Windows 10: Has anyone EVER got network sharing using username/password to actually work ?

Discus and support Has anyone EVER got network sharing using username/password to actually work ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every single time there is a new insider build it resets network sharing to want username and password. Every single time I give it the benefit of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Angahran, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Angahran Win User

Has anyone EVER got network sharing using username/password to actually work ?

Every single time there is a new insider build it resets network sharing to want username and password.

Every single time I give it the benefit of the doubt, enter me CORRECT username and password and get told it is incorrect.

Every single time I then go through the hassle of turning off password protected sharing on each of my computers just so I can share files again.

It's getting old!

Could ANYONE at microsoft PLEASE fix the fact that sharing using username/password has NEVER WORKED in ANY build of Windows 10 as far as I can tell.

Either: a) Fix it so it actually accepts a username/password.

or b) Quit resetting the network sharing options with every new build.

:)

Angahran, Mar 6, 2019
  2. PMSG1 Win User

Networking username & password in Windows 10

Thanks for the reply Davmax1589. I tried your idea and it doesn't work. The first time I tried to connect to the Win 7's files after rebooting them with your suggestion, it did connect to the Win 7 network connection. It actually showed the shared files. When
    I clicked on one of the shared files it brought up the password pop up box again and I could not progress. I then closed the File Explorer window and started a new one, and it was back to the username/password box just from clicking onto the computer from
    network connections again just like before the change. I have no problem connecting to the files on the computer that was updated to Win 10, but to go the other direction it did not work. I tried a suggestion on another thread and it worked. I just had to
    rename my the other computer. I just added an "a" to the computer's name and now they connect both directions just fine. The only thing I can figure is that it may have not been a problem if the computer running Win 7 had been shut off during the upgrade.
    For some reason the Win 10 machine will not connect to any computers that were up and running during the upgrade. The other computers can share the Win 10 machine's files, but the Win 10 machine keeps asking for the username and password for the other computers
    in an endless loop of "incorrect username or password" pop ups. It is very frustrating, but now I am back in business. Take care. Matt

PMSG1, Mar 6, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Sharing a folder

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate your time and patience to work on this issue.

To know the username of your computer, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    2. Right click on the Command prompt icon and select Run as Administrator.
    3. Type whoami in Command Prompt window and press Enter.
    4. You will find the username of the computer, use the username and your password to access the file from the shared folder.

However, if the above steps didn’t help, I suggest you to turn off password protected sharing and check if that helps.

To turn off password protected sharing, please follow the steps mentioned below on your laptop:

1. Press and hold Windows + R key on the keyboard.
    2. Type Control and click on
      OK
    3. Click on Network and Sharing Center.
    4. Click on Change advance sharing settings.
    5. Under All Networks, click on
      Turn off password protected sharing

Hope it helps.

Please reply to this post for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 6, 2019
  4. Has anyone EVER got network sharing using username/password to actually work ?

Prompted for Username/Password when sharing files, despite the fact "Password Protected Sharing" is OFF.

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to tackle an issue that has been a thorn in my side on more than one occasion. I'm trying to share files over a network from one PC to another. I've got both PCs, which are both running Windows 10 Home, connected to the same router. The computers
    both see each other, however; when I try to access any of the shared drives on my other machine. I am prompted with a Username/Password prompt. As mentioned in the subject line, this is despite the fact that i have Password Protected Sharing off.

What's worse, is that I can seem to get the my machine to access the shared drives in ANY capacity. I've tried everything I can think of. Setting up a homegroup, enabling password protected sharing and using the Account/Username of the machine I'm trying
    to log-in to.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something that might actually get my computers networked?

Edit: When using a Username/Password I have tried specifying the domain such as COMPUTERNAME\USERNAME. No avail.

hilli_micha, Mar 6, 2019
Thema:

Has anyone EVER got network sharing using username/password to actually work ?

1. Has anyone EVER got network sharing using username/password to actually work ? - Similar Threads - Has anyone EVER

2. All network shares are failing with 'The username or password is incorrect'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All network shares are failing with 'The username or password is incorrect': Hi, First thing on the morning of Sept 11, on my Win11 PC I noticed that my share Z: drive to my NAS was down. From then on when I tried to reestablish the connection it fails with 'The username or password is incorrect'. I have not changed this UID/PW pair and it continues...
  3. All network shares are failing with 'The username or password is incorrect'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All network shares are failing with 'The username or password is incorrect': Hi, First thing on the morning of Sept 11, on my Win11 PC I noticed that my share Z: drive to my NAS was down. From then on when I tried to reestablish the connection it fails with 'The username or password is incorrect'. I have not changed this UID/PW pair and it continues...
  4. Anyone ever got this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone ever got this?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Resk69 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lubu9t/anyone_ever_got_this/
  5. Has anyone ever used Win10 PrivacyFix

in Windows 10 Support
    Has anyone ever used Win10 PrivacyFix: I want to know that is it safe to use install and Win10 PrivacyFix Win10PrivacyFix - Abelssoft.net These are the highlights of the software: 1) Foil Microsoft's attempts to gather your personal information 2) Optimizes Explorer and background services 3) Take back security...
  6. Network username and password for shared folder/drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network username and password for shared folder/drive: Hi, My OPPO Blu-ray player is connected to the same network as my computer. The player picks up the computer drives and displays the relevant folders Photo, Music and Video. But when I try to open any of the folders on my player, it prompts me for theusername and password. I...
  7. Anyone ever used "KeePass Password Safe"

Anyone ever used "KeePass Password Safe": Is it a software you can trust totally? Any advice? 132706
  8. Has anyone ever got Cortana to parse a simple meeting description usefully? Is it the...

in Cortana
    Has anyone ever got Cortana to parse a simple meeting description usefully? Is it the...: [ATTACH] I have never got a sensible parsing of anything liek this (Ironically, if I read the email which had this meeting as its title in my steam powered iPAD2 it will correctly identify a meeting, time etc. and offer it). I am sure I had programmes 20 years ago that...
  9. Has Anyone Got Experience of Using Flowcode?

Has Anyone Got Experience of Using Flowcode?: Greetings Earthlings. Newbie to this forum, go easy on me. I'm thinking about purchasing a site license for a program called FLOWCODE? It's a programming app that allows the use of (for example) flow charts. I'm currently using SUBLIME TEXT however I'm investigating...
  10. Anybody EVER got Network diagnostic help to work !!!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Anybody EVER got Network diagnostic help to work !!!!!: Hi folks This to me seems probably the MOST USELESS piece of software I´ve ever encountered when using Windows and I´ve seen a real load of "Bovine Scatology" in my time!!! When you can´t connect to a network Windows offers to help but IT NEVER FINDS ANYTHING at least...