Windows 10: Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?

Discus and support Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It's been probably about a year or more since I've played with Storage Spaces. Back when I was experimenting with it, it was simply horrendous,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by hsehestedt, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?

It's been probably about a year or more since I've played with Storage Spaces. Back when I was experimenting with it, it was simply horrendous, especially trying to recover from situations where I purposely "failed" a disk.

I actually played with it extensively at the time because I wanted to be sure that I could entrust all my data to it. I used it on multiple systems and with quite a few different hard drives. I came away stunned with how unreliable it was in my tests.

Does anyone have any more recent experience with it? Has it changed in any meaningful way over the last year or so?

I just thought I would get some opinions here before I go down that rabbit hole and frustrate myself all over again.

:)

hsehestedt, Jun 1, 2019

2. Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

I cannot find any articles on Windows 10 Storage Spaces and if there are any improvements over the Windows 8.1 Storage Spaces. Specifically, I am interested in knowing if the 70% threshold still triggers low capacity warnings. Over the past year, I have
    built up my Windows 8.1 Storage Spaces pool to about 50TB (14 USB drives), which means that at 35TB used, I get warnings to add more drives. The 70% capacity warning made more sense when I had only 2 or 3 drives in my pool, but as the data pool grows in size,
    it just seems to be a waste. How can I be at a reduced capacity in the pool when I still have 15TB of space free? When I add a new 5TB drive, I only get about 3.15TB of data storage (4.5TB formatted X 70% usable) which goes down to about 2TB of data in my
    parity pool. I really like Storage Spaces, but the overhead is a lot to take. Having said that, Storage Spaces is still the best solution I have found for my needs. I would just like to see some improvements in the next version. Any links on Windows 10 Storage
    Spaces improvements would be most welcome. Thanks.

GeorgeTaus, Jun 1, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

We just released a couple of new Storage Spaces features with the
    Windows 10 November update
    :

• Optimize drive usage to make the best use of all of your drives after adding drives
    • Safely remove a drive from a pool by automatically moving data off the drive and onto other drives in the pool.
    To make use of these features you'll have to install the
    Windows 10 November update.
    Our latest Help content briefly covers the new Storage Spaces functionality:

Storage Spaces in Windows 10

Cheers!

Jason Gerend - Senior Content Developer for Storage Spaces

Jason Gerend_MSFT, Jun 1, 2019
  4. Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?

Windows 10 Storage Spaces Improvements?

Thanks, Jason. It appears then that the November update has not shown up yet for my system. Good to hear that the new commands will be available via the Storage Spaces GUI. Optimizing drives and the Remove drive features were on the top of my wish list
    for Storage Spaces. Patiently waiting for the update.....

GeorgeTaus, Jun 1, 2019
Thema:

Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?

1. Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently? - Similar Threads - Has Storage Spaces

2. Reformatting and reusing an HDD that was part of a Microsoft Storage Space that has been...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reformatting and reusing an HDD that was part of a Microsoft Storage Space that has been...: I had a pair of 2TB HDDs that were a Storage Space pool. Recently, I replaced those two HDDs with a single 4TB SSD, removing them from my computer. My original plan was to reformat them and use them as external storage. I did not know that it would be important to remove them...
  3. Reformatting and reusing an HDD that was part of a Microsoft Storage Space that has been...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reformatting and reusing an HDD that was part of a Microsoft Storage Space that has been...: I had a pair of 2TB HDDs that were a Storage Space pool. Recently, I replaced those two HDDs with a single 4TB SSD, removing them from my computer. My original plan was to reformat them and use them as external storage. I did not know that it would be important to remove them...
  4. Reformatting and reusing an HDD that was part of a Microsoft Storage Space that has been...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. D partition space has been decreased

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D partition space has been decreased: I was shrinking D Partition to create a new partition, but before completing the process, I ended the process by mistake! I thought that the process has been cancelled and everything is normal. But I was shocked when I noticed that the D partition space has been decreased...
  6. Storage space

Storage space: I've been trying to install the newest update. However, it says I need more disk space. I've looked online and on the Microsoft website and deleted everything I can. There's nothing in downloads, temporary files, pictures, videos or anything that isn't needed for it to run...
  7. storage space

storage space: hi, I have a problem when I try to install an app in says storage full clear up some space. the problem is I don't want to delete any thing. so is there's a way to increase my storage play without deleting any thing ?...
  8. Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Has Storage Spaces Been Improved Recently?: It's been probably about a year or more since I've played with Storage Spaces. Back when I was experimenting with it, it was simply horrendous, especially trying to recover from situations where I purposely "failed" a disk. I actually played with it extensively at the time...
  9. Storage Spaces

Storage Spaces: I have a 4-bay enclosure of 8TB drives (32TB total) set to parity using Storage spaces. I would suspect I would be able to get about 2/3 (66%) capacity or about 21TB after allowing for parity. However it's telling me that the total capacity is only 14TB. How does that make...
  10. Storage Space

Storage Space: [ATTACH]This may seem like a silly question but can someone please tell me if something is going here that needs any action? I am getting a notification that my laptop that’s linked with my microsoft account needs my attention. When I follow through with where it leads me...