Windows 10: Has anyone ever been able to share files between two Windows 10 computers? If so, how?

Discus and support Has anyone ever been able to share files between two Windows 10 computers? If so, how? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Today a Microsoft support tech took control of my two Windows 10 computers and spent an hour trying to set up file sharing. He failed. Can it be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Harrynicholson1, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Has anyone ever been able to share files between two Windows 10 computers? If so, how?

Today a Microsoft support tech took control of my two Windows 10 computers and spent an hour trying to set up file sharing. He failed. Can it be done?

:)

Harrynicholson1, Aug 10, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 10, 2019
  3. Naresh_K Win User
    Not able to share files over network after an windows update.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please note that Home network feature has been removed from Windows 10 (1803 and later builds). So could you please help me with the following:

1. Which version of Windows 10 are you using?
    Note: To check the version of windows, open run dialog box (by pressing Windows key + R) and type “Winver”.

2. What is the exact error message you are getting??

Here is an alternate that you can use. We have a feature called Map a drive to share files on computers on same network. I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Step 1: Re-map the drive: Here is article to help to map the drive:
    Map a network drive.If you are not able
    to view any of your computers from the other computer then follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 2: Check if the feature is enabled (make sure that this feature is enabled on all the computer connected to this network).

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Then click on all Control Panel Items.
    3. Then click on Programs and features.

4. Then on the left hand side, click on Turn Windows features on or off.

5. Windows Feature box will open. Please scroll down and under SMB 1.0 CIFS File Sharing Support, check the boxes next to SMB 1.0/CIFS Client and SMB 1.0/ CIFS Server. If the boxes are already ticked, please unchecked the box and check
    it again.

6. It will ask you to restart your Computer. Please Restart it.

Step 3: Check if the services are running:

1. Press Windows key + R to open Run. Then type "Services.msc" in the run box and hit enter.
    2. The names of the services which you will need to check are:

• Function Discovery Provide Host.
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication.
    • SSDP Discovery.
    • UPnP Device Host.
    3. Also Check for DHCP Client and DNS Client.

4. Right click on the above services and then go to properties.

5. Under General tab, make sure that the Startup type is automatic and Service status is running.

6. Then go to recovery tab and change all the entries (next to 1st failure, 2nd failure and Subsequent failure) to Restart the Service.

Now you should be able to use the map a drive feature to share files.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking on Yes or No.

Naresh_K, Aug 10, 2019
  4. Has anyone ever been able to share files between two Windows 10 computers? If so, how?

SHARING FILES WITH WINDOWS 7

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Have you made any changes on your PC?
    • Did you perform any Windows update recently?
    • Are you connected to Domain network?

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if that helps.

1. To share files over file explorer refer the following

article
    2. Refer article for
      file sharing
      over a network.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking, Yes or No.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Aug 10, 2019
Thema:

Has anyone ever been able to share files between two Windows 10 computers? If so, how?

1. Has anyone ever been able to share files between two Windows 10 computers? If so, how? - Similar Threads - Has anyone ever

2. Has anyone ever been able to get WOW64 to work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has anyone ever been able to get WOW64 to work?: I have gone through all the steps and nothing.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/has-anyone-ever-been-able-to-get-wow64-to-work/de162219-e3b2-42c9-828d-273cdfcb663b
  3. Has anyone ever been able to get WOW64 to work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Has anyone ever been able to get WOW64 to work?: I have gone through all the steps and nothing.... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/has-anyone-ever-been-able-to-get-wow64-to-work/de162219-e3b2-42c9-828d-273cdfcb663b
  4. File sharing between two computers speed is limited.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing between two computers speed is limited.: Alright. So I've gone through 2 or 3 hours of troubleshooting now. I'm using the basic sharing system embedded in windows 10 to share files between my main computer and a PC I set up across the house for backups. Both are capable of gigabit speeds and connected through...
  5. Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.: Hello, I need a solution to share files between two Windows 10 machines. Requirements Ease of use, easy to drag-drop/save files into shared folder Good security and must keep both devices separate No wired connection If anybody has any suggestions, links/resources or...
  6. How to share files between two computers over the network?

How to share files between two computers over the network?: What is Network permissions, I am trying to connect two computers together over the network and receive this message unable to connect ,to ... see your network adiministrator for network permission. ***Modified title from: Networkimg , permission ***...
  7. Share Data Between the two Computers

Share Data Between the two Computers: I have two computers on a private network. I need to share data between the two computers \ I have two computers on a private network. I need to share data between them. Some times I can see both computers and sometimes I cant. [Original Title: Roy]...
  8. How to sync files between two computers?

How to sync files between two computers?: Please recommend in-built options available in Windows 10 that I can use to sync files between two PCs through a network. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-sync-files-between-two-computers/9ca54b38-cfc2-476d-9559-2675dfd682c4
  9. WIndows 10 file sharing between computers

WIndows 10 file sharing between computers: I can access and open files in computer A that are on Computer B's hard Drives I cannot open files on Computer A from Computer B. One computer is windows 10 home and the other is WIndows 10 Pro. I have set up permissions for "everyone" on both machines and all discovery...
  10. Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10?: I know this is going to sound pretty dorky, but this computer has not been used much over the past year. Prior to expiration of the free upgrade to 10, I think I upgraded this computer, but was accustomed to using 8.1 and so reverted after the upgrade. I now want to move...