Windows 10: Has Windows Update Taken Control Of My BIOS/UEFI?

Discus and support Has Windows Update Taken Control Of My BIOS/UEFI? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My laptop (Gigabyte Aorus 7 SB) had been working fine until it took some updates earlier this week. I bought it new just over a year ago and it's been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Old_Fart52, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Has Windows Update Taken Control Of My BIOS/UEFI?

My laptop (Gigabyte Aorus 7 SB) had been working fine until it took some updates earlier this week. I bought it new just over a year ago and it's been working perfectly until Wednesday after it took the updates

Sometimes I boot the laptop into various versions of Linux, using a bootable USB stick. I'd usually just go into the BIOS and choose the item to boot from and off it would go.

After receving the updates KB5016616, KB5012170 and 'Servicing Stack 10.0.190411.1852' my laptop's BIOS will no longer let me select the UBS stick's bootloader and I'm only able to boot into Windows 10. When I try to select the bootloader for the USB stick I get a prompt box I've never seen before telling me I can't select that bootloader because of security somethingorother

I also tried booting from a USB DVD drive which had previously worked every time but I can't do that now either, in fact the BIOS doesn't even recognise the USB DVD Drive, it wasn't even there to select.

I tried manually uninstalliing the updates, no result.

I tried a system restore using a restore point from before the latest updates went in, no result, except for within the hour Automatic Updates has downloaded the same updates along with one dated today and has re-installed them.

It feels like my computer has somehow been taken control of by Windows.

I could flash to the latest BIOS version but I'm a bit leary of that if something in Windows is getting through to it. Things may go awry when the new BIOS is flashing then I'll have no laptop

Any ideas, anyone?

submitted by /u/Old_Fart52
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Old_Fart52, Aug 12, 2022
  2. Megahertz Win User

UEFI / Legacy BIOS Mess and Windows Update

And I suggested another way that can be much faster.

Megahertz, Aug 12, 2022
  3. btarunr Win User
    UEFI Forum Releases UEFI 2.3.1 Specification Update

The UEFI Forum has ratified an update to the UEFI 2.3.1 Specification that adds important firmware considerations and addresses numerous engineering change requests. The updated Specification will be referred to as “UEFI 2.3.1C”.
    • UEFI 2.3.1C adds: An OS Indications Variable - OS/FW feature & capability communication – when implemented, allows end-users to make an OS menu request to enter BIOS setup after next reboot.
    • UEFI 2.3.1C adds: A mechanism which, when implemented, facilitates Open Source Operating System installations and OS- agnostic end-user configurations of retaining the factory default keys while in Setup Mode (see Specification for full technical detail of Setup Mode).
    • UEFI 2.3.1C removes: Runtime driver requirement on Network UNDI drivers - this allows UNDI drivers to be delivered in EFI Byte Code (EBC) Virtual Machine format supporting systems based on different processor architectures.
    Complete details on UEFI 2.3.1C are available here.

The UEFI Forum’s UTWG (UEFI Test Working Group) is currently working on updating the SCT (Self-Certification Tests) to align with the latest spec changes. Please see www.uefi.org for more updates.

UEFI Summer Summit Interoperability & Education Event:
    Specification Update Benefits Windows 8 & Open Source OS Implementations Microsoft to Host UEFI Summer Summit, July 16-20, 2012 in Redmond, WA

The UEFI Testing Work Group (UTWG) and the UEFI Industry Communications Work Group (ICWG) from the Unified EFI (UEFI) Forum invite you to register for the upcoming UEFI Summer Summit: An Interoperability and Education Workshop being held this July at the Microsoft Campus in Redmond, WA.
    • Hosted by Microsoft, the event is sponsored by AMD, AMI, HP, Insyde, Intel, Microsoft & Phoenix.
    • Online registration for the UEFI Summer Summit can be found at here and here. Please note registration is scheduled to close on July 9th.
    The organizers specifically wish to encourage add-in card vendors to attend the Summit. This is the last planned Forum-sponsored opportunity to test Secure Boot functionality and the interoperability of cards with UEFI-compliant systems for 2012. With the serious industry interest in Secure Boot functionality, this Summit is an excellent opportunity to test interoperability, as well as discuss the technology with other industry members.

btarunr, Aug 12, 2022
  4. Has Windows Update Taken Control Of My BIOS/UEFI?

GTX 670 Update bios with UEFI support or not?

Windows 7 does support it but, more importantly, your mobo BIOS has to support it. So, update your BIOS to the very latest and you should be good to go. Your mobo BIOS is UEFI, right?

True Christian, Aug 12, 2022
Thema:

Has Windows Update Taken Control Of My BIOS/UEFI?

1. Has Windows Update Taken Control Of My BIOS/UEFI? - Similar Threads - Has Update Taken

2. No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset: Hi all,Having major issues with my PC atm. I have not had BIOS or UEFI access for some time, I have managed but it's been inconvenient. Every time I have replaced or reseated a device my motherboards QLED would come up with boot green light error but eventually turned on If I...
  3. No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset: Hi all,Having major issues with my PC atm. I have not had BIOS or UEFI access for some time, I have managed but it's been inconvenient. Every time I have replaced or reseated a device my motherboards QLED would come up with boot green light error but eventually turned on If I...
  4. No Bios- No UEFI- No windows reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I am Suspecting that a hacker has taken control of my PC

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I am Suspecting that a hacker has taken control of my PC: This expectation has an evidence against it. First of all My Windows defender was disabled by the red error message " this setting is managed by your administrator". I thought that the way to fix this is to edit the registry keysIn registry i moved to >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >...
  6. Is it possible to upgrade the bios of my pc (which has no uefi) to a bios with uefi? I need...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to upgrade the bios of my pc (which has no uefi) to a bios with uefi? I need...: Above explained submitted by /u/NotoriousO [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8lu14/is_it_possible_to_upgrade_the_bios_of_my_pc_which/
  7. UEFI / Legacy BIOS Mess and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI / Legacy BIOS Mess and Windows Update: Hi When Windows 10 ran its automatic update I got a message "Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware". I think this is probably my own fault - I remember having boot problems a while ago (can't remember what caused them...
  8. Someone I know has taken control of all administrator accounts and taken away my admin rights.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Someone I know has taken control of all administrator accounts and taken away my admin rights.: When I try access the hidden administrator account, only mine and their accounts show up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/someone-i-know-has-taken-control-of-all/437f5891-7843-4f04-b848-f28b1af92dbb"
  9. Updating UEFI/BIOS with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating UEFI/BIOS with Windows 10: I am currently trying to install a new BIOS update for my HP Laptop. I have confirmed that there a new update available, but I'm concerned on how exactly to go through with it. I know I have to disable both my Anti-Virus software and Bitlocker Encryption, and I wanted make...
  10. UEFI BIOS Update via Windows Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    UEFI BIOS Update via Windows Updates?: One of the user tech's ("rockstar") on the Dell Community Forums reported he got a BIOS update for a Dell via the Windows 10 Updates. Was this a fluke or is this something that is coming for all or selected PC's? 123464