Windows 10: Has there been a fix/patch for Windows 10 Location Services since 2017?

Discus and support Has there been a fix/patch for Windows 10 Location Services since 2017? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I having a major problem with my geolocation services. I noticed a ton of forums on here of people with SIMILAR but not quite the same issues, and most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DustyKohan, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Has there been a fix/patch for Windows 10 Location Services since 2017?

I having a major problem with my geolocation services. I noticed a ton of forums on here of people with SIMILAR but not quite the same issues, and most of them are from 2017 or earlier without a solution ever figured out, at least on a publicly viewable one. The basics: When I log onto my Wifi at home, after a period of time sometimes minutes, sometimes days my device starts reading my location at a very particular spot in Colorado Springs, CO. I live in Pennsylvania, maybe an hour east of Pittsburgh PA. I'd rather not mention my exact address for security reasons, but I'm on the other side of the country from Colorado. I've had Geek Squad look at this, several IT guys I know, and they are all stumped. It has been going on for several months now, and I've done literally dozens of hours of my own research with no resolution. I'm not a computer whiz by any measure, but here are the details of what I've discovered: I have a Lenovo Yoga 910. OS is Windows 10 version 1903, fully updated. Intel 7th gen processor. My network adaptor is Qualcomm Atheros. My ISP at home is Xfinity by Comcast. I also hotspot of my phone often. It is a Samsung Galaxy 10, Android, ATT&T service. So I log onto my Wifi, and like I said, at first all is fine, but over a varying period of time the clock moves to Mountain Time, Weather is wrong, Maps is wrong, News is wrong, Cortana is wrong. My location moves from PA to the exact same spot off Sunset Creek Apartments in Colorado Springs, CO. Microsoft apps are the first to go, but eventually Google Maps and things like that will also show the same. Sometimes after a while, it will correct itself for a time, and I'll be back where I should be, sometimes it sticks for days, sometimes it will "flicker" back and forth. I log onto my Wifi at work, location is fine, Wifi at parents house, all is fine, friends house Wifi, all is fine. Now here's where it gets weird. It almost acts like a virus although it isn't and I'll explain how I know later. It will "infect" my phone so to speak. Before this occurs and once it happens, it sticks if I use my hotspot while I'm out and about it will either give me a reasonably good location, pending other Wifi signals around, or it will at least default to my Default Location. Once this "infection" takes place, I'll also be stuck in Colorado Springs over my hotspot. Yet, if I connect to a friend's hotspot on their phone, the location is fine, or at least defaulted correctly. Also, the location on my phone is correct if I open Google Maps, or a Samsung weather app or something. I do realize my phone is using GPS and my computer is using IP addresses, just mentioning it To save time with the basic, canned, troubleshooting stuff: I know ALL about Location Settings>Default Location. I've cleared every cache imaginable, cleared locations, both on the device and on my Microsoft account, clear Google caches of every kind including locations. Not only have I factory reset the modem, the computer, and the phone, but I've have Geek Squad completely remove the pre-installed Windows OS and pull a completely different copy off the self to install. They called it giving my computer a "lobotomy" haha. I also had Xfinity install an entirely NEW modem/router. All these resets have been done at least 7-8 while conducting various "experiments" and always the same result. Sooner or later always within about 10 days my computer puts me back on the other side of the country in the exact same spot. Sunset Creek Apartments, Colorado Springs. Not far from Pikes Peak Academy, there's a Trader Joes down the road, lol. Doesn't look like a bad place to live, but unfortunately over a thousand miles from my house. And even if it stops doing that on my home Wifi for a brief period if I'm 20 miles away on my hotspot it'll still take me to that spot in Colorado. This occurs even if I've been on a different Wifi with the correct location in between those two events. Like it's a "bug" that locks me there over my home Wifi and my phone hotspot, despite default location. I read that the large September Windows update was causing errors in network adaptors. I uninstalled all updates, and changed a registry key to prevent reinstallation of the updates or in some cases, factory reset ALL mentioned devices and applied that registry hack BEFORE they even installed. No dice, back in Colorado after awhile. In command prompt, we've tried ip/config ip/renew, a bunch of stuff like that. Pretty much, if you search it on the internet, myself or a paid technician has tried it. Venturing into the more bizarre, while pouring through these forums and videos, I found THIS video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pydSrUFs2Sk. This is basically a video showing some features and stuff of Windows Maps, but the location you see on his screen is almost EXACTLY where this thing is putting me. He looks to be just a hair farther north. The particular location it locks me is just a little south of what is shown on his screen, just below the "Pulpits Rock" area. Now that can't be a coincidence, of all the places in the USA. Up until recently, this issue only appeared on the Lenovo device I described above, but again getting even weirder, it recently started doing in on my work computer was well. It is an HP, also with same specs of Windows 10, and all other symptomns are the same. The "bug" comes and goes on my Wifi and locks in over my phone hotspot, but just MY phone. Also, my work computer is totally different Microsoft account. Again, when I'm using this hotspot, I'm MILES from my Wifi. Also, I've shut off my modem at times once this "bug" takes hold, and in the vicinity of my home, just picking up my neighbor's Wifi it'll still throw me in Colorado. Like I said, acts almost like a virus, but these devices are WIPED, as if they were straight out of the box when this is occuring, my modem included. Sorry to write a novel in here, but I figured I'd save everyone the time of the "have you tried shutting it off and turning it back on?" type of responses. Yeah, we tried that, haha. It there a MASTER location default or something like that buried deep in Windows and for some reason it's going to that instead of the Default Location I set? It there an upgrade for the Wifi hardware? Surely TWO separate computers wouldn't BOTH need it? I understand the limitations of geolocation based on signal, and I don't need turn by turn directions over my tablet, but the right time zone is a fairly reasonable request. I use Cortana for a ton of stuff, so aside from basic internet surfing, it makes portions of my computer useless. I also recently tried a little third party app someone had mentioned in one of these forums called "FixMyLocation". No dice. If anyone has a clue what is going on I would be GREATLY GREATLY appreciated. I've getting desparate. I'm even mulling around just buying a new computer, but I re-thought that when it started happening on my work laptop. All signs point to a brand new computer just doing the same thing. I would look into a different internet company, but if I shut off my Wifi once the problem seats, it happens just off the faint signal of neighbor's. I can't make them change internet providers, plus why does it stick on my phone?. Very desparate. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

:)

DustyKohan, Jan 7, 2020

2. Windows 10 location Service

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I understand your inconvenience. We will assist you with it.
    • Are you using domain network?

