now using (I'm sure it asked for password 3 years ago) and go down the no password route?, because my wife's computer (same room) hardwired no password, is faster than mine.

peter4076, Oct 29, 2016
  6. peter4076 Win User
    I forgot to add, my smart TV (hard wired) also asked for password.

peter4076, Oct 29, 2016
  7. Bree New Member
    What Hub do you use? You're UK-based, so is it a BT one?

Are both PCs cabled directly into the router? Or do either you have a min-hub (or a HomePlug) between your PCs and the router?

Have you actually measured your speeds, or does your PC just feel slower than you wife's? Remember that the broadband speed is likely to be the limiting factor if you use any external speed test, such as BTW Performance Test

8. peter4076 Win User

Hi Bree, sorry for delay (family commitments) I have BT HomeHub 5, with 2 PC's, 1 smart TV & 1 laptop permanently connected, must admit I rarely have more than 2 items at a time on. When I hardwired my laptop it asked for password...so I entered the wifi password and works a treat, all items are in 3 metres of each other. Is there away around this?

peter4076, Oct 30, 2016
  9. Bree New Member
    There should be no passwords required for the Ethernet connection to a BT HomeHub. I can connect any device (as far back as old Win95 or XP laptops) to my Hub4 and am instantly connected. Sounds more like for some reason your laptop had problems with its Ethernet port and is using its WiFi instead.

If you hover the mouse over the network icon in the system tray, which of these do you see?
    WiFi:
    Hardwiring & Wifi...the same password!!! [​IMG]
    Ethernet:
    Hardwiring & Wifi...the same password!!! [​IMG]

The laptop should automatically switch between using WiFi and Ethernet if you disconnect or reconnect its Ethernet cable. The network icon should change from the 'curves' to the 'box' one as it does so. Does this work for you?

10. peter4076 Win User
    On PC hard wired I get TV icon with Network and below that written is internet access, does not name my Home Hub 5, on hard wired lappy I get the curves icon with internet.

peter4076, Oct 30, 2016
  11. Bree New Member
    The name displayed is just whatever you have set the Hub's SSID to, mine is still on its 'out of the box' default, that's all.

The 'curves' icon on the laptop confirms it is connected by WiFi, it's not using the Ethernet cable even if you have it plugged in. There could be a number of reasons...
    - a faulty port on the Hub (any of the 4 yellow ports should work, don't use the red WAN one).
    - a faulty cable.
    - a fault on the laptop's Ethernet port or hardware.
    - incorrect Ethernet drivers.

Try swapping cables and/or hub ports to see if the fault moves to another device. If is stays with the laptop, open Device Manager (type device manager in the Cortana/Search box) and see if there are yellow warnings against any of the devices in the 'Network adapters' section.

Thema:

1. Hardwiring & Wifi...the same password!!! - Similar Threads - Hardwiring Wifi same

2. hardwired internet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hardwired internet connection: i have a few laptops hooked up to a spectrum cable modem through a linksys befsr41 router..no wifi.too frequently after being after being away from my laptops i'll go to access the internet and cannot reach the sites.this problem is always rectified by rebooting the linksys...
  3. Connect to all wifis with same SSID and password

Connect to all wifis with same SSID and password: Hello, I have a Windows 10 tablet and have multiple routers in different locations. These routers all have the same SSID and password. Is there a way to tell my Windows 10 tablet to connect to all these routers without having to connect manually to each of them? In an...
  4. Can hardwired PC screen mirror to TV on WiFi?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can hardwired PC screen mirror to TV on WiFi?: So I’ve got my pc hooked up to my router via Ethernet cable, and a TV that is on the same routers wireless WiFi network. My TCL roku tv (q825) should support MiraCast. I’m wondering if my PC has to be on the wireless WiFi to screen mirror to the TV? submitted by...
  5. Windows will not connect to WIFI router with new password and same SSID

Windows will not connect to WIFI router with new password and same SSID: After changing password for a non-broadcasting network's SSID Windows 10 continues asking for a new network key then does not accept the new key. Password was changed for safety purposes and has been accepted by other devices on this network, most of which are Apple ios or...
  6. Windows 10 hardwired slower then Wifi

Windows 10 hardwired slower then Wifi: Our building internet speed is 1gb. All our Windows 10 computers when hardwired run at about 80mbps. On WiFi they run at about 200mbps. We ran tests using a Mac laptop and it tests at over 800mpbs and also on LINUX desktop they get over 800mpbs. This is speed we would...
  7. Network security key is not same as wifi password help

Network security key is not same as wifi password help: So for a few days now I have been trying to connect my phone to the wifi, I do not know the wifi password. I have the network security key as I have a computer admin account. From everything I have read it seems in most cases the network security key is the same as the...
  8. Hardwire Laptop to External Storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hardwire Laptop to External Storage: I connected my laptop via ethernet cable to my terabyte external storage, but my laptop doesn't seem to recognize the drive using Exploring...? Any ideas on how to connect (to ack-up my laptop? Thank You!...
  9. Sharing Folders/Files from a hardwired PC on a network to a wireless PC on the same network...

Sharing Folders/Files from a hardwired PC on a network to a wireless PC on the same network...: one PC is hardwired to the network. other laptop is wireless. Homegroup used to take care of my networking needs. now its gone. I've tried turning on the 'nearby devices' on both devices. nothing seems to happen. asks for microsoft account information? i see a new 'share'...
  10. Same password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Same password: Hey, got a used computer (laptop) and wiped it clean & installed W10 for my granddaughter (12 yrs old) ! It has the same password as my computer does ! Every time i change the password it also changes my password ! How is the best way to change hers but not my password ??...