Windows 10: Has the latest W10 build disabled HDR Display Settings?

Discus and support Has the latest W10 build disabled HDR Display Settings? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I bought a new PC in January. It's a mini-ITX form-factor, fanless computer with an ASRock B450 Gaming motherboard, a Ryzen 5 3400 CPU and integrated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sad_bunny, Mar 30, 2020.

1. sad_bunny Win User

Has the latest W10 build disabled HDR Display Settings?

I bought a new PC in January. It's a mini-ITX form-factor, fanless computer with an ASRock B450 Gaming motherboard, a Ryzen 5 3400 CPU and integrated Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics. This machine using a 2018 65" Samsung Q9F QLED 4K television as it's monitor - because I purchased it to be a multimedia system hub.

The system is able to dual-boot between Windows 10 and Mint Linux.

I am running the latest build of Windows 10-1909, as well as Radeon Driver 20.2.2 which the software tells me is also the latest.

During initial setup of Windows, one of the things I failed to get working properly was the "HDR output"... I was able to find my way to Settings -> Display -> windows HD Colour -> Display Capabilities and there I found the ability to tell the system that my hardware was able to support HDR output for various activities I'm away from the system now and I remember there are 3 options but not what they are.

Over the weekend I returned to this problem and tried again. One of the first things I did was to perform a Windows Update, seeing the following successfully applied:-

KB4551762 - Cumulative Update for W10-1909

KB4537572 - Cumulative Update for .Net 3.5 & 4.8

and I see that previously the system had successfully applied KB4524244 - Security Update for 1909.

In my exploration of the Radeon driver I noticed that there was an option to alter the colormetric density of the display. It defaulted to 8 bits per pixel, but the Radeon driver had the ability to go beyond this to 10 or even 12, which would give me a greater dynamic range... I was unable to get the Radeon software to allow me to change this value.

When I dug further in to this, I noticed that the system does not recognize that my monitor has the capability for High Dynamic Range output. In fact, when I go to Control Panel -> Devices, I see it listed as "Samsung" with no model or other identification. If I right-click and look for properties, I see that it is using the "Generic PnP Monitor" driver, supplied by Microsoft - and dated June 21st, 2006. Yes, 2006. Version 10.0.18.362.693.

Just for clarification:-

1. This TV gives *stunning* 4K HDR output both from my Panasonic 4K BluRay player and my 4K, HDR-capable Sony Playstation 4.

2. I mentioned at the outset that this system dual-boots with Mint Linux... By default, I did not get Mint to give me an HDR-capable picture... However, a quick web search and I was able to go to the display settings and add a relevant ICC profile that has done the trick - I now get full HDR with Mint Linux.

So in summary:-

1. Brand new W10 system built on latest-generation hardware, driving a top-of-the-range 4K/HDR monitor.

2. Display proven to work with HDR using non-PC devices.

3. PC in question proven to work with HDR but with the Linux OS using a custom display profile

4. Windows only recognizes my display as "Generic PnP Monitor"

5. No custom Windows 10 driver for this TV display listed by Samsung on their support web site

6. Ability to manually tweak/adjust Windows 10 display setting s *were* available under Windows at time of purchase...

7. 6 weeks later I've now lost the ability to even manually adjust my display settings...

And for what it's worth, the reason I didn't set up the system and leave it 6 weeks ago is that when I activated HDR under Windows, I got the full dynamic range... but everything became very dark. I was unable to compensate using Windows brightness or contrast settings.

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has managed to get HDR working successfully with Windows 10, preferably someone running AMD hardware and even more preferably someone using a Ryzen 5 3400...

Thanks in advances and in hope...

:)

sad_bunny, Mar 30, 2020

2. No HDR Option in display settings?

Hi all,

Recently I've gotten a 4K HDR tv, a Sony 70XE9005. While I'd like to try HDR, I don't even seem to get the option in Windows Display Settings. I checked for Updates and I have the latest nvidia Drivers as well. I use a GTX 770.

Normally I connect DVI to HDMI, but I've tested the HDMI output on the graphics card as well.

I've tried googling using a lot of different terms, but I seem to find no one who does not have a HDR option in display settings...

Could you please advise me why I would not see this option in Windows Display Settings?

ArcticWolf- [O365], Mar 30, 2020
  3. I could turn on the HDR and WCG setting on initially today when I connected a new HDR TV.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are unable to turn on HDR and WCG color settings in Windows 10. This issue might occur due to incompatible drivers.