Location controls might be turned off or on, and you may be unable to change these settings, if you’re using a device assigned to you by your workplace, or if you’re using a personal device at your workplace. If that’s the case, Some settings are managed
    by your organization will appear at the top of the location settings page.

I would suggest you to follow the below path and check if it helps.

• Select the Start icon on your taskbar, and then select Settings > Privacy > Location.

I would suggest you to check if the Geo Location service is enabled and started. If not you have to Enable and start the service. follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Geo Location services.
    • Right click on it.
    • Go to properties and change start up type to automatic.
    I would also suggest you to check refer the suggestions from the below article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/location-service-privacy

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Location Services Windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the issue description you are having some concern related to Location Services on Windows 10. I would suggest you to try the steps provided below and see if it helps you to fix your concern.

• Press Windows key or click on Start.
    • Click on Settings.
    • Click on Privacy.
    • Click/tap on Location on the left side, click/tap on the
      Change
      button under Location on the right side, turn
      on
      location for this device.

Additional Information:

You may refer to the article mentioned below and see if it helps.

Use location services more safely

Hope the information provided is helpful. Do let us know if you have any queries related to Windows, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Jan 7, 2020
  4. Has there been a fix/patch for Windows 10 Location Services since 2017?

Location service is greyed out

Hi Shahriar,

Thank you for responding.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused for you, I suggest you to try the below troubleshooting steps and check If it helps.

Step 1: Steps to turn on the Location settings.

• Login as an administrator.
    • Press Windows key, type Location settings and select
      Change location settings.
    • Check whether Location for this device is On by clicking on
      Change
    • Also turn on Location as well.

Step 2: And as you are unable to set the service Geolocation service to automatic, I suggest you to run SFC scan and check.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Try to set the service to automatic by following the steps provided in the above post by Praveen Venugopal.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Has there been a fix/patch for Windows 10 Location Services since 2017?

1. Has there been a fix/patch for Windows 10 Location Services since 2017? - Similar Threads - Has been fix

2. A service with the following title _11b390 has been created in Windows 10 Services. I'm...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A service with the following title _11b390 has been created in Windows 10 Services. I'm...: It's been over 3 years since I used Windows 10. Meanwhile, various programs are installed. When I opened Windows Services, a service I had never seen before appeared. There is a service with _11b390 as shown below. I can't find anything like this anywhere on the internet. I...
  3. A service with the following title _11b390 has been created in Windows 10 Services. I'm...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A service with the following title _11b390 has been created in Windows 10 Services. I'm...: It's been over 3 years since I used Windows 10. Meanwhile, various programs are installed. When I opened Windows Services, a service I had never seen before appeared. There is a service with _11b390 as shown below. I can't find anything like this anywhere on the internet. I...
  4. A service with the following title _11b390 has been created in Windows 10 Services. I'm...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Authui.dll has been updated - new location?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Authui.dll has been updated - new location?: I was looking to do some modifications to authui.dll but it seems that the contents of the file has been stripped down severely. It's now about 90% smaller than it was a couple of versions ago and doesn't contain anything much useful. That information has obviously gone...
  6. Ever since Windows 10 the local network has been cripple

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ever since Windows 10 the local network has been cripple: Ì am afraid I have a sticky question. Since quite some time i have two desktops and a laptop on windows 10 latest update and the local private area network has never functioned properly. Often they can't even see their own shares and not the other computer(s). One computer...
  7. XBOX CONTROLLER ISSUE STILL NOT FIXED SINCE 2017

in Windows 10 Gaming
    XBOX CONTROLLER ISSUE STILL NOT FIXED SINCE 2017: The XBOX Controler (wireless) is a piece of sh*t ! Look at the original post that got blocked ! 7 page of complain and NO answer from microsoft yet ! MICROSOFT BLOCK TOPIC THAT THEY CAN'T FIX !...
  8. Windows Feature update has not successfully installed since 19/12/2017

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Feature update has not successfully installed since 19/12/2017: So as I said in the title, my Windows Feature update has not successfully installed since 19/12/2017. The version then was 1709 and the version that has been failing this whole time has been 1803. Although most of my Quality Updates are fine. [ATTACH] I ran the windows...
  9. Apache 2.4 Web Server has been working fine since 2017 previous Windows updates have been...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Apache 2.4 Web Server has been working fine since 2017 previous Windows updates have been...: Apache 2.4 Web Server has been working fine since 2017 as a localhost for testing. Windows updates have been the only thing that have previously stopped this serving .html and .php files, etc. I use IIS on another work related computer...
  10. Device Has Been Serviced Events

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Device Has Been Serviced Events: I get 40+ of these information events in the event viewer on most days. They are for lots of different devices. "ENVY" in the message below is this PC. The events are from the Device Setup Manager with event id 112. Device 'ENVY' ({00000000-0000-0000-ffff-ffffffffffff})...