Windows 10: Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?...

Discus and support Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Having to reorganise my desktop icons on each hotdesk I go to and is infuriating why can't I just lock them where I put them and they stay in place. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Gernominal, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?...

Having to reorganise my desktop icons on each hotdesk I go to and is infuriating why can't I just lock them where I put them and they stay in place. It even messes them up on my laptop. Surely there is a simple fix. My Mac I had at a previous job never did this!

:)

Gernominal, Dec 4, 2022
  2. Catbill Win User

Can't we sort Quick Access items?

In File Explorer, I want the items appearing under Quick Access to be sorted alphabetically. However, "sort" is grayed out.

Further down the list in the sidebar, items under "This PC" can be sorted. Why in the world is this not possible for Quick Access?

Catbill, Dec 4, 2022
  3. KeithM Win User
    Cannot permanantly sort items in Windows Explorer

You're not alone; I'm seeing similar behavior. Music folders don't want to remember their sort preference if the sort property is "Contributing Artist".

I'm still probing & testing, but here's what I see so far:
    • Other metadata sorts are remembered: Album, Album Artist, #, Title were the fields I tested. Would like to know if others see similar results.
    • When you close a folder sorted on 'Contributing Artist' & then re-open, the background context menu reveals that sort has reverted to an "unspecifed" state (no property name bulleted).

If I sort on "Contributing Artists", close & re-open the folder, the sort is forgotten:

Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?... [​IMG]

But other tags are remembered:

Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?... [​IMG]

Will poke around more tomorrow. I'm truly curious as to the "why". If you're just annoyed & want something to work, I'd suggest using the "Album Artist" field, since that seems OK with being specifed as the sort field.

KeithM, Dec 4, 2022
  4. Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?...

Can't we sort Quick Access items?

Hi Cathy,

Items in the Quick access view can't be sorted as you like. It's a special folder designed that way. The "recent files" section, files that are most recently accessed are shown at the top. For Frequent folders listing, its sorted as:

Pinned Special folders

Pinned folders

Recent folders

Two things that can be changed:

1. Mix up Frequent folders and Recent files listing, instead of them being shown in separate groups.

2. Sort "frequent folders" items by name regardless of type (whether it's a special folder, pinned normal folder or a recent folder.)

Unfortunately, both of this involve editing the registry.

For custom sort, AFAIK, that can't be done for Quick access.. and even if it were possible it might involve editing the registry and changing the shell folder bitmask values.

Two other workarounds would be:

1. Pin "Recent folders" in Quick Access.

2. Pin "Recent folders" as a separate namespace item, appearing below Quick access section.

REF: How to Pin Recent folders or Recent Places to the Navigation Pane in Windows 10 File Explorer

Benefit: Items in this view can be custom sorted.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Dec 4, 2022
Thema:

Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?...

1. Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?... - Similar Threads - Has sorted being

2. Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?...: Having to reorganise my desktop icons on each hotdesk I go to and is infuriating why can't I just lock them where I put them and they stay in place. It even messes them up on my laptop. Surely there is a simple fix. My Mac I had at a previous job never did this!...
  3. Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has MS sorted out being able to lock desktop items where I want them sorted and placed?...: Having to reorganise my desktop icons on each hotdesk I go to and is infuriating why can't I just lock them where I put them and they stay in place. It even messes them up on my laptop. Surely there is a simple fix. My Mac I had at a previous job never did this!...
  4. Desktop sort

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop sort: I have just upgraded to Windows 11. It looks 'cute' but the functionally is extremely poor. Not ready for prime time. Since access to the Taskbar is hit-or-miss, I decided to put shortcuts to all my main apps on my desktop. Clearly when you have a lot of icons on the desktop...
  5. Desktop sort

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop sort: I have just upgraded to Windows 11. It looks 'cute' but the functionally is extremely poor. Not ready for prime time. Since access to the Taskbar is hit-or-miss, I decided to put shortcuts to all my main apps on my desktop. Clearly when you have a lot of icons on the desktop...
  6. No longer able to sort File Explorer like I want

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No longer able to sort File Explorer like I want: I like using the List view in File Explorer. Also, in one directory, I like to sort by date, but have the sub-folders still in my view first. When I was updated to Ver 1909, that option seems to be missing. If I want the sub-folders first, I need to sort by name. If I want...
  7. how can i place desktop icons where i want them

how can i place desktop icons where i want them: how can i place desktop icons where i want them https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-place-desktop-icons-where-i-want-them/7c83c79e-b794-49fa-9fdd-4079d50e99fc
  8. Change Desktop icons from Sort by name to Sort by Item type

Change Desktop icons from Sort by name to Sort by Item type: Can someone share with me the registry location of the Desktop icons Sort by? I need to change it in our Default profile. Somehow I changed it to Sort by name and it's should be sort by Item Type before I did a copy profile. If you need additional information, let me know....
  9. Sorting Items in Windows Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sorting Items in Windows Store: I've just been trying to find a better calculator in the Store but I can't find a way of sorting the results by rating which was possible in Windows. How do I do this or is this another feature MS has removed? 54541
  10. Sort photos the way I want them, and make them stay that way

in Windows 10 Support
    Sort photos the way I want them, and make them stay that way: How can I sort my photos and make them stay the way I want them to in a folder. On Windows 7 I downloaded something from the 7 forum that allowed me to sort them in my chosen order and they stayed that way, ONLY on my desktop! How can I do it in Windows 10?????? 70037