Windows 10: Has MS updated the 15 shell icon overlay limit yet ?

Discus and support Has MS updated the 15 shell icon overlay limit yet ? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I want to install various services like Drop Box, Google Drive, etc. But on my old PC when I did this I lost all my One Drive green icons which are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vscience, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Has MS updated the 15 shell icon overlay limit yet ?

I want to install various services like Drop Box, Google Drive, etc. But on my old PC when I did this I lost all my One Drive green icons which are useful. Then I had to try and alter the regedit with all the icon numbers, etc. I know there is a 15 limit, with 3 set to MS themselves, so that leaves only 12. Would I be right in thinking if I had 10 Drop Box folders, that is 10 overlay icons used up ? Also any idea if this limit will be increased ?

submitted by /u/vscience
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vscience, Jul 9, 2020
  2. Diven73 Win User

Icon Overlays less than 15

Hi fantasiom,

I read from an article on ghacks (link below) that there are two places in the registry that the overlays are being "loaded" from.

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIcon‌OverlayIdentifiers
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explor‌er\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

Fix Sync icons not showing up in Explorer - gHacks Tech News

The second location is for 32-bit applications running on 64-bit windows. OneDrive is storing the same 6 ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers in both locations. I suspect this is because the OneDrive client is 32-bit, and windows explorer is 64-bit. It appears that
    the six overlays in the Wow6432Node are loaded first leaving 9 in the other location.

OneDrive will ask to "install icons" if it not all it's icons are not in the top 15. Installing icons means adding spaces in front of the name in the registry so it appears first alphabetically.

I would suggest adding spaces in front of the "BoxSyncNotSynced", "BoxSyncProblem", and "BoxSyncSynced" registry keys so they appear ahead of or next after the six OneDrive overlay icons. I don't use file locking so I don't feel the other two BoxSync icons
    are useful.

Essentially the problem is that the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers is limited to 15 and One Drive is setup to use 12 of them currently. OneDrive has introduced a new status column instead of overlay icons, but it seems for now this is limited to files-on-demand
    functionality.

Diven73, Jul 9, 2020
  3. fantasiom Win User
    Icon Overlays less than 15

Hi,

I've recently become aware of the Icon Overlay issue where people are saying that it's limited to 15 in the registry. The issue I'm having is that in the registry under the ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers I have 13 listed but after the first 9 that's when
    my icons start disappearing. From what I'm reading, all 13 I have listed should be available since it's under the 15 limit. Why would mine be stopping after 9? Are there others that are hidden from this list for the system? What might be causing this issue?

Thanks!

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

fantasiom, Jul 9, 2020
  4. Jools Win User

Has MS updated the 15 shell icon overlay limit yet ?

Icon overlay limit in windows 10?

As you may be aware of, windows 7 and windows 8 only allows for 15 icon overlays to be used by such programs as:
    — Dropbox
    — Tortoise SVN
    — Mega

I wonder if this limit has been increased in windows 10?

Reference:
    Windows 8 Max Overlay Icons

Jools, Jul 9, 2020
Thema:

Has MS updated the 15 shell icon overlay limit yet ?

1. Has MS updated the 15 shell icon overlay limit yet ? - Similar Threads - Has updated shell

2. Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly: I have a Shell Extension which changes the overlay icons for folders and files in my app folder. On Windows 10 it works as expected but on Windows 11 they are not shown/set. I don't know if this is a known issue, but I hope someone can help :...
  3. Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Overlay Icons from Shell extension not working correctly: I have a Shell Extension which changes the overlay icons for folders and files in my app folder. On Windows 10 it works as expected but on Windows 11 they are not shown/set. I don't know if this is a known issue, but I hope someone can help :...
  4. Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays: Hello,I am using a shell extension in Windows 10 that is setting an icon overlay on specified files. When the file has an Offline Attribute System.IO.FileAttributes, System.Runtime.dll, I am relying on the default grey cross icon from Windows for these offline...
  5. Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Shell Icon Overlays: Hello,I am using a shell extension in Windows 10 that is setting an icon overlay on specified files. When the file has an Offline Attribute System.IO.FileAttributes, System.Runtime.dll, I am relying on the default grey cross icon from Windows for these offline...
  6. Random icon overlays

in Windows 10 Customization
    Random icon overlays: I'm using just a very simple desktop which I've configured to look like Windows XP, so it is not complicated. I use shortcuts on my desktop and they should be showing an overlay a little northeast arrow indicating the icon is a shortcut. A few times daily, randomly, it...
  7. Icon overlays from shell extensions not showing in OneDrive folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Icon overlays from shell extensions not showing in OneDrive folders: I've downloaded the link shell extension, which among other things is supposed to show special icon overlays for hard links and symbolic links like this:However, these icon overlays don't show in OneDrive folders that is C:\users\myname\OneDrive and its subfolders:In the FAQ...
  8. May UPDATE has not yet arrived yet

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    May UPDATE has not yet arrived yet: Am I right in thinking it is not surprising that the May UPDATE has not yet become available? My Tablet PC will not have been in the first waves and I know MS is being cautious, for good reasons. I am getting impatient though, because I am struggling with some issues which I...
  9. Icon overlay limit in windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Icon overlay limit in windows 10?: As you may be aware of, windows 7 and windows 8 only allows for 15 icon overlays to be used by such programs as: — Dropbox — Tortoise SVN — Mega I wonder if this limit has been increased in windows 10? Reference: Windows 8 Max Overlay Icons 7177
  10. overlay on notification icon

in Windows 10 Support
    overlay on notification icon: Windows 10 64 bit Pro version 1511 [img] Anyone know what that circled bar is trying to tell me, there were no outstanding notifications in Action Centre pop-out. After a while I noticed it had it disappeared. As I'm writing this, I might have figured what it was....