I suggest you to roll back the display drivers and check if that helps. Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press 'Windows
    + R' key together on your Keyboard.

2. Type 'devmgmt.msc' and hit enter.

3. Expand the display adapter option from the list.

4. Right click on the driver and click on 'Properties'.

5. Click on 'Driver' tab and check for 'Roll Back Driver'. If the roll back option is available, roll back the driver and restart the
    computer.

If you are still facing issues with color after enabling HDR on your PC and if you’re using an HDMI connection and your display supports HDR over a DisplayPort connection, use DisplayPort instead to connect your PC and display.

• If HDMI is your only option, use that, and then do one of the following:

Reduce the frame rate

1. Select Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings, and then select Display adapter properties.
      2. In the display’s Properties box, select the Monitor tab, select 30 Hertz for the Screen refresh rate, and then select OK.

- OR -

Reduce the resolution

1. Select Settings > System > Display > Advanced display settings, and then select Display adapter properties
      2. On the Adapter tab, select List All Modes.

In List All Modes, select the setting that includes 1920 by 1080, 60 Hertz, and then select OK.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Mar 30, 2020
  4. Has the latest W10 build disabled HDR Display Settings?

HDR streaming not turning on.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern that the HDR streaming is crashing in your laptop. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• What is the Windows 10 version and Build installed? (Type
      winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the make and model of the PC?

However, we would like you to update the display/graphics driver to the latest version and also suggest you to refer this article and let us know the status of the issue:

Stream HDR video on Windows 10

We await your response,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator.

Aditya_Roy, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

Has the latest W10 build disabled HDR Display Settings?

1. Has the latest W10 build disabled HDR Display Settings? - Similar Threads - Has latest W10

2. Enabling HDR has messed up my displays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling HDR has messed up my displays: I use a an alienware ultrawide not HDR capable as my main monitor. I connected an LG OLED as the 2nd display and all was working ok, but then with the LG set as my main display I toggled on HDR, this caused my display to flash and both to stop displaying an image.I...
  3. Enabling HDR has messed up my displays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabling HDR has messed up my displays: I use a an alienware ultrawide not HDR capable as my main monitor. I connected an LG OLED as the 2nd display and all was working ok, but then with the LG set as my main display I toggled on HDR, this caused my display to flash and both to stop displaying an image.I...
  4. Enabled HDR Display goes blank caanot disable HDR

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabled HDR Display goes blank caanot disable HDR: Hello,I appreciate any help I can get on this.1. New monitor ASUS VGA1 series2. Windows 10 older graphics card NVIDIA GEForce 10603. Upon initial boot using new monitor, signon successful, windows fine4. Used 'display settings' and enabled HDR.5. Display went blank6. Upon...
  5. Enabled HDR Display goes blank caanot disable HDR

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enabled HDR Display goes blank caanot disable HDR: Hello,I appreciate any help I can get on this.1. New monitor ASUS VGA1 series2. Windows 10 older graphics card NVIDIA GEForce 10603. Upon initial boot using new monitor, signon successful, windows fine4. Used 'display settings' and enabled HDR.5. Display went blank6. Upon...
  6. Enabled HDR Display goes blank caanot disable HDR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Cannot get HDR to function in display settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot get HDR to function in display settings: I previously owned a Lenovo L24Q-20 monitor running off a Nividia 1660 video card. Windows 10 tells me it is not HDR capable. On the advice of Lenovo, I purchased the L24Q-30 monitor with greater capabilities they say is HDR capable. Windows 10 still tells me my display is...
  8. HDR button is disabled but hdr is on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDR button is disabled but hdr is on: [ATTACH] hello, how can i disable permanently hdr from windows? it turns on every time i fire up call of duty. I have a freesync2 monitor, this is a problem only when i select "extended" from freesync monitor option, if i select "standard" there are no problem, but...
  9. Latest W10 build OK on KVM (Linux Hypervisor)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Latest W10 build OK on KVM (Linux Hypervisor): Hi folks Got latest W10 insider build via UUPDUMP. I had troubles with this build using VMWare -- wouldn't install on Linux Host. Installed perfectly on Linux Host with KVM/QEMU Hypervisor Networking OK (you will need to set up a network bridge for total access between...
  10. Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with games that dont use HDR but HDR enabled in Windows Display settings: I have not tried all games yet, so far Titanfall 2 and DOOM (OGL and Vulkan) both have issues with having HDR enabled in Windows and running native 4k. The colors get all messed up. In TF2 most of the whites get replaced with black or purple and sometimes the white parts of...